What's new

Charcoal Goods - Is it a "rigid blade" design?

Thinking about the level 3. However, he has none right now, so I have lots more time to think about it! But seriously, I am wondering about the design. I've done a search, and haven't seen a picture or a comment to let me know if it's the same type of rigid design as the NEW short comb, Timeless, etc. That is, full length clamp close to the cutting edge.

Anyone have a side view pick with a blade in it? Thanks for any info.

I have the LvL 2 OC. Smooth as silk. If you are used to aggressive razors, the LvL 3 should be easy peasy.
proxy.php

I've got the Level 2 and 3 OC and the Charcoal holds the blade pretty rigid. Not as rigid as my Timeless and in fact noting in my den does. Now with that said the Level 2 is about as efficient as the New Deluxe and a little more so than a .68 Timeless OC. The Level 3 OC Charcoal is more efficient than any other razor in my den including Timeless .95OC, Ikon Tech, R41 2013 etc. It takes some attention but once you tame the beast it's a smooth shaver and I skin stretch so I can be BBS in 1 1/2 passes with it. Love my Charcoal Goods razors. Brian is also a great guy to work with. So I'd suggest emailing him with any questions and he will get back to you.
Hope that helps!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2018-2-3_19-13-23.png

May be a great razor, but the blade is not rigidly supported. It wouldn't work well for me.

Every guy is not the same.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It can be a good razor but while I had one I always wished the bottom plate better supported the blade. Mine was a lol 2 SB. It is a very loud razor but what your hearing is the blade vibrating.

Have you considered a single edge razor? I only have experience with the Oneblade, but I understand that generally, they are very rigid. Moreso than DE.

I have an El Jefe and a MMOC. I use both. I'm also on a hunt for my #1 SE razor, but that's for the other forum.

My Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb is my favorite razor. None of my other razors can give me a closer shave.

Completely unsupported!
If it were supported enough to create a very rigid blade, would that affect hair evacuation? Or would it lead to clogging?

Not sure if this helps, but I feel my Blackbird OC is more rigid... And shaves great. But it is nowhere near as effortless as the charcoal OC2, which shaves just as well and as close.

If it were supported enough to create a very rigid blade, would that affect hair evacuation? Or would it lead to clogging?

Not sure if this helps, but I feel my Blackbird OC is more rigid... And shaves great. But it is nowhere near as effortless as the charcoal OC2, which shaves just as well and as close.

The Blackbird is also completely unsupported. As far as clogging goes, have you ever heard complaints about clogging with an OLD, a Fatip, a Pearl, an SC New, or any other razor that supports the blade all the way out to the edge of the cap?

My Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb is my favorite razor. None of my other razors can give me a closer shave.

Have you tried the level 2?
The Blackbird is also completely unsupported. As far as clogging goes, have you ever heard complaints about clogging with an OLD, a Fatip, a Pearl, an SC New, or any other razor that supports the blade all the way out to the edge of the cap?
Nope. Good point.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The lack of rigidity of this razor could be fixed. Extending the baseplate out towards the bottom of the razor blade just under the outside edge of the cap, so that the hole under the razor blade was filled and the blade was supported by the baseplate would make the blade very rigid.

To be rigid the razor blade would need to be clamped between the baseplate and the cap, and it isn't. I would assume the razor's design works for some people, and that the designer knew what he was doing, so I'm not saying this is a bad razor. I am saying the blade could not possibly be rigidly held.

upload_2018-2-3_21-35-57.png

If that were accomplished, the razor would still have the same blade exposure, and the same guard span, and the same gap. It is largely these three things which make the razor as efficient and aggressive as it is.

Nothing would be compromised by removing the space under the blade which leaves the blade free to vibrate and cause problems.

That is my opinion, of course, and I am not a razor (or any form of) engineer, but I've learned a bit about some of these matters from Mike @Esox, Anthony @rabidus, and Grant @ShavingByTheNumbers. If I'm wrong about anything I hope they will correct me, as I'm still learning what goes into razor design and function.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 857788

May be a great razor, but the blade is not rigidly supported. It wouldn't work well for me.

Every guy is not the same.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hi Jim
Blade rigidity is not everything in what constitutes a good shaver. There are a lot of other factors.
Example you have an SE2 and a SS General right? Go and see what razor holds the blade more rigid and I think you will find it is the General but which one is more efficient? Again I think we both know the answer to that and it’s the SE2.

I’d be glad to lend you my CG Level 3 OC and I’ll guarantee you haven’t shaved with a more efficient razor and it’s not harsh like the SE2 as we’ve discussed.
Great shaves my friend!

Top Bottom