What's new

Zassenhaus Model 105

I just acquired and restored this beauty. It's vintage, not sure exactly what age but it seems like they were made in the 40's or so. After a small amount of work on it (metal polish on the top, soaking the burrs and cleaning) I have started using it for espresso on the weekends, and I have to say, I love the effect. I can taste a difference in the coffee due to a finer grind than my electric grinder was capable of. I also like that its small and requires no electricity (other than my own!). 24129639_10213036811268694_3510952323326979920_n.jpg

Anyone else using a hand grinder (vintage or otherwise)? What are your reasons for that versus an electric?
I have a couple of modern hand grinders. The first one is a stepless grinder, purchased exclusively for espresso in order to save hundreds of dollars when compared to buying an equivalent electric model. Second one was purchased to displace the electric grinder from the kitchen countertop and grind for all brew methods. But so far its main role is travel grinder and alternative espresso grinder. The electric grinder still gets a workout for drip brewing.

Anyone else using a hand grinder (vintage or otherwise)? What are your reasons for that versus an electric?

I have 3 hand grinders.

Hario Mini (espresso)
Hario Skerton (unmodified)
Kyocera CM-50 (OE modified)

I have 3 electric grinders at this house.

2 Barstza Forte-BG
Mazzer Super Jolly (self designed & modified electronic single dose)

I use one of the hand brew grinders when I have more than one origin roasted and the 2 electric are full.

I always take the modified CM-50 when I travel.

I use a Hario Skerton Plus (the most recent version of the Hario Skerton with the burr stabilizer). Less noise than the whirly blade grinder, less mess, less counter space, and a more uniform and predictable grind. I also have a Czech Tramp 3 vintage 1970-1980 or so, but the capacity is very small and it's not nearly as fast as the Hario.

Top Bottom