What's new

Is my razor (too) aggressive?

hi - my razor is an unbranded open comb and while it seems well made (the blade doesnt slip around or anything) i wonder whether it is too aggressive.

my beard is quite tough, and skin fairly sensitive - but i cant do more than 2 passes - 1 WTG and 1 mild XTG. the result is very good - a damn fine shave, not BBS but then i dont expect that. i could almost get away with 1 WTG pass - it takes that many whiskers off.. is that too much?

i dont know how i could do a "beard reduction pass" - its all or nothing.. i wonder whether i need an adjustable.. so i can do maybe 3 passes, removing less hair each time.

if i need a new razor which one to get is the next question! i'm thinking of getting a merkur futur (preferable as its available locally) or a merkur progress... :) i would just get the futur but it seems to be a love it or hate it type of thing...

Doing three passes isn't gospel; I only do two myself. If you can get results you're happy with, that's all that matters. If you just want an excuse to get another razor, I say go for it. :biggrin:

hehe thanks - i am probably trying to work out if i should get another razor or not. if spending $50-100 gets me a better shave.. its worth it! otherwise i'd rather buy a new brush :)

i can get an irritation free shave which is something i didnt think was possible, so maybe i should stick with it.

Doing three passes isn't gospel; I only do two myself. If you can get results you're happy with, that's all that matters. If you just want an excuse to get another razor, I say go for it. :biggrin:

You can't just thrust an AD upon someone, you have to let them grow into it. We all know what it's like to deal with the "Should I... Should I not?" conundrum every single time we browse the internet or go into a store...

Hm, after reading his second post looks like he already might have a touch of BAD...

You are getting a close shave with no irritation? Damn, I can see why you are concerned! Just kidding...if we all followed the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" dogma all human progress would stop. You probably need a back-up razor just in case you lose yours, right?

You are getting a close shave with no irritation? Damn, I can see why you are concerned! Just kidding...if we all followed the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" dogma all human progress would stop. You probably need a back-up razor just in case you lose yours, right?

And another in case he loses that one too
Oh, and back ups for soaps and creams
And after shave splashes/lotions
And razor blades

funny replies :)

i've tried 5-6 different types of blades.. one is a clear winner for me (gillette 7 o'clock green). i just get the feeling it's too aggressive but have nothing to compare it to :) like not knowing whether a ferrari accelerates quickly when its all you have driven :)

i am quite tempted by a straight razor... hmm... ! but not as a practical everyday option :)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I usually do a 2 passes (WTG-XTG) during the week. I am still getting there with my Weishi to get a BBS but hopefully it will be easier with a SS or SuperAdjustable as I am beginning to use them. To get a BBS with my Weishi I need to do 6 passes. Now, that might sound like a lot but that what it takes with a Weishi, for me. I think that buying another razor is a good investment so you can try a different tool.

Top Bottom