What's new

Bevel DE Safety Razor: Review, Photos, Measurements, Photo Analysis

Great review, Grant! Like @Tokyospike above, selfishly I'd like you to turn your scrutiny to a razor I use and like, so I'd vote Tech, though I have a pre-war and I think the post war is favored for it's rigidity. The RR Old Type is a nice shaver, mild but quite rigid. It is similar to the Merkur 1904/1906 which I have, also. I prefer both with a shim underneath to create a bit more useable angle.

I don't have a Fatip, but based on the rave reviews of rigidity, I'll likely end up with one sooner than later.

I haven't used my Gentile that much Grant. Perhaps @Raven Koenes (our Fatip Fanboy in chief) would weigh in with a comparison, please.

Beaming you up Rave. :stuart:

At this point, I'm leaning away from either Fatip based on information that I've been finding online about how they perform. It looks like I'm changing my mind. Maybe Rave will having something to say about that. :001_unsur

Great review, Grant! Like @Tokyospike above, selfishly I'd like you to turn your scrutiny to a razor I use and like, so I'd vote Tech, though I have a pre-war and I think the post war is favored for it's rigidity. The RR Old Type is a nice shaver, mild but quite rigid. It is similar to the Merkur 1904/1906 which I have, also. I prefer both with a shim underneath to create a bit more useable angle.

I don't have a Fatip, but based on the rave reviews of rigidity, I'll likely end up with one sooner than later.

Thanks, Adam! :001_smile All of the vintage stuff is new to me, so I appreciate the information. Right now, after looking more into the Fatip razors and reflecting on my experiences with the PAA DOC Satin (open comb), the EJ Kelvin (scalloped guard), and the Bevel (solid bar), I'm leaning towards the RazoRock Teck II or an actual Gillette Tech. I think that I should stick with a solid bar (or something similar to it). In the OP, I touched on how "I prefer the straight guard for its consistency in safety razor parameters along the blade cutting edge, making shaves more reliable with less risk of cuts." I should heed my own warning. :001_tongu

The RazoRock Teck II is advertised as having "modern day improvements to make the shave more efficient" and has "thicker chroming and increased weight". After looking into Gillette Techs, it seems like a mid-1950s Ball End or Fat Handle Tech would be good, though, for mildness. Is there a post-war Tech that is agreed upon as having the most "common" or "standard" head for Techs? If I'm going to spend more for a vintage razor to analyze, then I'd like the "right" one. As far as shaves go, I'd personally just like to pay less for a new razor that is apparently an improved version of a vintage Tech.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Fatip Gentile is not a whole lot different from the Fatip Piccolo, but it is a little smoother and a little less efficient. The Schöne is between the two in both ways. I have all three.

Grant, I have not studied this recent work yet. I really just skimmed it. The razor is not one I have any interest in, but the methods and the science and the engineering are of great interest to me, and I'll invest some time here within the next few days.

You are to be congratulated.

BOSC.2.Fully BOSC YOU ARE.jpg

What a great piece of work this obviously is, Grant!

What will be your next razor?

Fatips were mentioned, and then, is this a word, unmentioned? It doesn't matter much to me, but I will say that anyone saying the Fatip razors are aggressive is plain wrong. They are razors and hold sharp razor blades, but they are smooth enough, and not prone to bite or damage skin.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of your work applied to one of the Single Edge razors such as an ATT SE razor or maybe a Colonial General or even the ebarbershop Type O clone.

I pick the Type O clone because it is modern and readily available and uses the TWIN blade. I'm finding myself using the injectors - Schick Type M, Type O clone, and Type L3 - most all the time recently because they shave so well, and they are also very friendly to my skin, and exceedingly easy to shave with. The TWIN blade, which all these razors use, is probably the best razor blade ever made, which helps.

Not to get off subject too far. This is amazing work you've done, and I am grateful for it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Fatip Gentile is not a whole lot different from the Fatip Piccolo, but it is a little smoother and a little less efficient. The Schöne is between the two in both ways. I have all three.

Grant, I have not studied this recent work yet. I really just skimmed it. The razor is not one I have any interest in, but the methods and the science and the engineering are of great interest to me, and I'll invest some time here within the next few days.

You are to be congratulated.

View attachment 859008

What a great piece of work this obviously is, Grant!

What will be your next razor?

Fatips were mentioned, and then, is this a word, unmentioned? It doesn't matter much to me, but I will say that anyone saying the Fatip razors are aggressive is plain wrong. They are razors and hold sharp razor blades, but they are smooth enough, and not prone to bite or damage skin.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of your work applied to one of the Single Edge razors such as an ATT SE razor or maybe a Colonial General or even the ebarbershop Type O clone.

I pick the Type O clone because it is modern and readily available and uses the TWIN blade. I'm finding myself using the injectors - Schick Type M, Type O clone, and Type L3 - most all the time recently because they shave so well, and they are also very friendly to my skin, and exceedingly easy to shave with. The TWIN blade, which all these razors use, is probably the best razor blade ever made, which helps.

Not to get off subject too far. This is amazing work you've done, and I am grateful for it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks, Jim! I knew that you'd like it! :thumbup:

The answer to your question about what my next razor will be is... I DON'T KNOW! :ohmy: I'm stuck, Jim. I'm leaning towards a Baili BD176, which has the same head as the RazoRock DE1 and RazoRock Teck II with only surface coating differences. This razor is like a Gillette Tech, but with the blade tabs covered. It's inexpensive, which is a big advantage, and the blade rigidity looks very good.

However, maybe I should go with the Fatip Gentile (Cal's recommendation) or the Fatip Piccolo despite my reservations. Maybe a RazoRock Old Type should be my next razor. I'd like to try and analyze a SE someday. You're loving the injectors and you're not the only one. It's tough to decide. I appreciate your help and the advice of others here, too. :001_smile

As much as I like your examination of modern day razors, I still hope you will turn to vintage razors one day to find out what that Gillette magic was made of.

As much as I like your examination of modern day razors, I still hope you will turn to vintage razors one day to find out what that Gillette magic was made of.

You'll be happy to know that I'm settling in on a 1957 Gillette Tech (Ball End) right now. :001_smile It's in great condition and there's a 30-day return policy, just in case. The price seems fair. I'm about to pull the trigger, but I could use some help. How is the blade tab overhang with it? (I'd like an estimate in millimeters.) Also, the seller, details, info on the razor, and pictures appear to check out, but this is new to me. Is there something that I'm missing?

Done. I've made my decision, guys, and ordered a 1957 Gillette Tech. My first vintage razor! :thumbup1: I looked and couldn't find any measurements around the blade cutting edges, other than blade gap, so it looks like it's about time for a thorough analysis of such a classic razor that is still being copied to this day. :001_smile

Thanks to all those who offered their sound advice and knowledge. It all helped me make what I think is a good decision. Thanks! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Done. I've made my decision, guys, and ordered a 1957 Gillette Tech. My first vintage razor! :thumbup1: I looked and couldn't find any measurements around the blade cutting edges, other than blade gap, so it looks like it's about time for a thorough analysis of such a classic razor that is still being copied to this day. :001_smile

Thanks to all those who offered their sound advice and knowledge. It all helped me make what I think is a good decision. Thanks! :thumbup:

Looking forward to your review!

:thumbup1: Conrats for going vintage! Enjoy your shaves with the Tech!

Looking forward to your review.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I haven't used my Gentile that much Grant. Perhaps @Raven Koenes (our Fatip Fanboy in chief) would weigh in with a comparison, please.

Beaming you up Rave. :stuart:
Grant, I find that the only difference in the head between the two is minimal. The difference being one has a comb the other being a solid bar. I find that both grip the blade equally. Because of the solid bar the Gentile is less aggressive so you don't need to mind your technique as much. Both are efficient razors. The Gentile may not be as much so at first, but when you get used to it there is not much difference.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Grant, I find that the only difference in the head between the two is minimal. The difference being one has a comb the other being a solid bar. I find that both grip the blade equally. Because of the solid bar the Gentile is less aggressive so you don't need to mind your technique as much. Both are efficient razors. The Gentile may not be as much so at first, but when you get used to it there is not much difference.

I understand what you're saying, Rave, and I don't have a particularly better way of expressing what you're saying, but I might say the various Fatips vary a bit in their smoothness rather than in aggressiveness.

I don't like the term aggressive applied to Fatip razors. They have had a bad reputation as aggressive, and are, in my opinion, smooth, and not aggressive.

Aggressive means, in my understanding of it, prone to bite, hard on the skin, strong in the weeper department, and generally difficult to use. All razors can bite. All razors have to be properly used.

I find all the Fatips I've used, an admittedly small sample compared to yours, both rather smooth and rather efficient. Not aggressive.

Of course, that doesn't mean I know anything much about these razors or about aggressive razors, and I will admit the Fatips are not lacking in aggression to the degree my Schick Type M1 is, and that some razors I've used are more efficient perhaps than Fatips. Still, I don't know of any razors unable to bite, although I wonder about the double open comb Shave King in that regard, and its clone.

When I think of an aggressive razor my ATT SE2 comes to mind, and not one of my Fatips. Talk about a razor requiring skill and carefulness! Still, even that razor is, as someone said, harsh more than aggressive. And, I find, with a super shallow angle it's not so very harsh. Much is technique.

Perhaps some razors are more forgiving of bad technique than others. In that regard I think the Fatips hold up pretty well. I found them easy to use, and my technique is far from world class.

Just my two cents and worth less.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I understand what you're saying, Rave, and I don't have a particularly better way of expressing what you're saying, but I might say the various Fatips vary a bit in their smoothness rather than in aggressiveness.

I don't like the term aggressive applied to Fatip razors. They have had a bad reputation as aggressive, and are, in my opinion, smooth, and not aggressive.

Aggressive means, in my understanding of it, prone to bite, hard on the skin, strong in the weeper department, and generally difficult to use. All razors can bite. All razors have to be properly used.

I find all the Fatips I've used, an admittedly small sample compared to yours, both rather smooth and rather efficient. Not aggressive.

Of course, that doesn't mean I know anything much about these razors or about aggressive razors, and I will admit the Fatips are not lacking in aggression to the degree my Schick Type M1 is, and that some razors I've used are more efficient perhaps than Fatips. Still, I don't know of any razors unable to bite, although I wonder about the double open comb Shave King in that regard, and its clone.

When I think of an aggressive razor my ATT SE2 comes to mind, and not one of my Fatips. Talk about a razor requiring skill and carefulness! Still, even that razor is, as someone said, harsh more than aggressive. And, I find, with a super shallow angle it's not so very harsh. Much is technique.

Perhaps some razors are more forgiving of bad technique than others. In that regard I think the Fatips hold up pretty well. I found them easy to use, and my technique is far from world class.

Just my two cents and worth less.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I totally agree that efficiency is the correct term, and with everything else you said Jim. I think the Piccolo has a learning curve in that it's easier to get razor burn rather than cuts. I think the Gentile is the opposite in that it may take a minute to get the same efficiency with the same number of passes as with the Piccolo. I have gotten razor burn with my Gentile though.

:thumbup1: Conrats for going vintage! Enjoy your shaves with the Tech!

Looking forward to your review.

Thanks! I look forward to what's old becoming new again . . . new for me, at least. :001_smile

OK, great! I've also never used a vintage razor, so I'll be interested to see how it stacks up.

Cool. After looking into Biali and RazoRock razors that were similar to the Gillette Tech but not the same, I figured that I better just get an original Tech. Besides, the handle of the Tech looks better to me and the small blade tab overhang seems like a good idea in case blade alignment isn't perfect.

Thanks, Rave. I might get to a Fatip someday, so I'll have to remember this.

Thanks for your input, too, Jim.

Top Bottom