What's new

Downsizing a dinner set

This is how you turn an eight piece dinnerr set into a two piece one in seconds. It's a good thing I'm a grumpy single old guy and don't entertain.

Horrible way to be woken up though at 0400.

Attachments

• IMG_20180128_034345.jpg
    IMG_20180128_034345.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I'm also single, live alone and cook for one.
As for the grumpy part ... it depends on when you ask me.

My last two sets of dishes came from Goodwill,
and they were incomplete sets to begin with.
4 plates, 4 soup bowls, 3 saucers, 2 cups, etc.

Now, I'm taking it in the other direction.
I'm going to Walmart and buying dinnerware for ONE place setting.
Nest month I go back and buy another ... and NO, they don't match.

That way, if I ever do have guests, they will each be eating from a different style/color of place-setting.

One thing I have been seeking out for a long time is Sterling Silver flatware.
Not Sterling PLATED, I want solid Sterling Silver. Antiseptic, Health benefits, etc.
I have two small spoons, but I want at least one complete setting to use for myself daily.
I search local antique shops but they haven't seen this in years.
Same thing on eBay ... the ones I find are ridiculously priced.

Had the North Ridge quake put us back to paper plates for a few weeks. Broke everything as everything was tossed out of the cabinets. Plates, cups, glasses, pots and pans, nothing stayed in the cabinets.

One thing I have been seeking out for a long time is Sterling Silver flatware.
Not Sterling PLATED, I want solid Sterling Silver. Antiseptic, Health benefits, etc.
I have two small spoons, but I want at least one complete setting to use for myself daily.
I search local antique shops but they haven't seen this in years.
Same thing on eBay ... the ones I find are ridiculously priced.

You're not looking in the right place.

Tiffany King Pattern 63 pieces (135 troy oz of silver).

Sixty-three Pieces of Tiffany & Co. "English King" Pattern Sterling Silver Flatware | Sale Number 3020B, Lot Number 978 | Skinner Auctioneers

You're not going to get anything more prestigious than early 20th c Tiffany and Co King pattern. You may need help hefting a knife and fork as you get older but you will know you are holding something. It is also something that will hold its value. It is more of an "investment" you can enjoy rather than "just spoons".

proxy.php

You're not looking in the right place.

Tiffany King Pattern 63 pieces (135 troy oz of silver).

Sixty-three Pieces of Tiffany & Co. "English King" Pattern Sterling Silver Flatware | Sale Number 3020B, Lot Number 978 | Skinner Auctioneers

You're not going to get anything more prestigious than early 20th c Tiffany and Co King pattern. You may need help hefting a knife and fork as you get older but you will know you are holding something. It is also something that will hold its value. It is more of an "investment" you can enjoy rather than "just spoons".

Yup, that's what I'm looking for.
Tiffany is one of those Iconic brands that I would be proud to own.
The price is quite reasonable, too ... the melt value alone is just under $2,000.

Yup, that's what I'm looking for.
Tiffany is one of those Iconic brands that I would be proud to own.
The price is quite reasonable, too ... the melt value alone is just under $2,000.

Was was in last July's sale. Hammer price was $2800. Get on their catalog list. You'll find more. We've done business with Skinners for 40+ years.

Silver has gone out of fashion. No one wants to polish it. No one wants the hassle of keeping it safe/stored. It has become a PITA to own so most gets sold for scrap value and melted down.

If you are in the market, pick a pattern and run with that.

I mentioned King pattern as it is one of the premier ones. Heavy (over 2 oz a piece) and there will always be a market for anything marked Tiffany and co.

If you are going to buy silver, buy something HEAVY and there is not much more heavy than King pattern Tiffany :)

Top Bottom