What's new

Shave first, then shower

I know probably most shower first & then shave, and I have done that many times. But I find my skin actually prefers the shave first followed by a shower where I use a face soap to clean my face. After getting out, then I put on aftershave splash.

Now I do make sure my whiskers are hydrated first plus even after bowl lathering I still apply it & continue to face lather some.

Also I have found that leaving my natural skin oils helps aid in a more comfortable shave. When I wash face first, it strips those oils & the shave is not as smooth.

Lastly, I have found that really hot water increases unnecessary irritation, so I use only warm, lukewarm, or cold water. For the shower that follows it is warm water.

So these are my preferences. Works the best for me. Any others shave first then shower?

Oops, accidentally posted this in soaps. Meant to post in General discussion forum. Maybe a mod can move it over there?
I moved it for you.

Like you, I shave first and then shower. When I first started shaving I shaved before shaving. At times, I have tried showering first but seem to get better results when I shave. My procedure is to use Neutrogena Face Wash soap.
proxy.php

I find that this leaves my face with some slickness. I then use warm water in the cold weather and cold water in the hot weather to wet my face. I wet my face before applying lather on each pass. I apply witch hazel immediately after I shave and AS after I shower.

I always shower afterwards. That way I thoroughly rinse the soap off of my face without making a mess at the sink.

I moisten my face before brushing my teeth and building a lather in my scuttle , so it has had time to soften the whiskers prior to lathering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I moved it for you.

Like you, I shave first and then shower. When I first started shaving I shaved before shaving. At times, I have tried showering first but seem to get better results when I shave. My procedure is to use Neutrogena Face Wash soap.
proxy.php

I find that this leaves my face with some slickness. I then use warm water in the cold weather and cold water in the hot weather to wet my face. I wet my face before applying lather on each pass. I apply witch hazel immediately after I shave and AS after I shower.

Awesome thanks!

Shave AM, shower usually in the PM...If I am showering in the AM, I shower first, then shave...I want the healing of the AS to do it's thing...I don't know if it would have the same effect if I shave, then shower, then apply AS. Plus, I want to enjoy the AS for a while after application.

I have done it both ways, albeit I like to shave after my shower. The shower really hydrates the beard and makes shaving that much easier.

I’m in the Shave first crowd. I’m prone to ingrowns, and for whatever reason shaving first greatly reduces the the occurrence of ingrowns and irritation

You may find it interesting that shaving before washing your face is the exact advice given by Gillette in their electric shaver user manuals:

Tips for a perfect dry shave
1. Always shave before washing your face.
2. At all times, hold the shaver at the right angle
(90°) to your skin.
3. Stretch your skin and shave against the direction
of your beard growth.

Gillette makes the above recommendation for a dry shave, but I have tried it and found the results to be less than ideal. However, tomorrow morning I will shave first, but with shaving cream. I always seem to get much better results with the electric when using shaving cream or shaving soap when I have typically shaved after showering.

Take care.

When I was used to shaving in the morning I'd shower afterwards. Now that I normally shave in the evenings I shower beforehand as the whole process is part of me winding down for the day.

a dry shave
I could sooner chew a roll of tinfoil than dry shave. I'm in awe of anyone who can pull that off.

I moved it for you.

proxy.php

"When I first started shaving I shaved before shaving."

Ah, the enthusiasm of youth!

:)

Most of my life I showered first. About ten years ago I switched. My skin does better. I think thoroughly rinsing the soap/cream is the difference.

Before I shave I splash with warm water quite a few times, then wash with (one of the, ahem, "several") shaving creams or soaps that don't do it for me as shaving creams or soaps. Then face lather.

I'm in the shower at night, shave in the morning camp. I started shaving at night after my shower but being in the military, I need a fresh shave first thing so it lasts all day. I found shaving at night I would have a 5 o'clock shadow by noon!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Shave AM, shower usually in the PM...If I am showering in the AM, I shower first, then shave...I want the healing of the AS to do it's thing...I don't know if it would have the same effect if I shave, then shower, then apply AS. Plus, I want to enjoy the AS for a while after application.

I don’t apply my post shave products prior to showering. I shave, shower, and then go back to the sink and apply alum, witch hazel, balm, and after shave.

I’m a daily headshaver and I hop in the shower before I shave to warm up my skin and use some moisturizing soap on my scalp. I then hop out and shave at the sink, and hop back in the shower to wash off all the soap and complete the shower. Then I go back to the sink for alum on neck, then a cold water rinse, followed by witch hazel splash, then aftershave/balm. It is a bit of a production, but it works for me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If one does this, it's best to follow Gillette's advice about leaving lather on for three minutes to hydrate...

AA

Top Bottom