What's new

Rudy Vey Custom Shaving Brushes and Restorations

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Rudy what is the last wood brush that you made ? and what type of finish do you use to protect the wood ?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Rudy what is the last wood brush that you made ? and what type of finish do you use to protect the wood ?
Good question....I try to use only resin stabilized wood. I really do not much wood brushes.

Rudy Vey

New batch of my Manchurian Two-band whites in smaller sizes have arrived. I also have a good stock at the moment in Shavemac two-band silvertips and Finest, mainly in fan shapes.

Rudy Vey

What sizes did you get? Still fans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, all fans. Sizes are from about 20 through 30 mm for the Manchurian, and 20-26 for the Shavemac - I have a mid-size bulb on hand as well.

Rudy Vey

Here is a brief review I got from one of my customers in regards to my Manchurian knots:

"First, the 2-band Manchurian fan in the Eagle style handle:

It continues to impress me more and more - this is an excellent knot! I highly recommend it. The tips are wonderfully soft, the splay is perfect, flow-thru is excellent, nice backbone, perfect for face lathering; it's definitely a keeper! And I would recommend sticking with the 1:2 ration. If someone wants a higher loft, with this fan, I would try to advise them not to go higher; the splay would be too much, in my opinion. At 1:2, it's perfect."

I got pretty much every size from 20-30 mm in fan shape covered!

Hi Rudy,

last year I got two of your Manchurians and although they had the worst stench EVER, I kept using them after trying all the usual remedies (shampoo, conditioner, dish liquid, Tabak soap overnight, borax). Still if rinsing with warm water and smelling the knot up close, some of the funk is still there. In actual use lathering it's not a problem anymore.

More importantly the two brushes with the Manchurian 2-band knots have become my "looking forward to use" brushes in my rotation (18). Strangely the brushes became slightly less floppy with more mileage. They were a little soft when wet initially and got even better backbone over time.

They surpassed a couple of TGN 2-bands easily and also a Shavemac D2 in terms of fun to use. They are actually pretty close to my 2 M&F "blonde" badgers. Which tells something about these Manchurians:biggrin1:. I will need to get my hands on more antler material and then I will contact you again for some custom work.

Here one of them:
full

Rudy Vey

Hi Rudy,

last year I got two of your Manchurians and although they had the worst stench EVER, I kept using them after trying all the usual remedies (shampoo, conditioner, dish liquid, Tabak soap overnight, borax). Still if rinsing with warm water and smelling the knot up close, some of the funk is still there. In actual use lathering it's not a problem anymore.

More importantly the two brushes with the Manchurian 2-band knots have become my "looking forward to use" brushes in my rotation (18). Strangely the brushes became slightly less floppy with more mileage. They were a little soft when wet initially and got even better backbone over time.

They surpassed a couple of TGN 2-bands easily and also a Shavemac D2 in terms of fun to use. They are actually pretty close to my 2 M&F "blonde" badgers. Which tells something about these Manchurians:biggrin1:. I will need to get my hands on more antler material and then I will contact you again for some custom work.

Here one of them:
full
Klaus it is quite odd that your knots smell so bad. I use one from the first day I got them and it does not smell at all, and all my other customers have not complained either. Could it be the smell is coming from the antler and not from the knot??

OK, well it might have been a particularly raunchy badger in hot persuit of Mrs Badger, that gave his hair for those two knots.:wink:
Certainly it wasn't the handle. We know how that smell can contaminate a basement workshop when getting hot while being cut with a band saw.:redface:

Good Morning Mr. Rudy,

Last night in another thread I brought up an idea of an EPIC Rudy Vey group buy brush. To my surprise, you commented that it was a good idea. What's the possibility of making a badger and blade 2018 group by brush?

@Rudy Vey @Billy Love I've dropped a suggestion on the other thread for people to set the "Watch Thread" flag over there to follow up with future advances of this idea. I'd suggest, starting another thread here if it looks like there's real traction. The original thread is broadly oriented, my humble opinion; a thread specifically targeted to this endeavor may serve to bring folks to the project and allow discussion of what people are hoping to see out of it. That said, I defer to Mr. Vey's preference as he's been here, done that. Looking forward to seeing what comes! Best, Chris

Rudy Vey

Just to let you all know, there is a groupbuy advertised in the shaving brush forum.

Rudy Vey

Group buy is closed, but one spot opened up, so hurry and send AZwetshaver a pm if you to be in the spot.

My new Rudy Vey is incoming. Should get here tomorrow according to USPS tracking. It's a Mühle 25mm synthetic knot in a very curvy Persian Jar variant. I will post pics when I have it, but here's the teaser pic Rudy sent:
IMG_4411.JPG

Reactions: nav
Jim, thanks. Yes, that's my favorite knot. My daily driver for going on five years is the Edwin Jagger XL version, but I wanted a curvier, prettier handle. I use almost nothing but these Mühle synthetic knots (my travel brush is the 23mm). Rudy did a great job on this handle. I wanted a cross between an Emillion and a curvy PJ, and this is it.

Top Bottom