SOTD, Friday, December 22nd, 2017

Shower + glycerin soap face lather and rinse
Speick shave soap
Matador badger brush
Revisor 5/8" straight razor
Cool washcloth rinse
Speick aftershave

proxy.php

AOS Sandalwood Cream * Fili 14 Rejoneo * Sorrentino* CE Mysore Sandalwood * AOS Sandalwood/Cypress EDT

12.22.2017 sotd.gif

Have a nice Friday

I don't often turn to the version 2.0 Shake Sharp, prefering as I do to double load the version 1.0, but even without that ability the 2.0 is a great performer, fine two pass face and head shave with a mid 70s Platinum Plus.
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

MLS The Kraken
Stirling Butterscotch Fan
NDC Gold Gillette Tech
Personna Platinum (6)
MLS The Kraken Splash

I'm off for Christmas weekend!
proxy.php

Saturday Planned SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: Supply Provision The Single Edge
Blade: Schick (D1)
Brush: SOC 2012 Limited Edition Badger\Boar
Bowl: TDG Style 4 5½” Cypress Sinker Log
Pre-Shave Scrub: Saponificio Varesino Honey & Grain
Pre-Shave Oil: Black Ship Grooming
Shave Soap: Black Ship Grooming Cap'n Dark Side
Aftershave: Black Ship Grooming Cap'n Dark Side

Last edited:
Stately presentation, Erich. How did you like the Salter Rose? I've only tried the Indian Sandalwood cream.
Thank you for your kind words Ron. I really liked the Salter Rose. A subtle scent but still quite detectable. The performance was on par with TOBS IMHO.

12/22/17
Art of Shaving Unscented Pre Shave Oil
Taylor of Old Bond Street "Mr. Taylor"
H.L. Thater 4376/3 Silver Tip
FaTip Grande
Feather (6)
Omega Alum Stick
La Toja
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Versave "Pour Homme"
SOTD12-22-17.jpg

Phoenix and Beau - Borealis
Zenith XXL Manchurian
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

proxy.php

The stunning albeit controversial artwork featured on Phoenix and Beau's Whitechapel is what initially attracted me to the brand, but the performance is what kept me. As a result, when I got a glimpse of the seasonal "Borealis", it was a no-brainer. I love the stark, rich colors contrasted against the black background.

I've seen lackluster reviews of their base, and the only reason I can fathom that is due to the thirst of this soap. If you've had disappointing results from this base in the past, consider revisiting it with quite a bit more water. I find this base to perform very similarly to Barrister and Mann's white label with just about the same water requirement. You'll certainly be rewarded with excellent slickness from the extra water.

There are very few soaps in my den that don't have matching post-shave products. I know it's a ridiculous stipulation because it's quite rare that a soap's fragrance lingers much longer than the shave, but it's my own weirdness. Phoenix and Beau has had a placeholder on their site for some time now, teasing at upcoming aftershaves. I'm ready for them to roll these out.

The documented scent notes on Borealis are Siberian fir, Scotch pine, frankincense, tangerine, star anise, and allspice. Prior to actually receiving the soap, I'd considered a few of the splashes in my collection with fir and frankincense notes with which to pair it. However, upon opening the tub, the decision was easy. Tallow and Steel's "Boreal" is a very close match.

Borealis opens with bold fir and pine notes filled in by a low key citrus. The fragrance gets colder and more resinous as the shave progresses. If I didn't know going in that anise was a component, I wouldn't have detected it. Instead, I believe it, along with the tangerine, is responsible for the crisp, cold feeling. The allspice also keeps a back seat to the fir and pine, lending only hints of cinnamon and clove. This is a nice Winter fragrance that's far from being a novel Christmastime scent.

While not a copy, Tallow and Steel's Boreal pairs quite well with Borealis, trading the cooling anise for minty monarda and the resinous frankincense for the sharp and woody cedarwood. Borealis is the festive brother of the wintery Boreal. These two were meant for each other. Other potential pairs in my den could be Barrister and Mann's "Le Grand Chypre" and "First Snow".

Phoenix and Beau - Borealis
Zenith XXL Manchurian
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

proxy.php

The stunning albeit controversial artwork featured on Phoenix and Beau's Whitechapel is what initially attracted me to the brand, but the performance is what kept me. As a result, when I got a glimpse of the seasonal "Borealis", it was a no-brainer. I love the stark, rich colors contrasted against the black background.

I've seen lackluster reviews of their base, and the only reason I can fathom that is due to the thirst of this soap. If you've had disappointing results from this base in the past, consider revisiting it with quite a bit more water. I find this base to perform very similarly to Barrister and Mann's white label with just about the same water requirement. You'll certainly be rewarded with excellent slickness from the extra water.

There are very few soaps in my den that don't have matching post-shave products. I know it's a ridiculous stipulation because it's quite rare that a soap's fragrance lingers much longer than the shave, but it's my own weirdness. Phoenix and Beau has had a placeholder on their site for some time now, teasing at upcoming aftershaves. I'm ready for them to roll these out.

The documented scent notes on Borealis are Siberian fir, Scotch pine, frankincense, tangerine, star anise, and allspice. Prior to actually receiving the soap, I'd considered a few of the splashes in my collection with fir and frankincense notes with which to pair it. However, upon opening the tub, the decision was easy. Tallow and Steel's "Boreal" is a very close match.

Borealis opens with bold fir and pine notes filled in by a low key citrus. The fragrance gets colder and more resinous as the shave progresses. If I didn't know going in that anise was a component, I wouldn't have detected it. Instead, I believe it, along with the tangerine, is responsible for the crisp, cold feeling. The allspice also keeps a back seat to the fir and pine, lending only hints of cinnamon and clove. This is a nice Winter fragrance that's far from being a novel Christmastime scent.

While not a copy, Tallow and Steel's Boreal pairs quite well with Borealis, trading the cooling anise for minty monarda and the resinous frankincense for the sharp and woody cedarwood. Borealis is the festive brother of the wintery Boreal. These two were meant for each other. Other potential pairs in my den could be Barrister and Mann's "Le Grand Chypre" and "First Snow".
I really enjoyed your write up. I too have a strong pull to use matching AS to soaps when possible. Your comparisons of products did their job as well, encouraging me to consider more/new products.

Star 1912 with carbon blade
Used the Ever Ready boar brush on a hard soap that I picked up over the summer from Black Tie Razor. I used the El Hefe scent (one adds drops to the unscented soap when creating lather in the mug) and balm.
My step brother loves it; I think It's ok for a changeup; my wife...not a favorite. But the shave was nice anyway! About as smooth as can be.
20171222_104451.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom