Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

• Semogue Owners Club 2-Band Finest Badger 24mm
  • Acca Kappa 1869 Almond Shaving Soap
  • Edwin Jagger DE89 "Barley"
  • Gillette Super Silver
  • Geo F. Trumper - Sandalwood Skin Food
This Semogue has been my go-to-brush for nearly 4 years, but it doesn't get that much love anymore these days.
First I got my Yaqi brushes a few months ago and I really love one of those.
And last week I got my grandfathers reknotted brush back, plus I finally got my custom made J&T Chief in the mail.

So with all these options I have right now, I really have to force myself to pick another brush instead of the three I just mentioned.

So today the Semogue Owners Club 2-Band Finest Badger 24mm was "forced upon me".
And to be honest, it's still an awesome brush that I can recommend to anyone.

But just like a kid, I always like to play with my new toys. :D

12/6/2017 - Jamie's Night Shave. (last night)

Razor is a rare Schick Grip Injector with a type N head and black handle. This is my Favorite SOAP COMMANDER Scent, just a sweet musk! Master Topaz is the Perfect pairing.

Date: 07 December 2017 "SOTN"

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft "BEEHIVE" Synth. 28/63mm knot
Lather: - Route 66 ~ Bourbon Jungle 6x
Bowl: - Captain's Choice
Razor: - Colonial Razors ~ General SS
Blade: - Feather Professional Super #5
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic

12/7/17
Proraso Green Pre Shave Cream
Reef Point "Peerless"
Vie-Long 12705
11/16 George Wostenholm "Pipe Razor"
Tony Miller 3" Heirloom Steerhide trop
Omega Alum Stick
Murray & Lanman Florida Water
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Versace "Pour Homme"

SOTD12-7-17.jpg

Thursday

Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best
Cream: Taylor - Shave Shop
Razor: Adams OC
Blade: Polsilver
A/S: Barbasol Pacific Rush (Why???? it's 7º out. I'm already cold enough!) + Nivea Sensitive
Cologne / Fragrance: T&H 1805

Mike

Thursday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Bath Soap-Arkadia
Soap: Crowne & Crane Thuringian Forest
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Vintage 70’s Wilkinson Sword “Light Brigade” NEW Chromium (Shave #21)
Brush: Knotsinyourhead/Whipped Dog Silvertip-24mmx54mm
Aftershave: Stirling Agar w/Menthol

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Crowne & Crane Thuringian Forest today. 20 seconds to load the Cowboy Classic/Whipped Dog Silvertip brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. I moved the Vintage Wilkinson Sword “Light Brigade” NEW Chromium to my Gillette Slim. Excellent smooth, close shave. I finished with Stirling Agar aftershave.

Bob

proxy.php

Yesterday's shave: Wonderful!

Today's shave brings it back towards the mean.
Woke up late; 2 pass WTG then ATG with Schick G and new Schick blade; Maggard synthetic brush.
Felt rushed and rough with some stubble still felt in my trouble spots afterwards. Oh well. We will always have yesterday (said romantically).
20171207_065711.jpg

DECEMBER 7th, 2017 - Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day
Thursday's shave
Shower + Mystic Water Pre-shave lather / Hot Towel & rinse

Gillette Fatboy E-1
Astra SP (1)
Rubberset 400-4 / TGN finest
Mystic Water Barbershop Shave Soap
Lucky Tiger Aftershave Salve
Barbasol Pacific Rush Aftershave Splash
Canoe EdT

proxy.php

Good Day to you Gentlemen

Thursday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Bath Soap-Arkadia
Soap: Crowne & Crane Thuringian Forest
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Vintage 70’s Wilkinson Sword “Light Brigade” NEW Chromium (Shave #21)
Brush: Knotsinyourhead/Whipped Dog Silvertip-24mmx54mm
Aftershave: Stirling Agar w/Menthol

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Crowne & Crane Thuringian Forest today. 20 seconds to load the Cowboy Classic/Whipped Dog Silvertip brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. I moved the Vintage Wilkinson Sword “Light Brigade” NEW Chromium to my Gillette Slim. Excellent smooth, close shave. I finished with Stirling Agar aftershave.

Bob

proxy.php

What a Beautiful Brush Bob, Outstanding!

SOTD 2017-12-07

Hot shower
Schick Injector Type L1 + Schick (5)
Semogue 830
Tabac shaving cream
Tabac after shave lotion

Razor: Rathburn Bros.

Strop: TM Spanish Bridle

Soap: Proraso Sandalwood

Brush: Semogue Boar

Aftershave #1: Thayer’s WH

Aftershave #2: Cap’n Choice Sandalwood

Balm: Cap’n Choice Sandalwood

Talc: Clubman

fullsizeoutput_f78.jpeg

TGIF SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: ATT Aluminum Bamboo SE1
Blade: Schick Proline (D6)
Brush: SV 2.0 Manchurian HMW 26mm
Bowl: Corbell Pedestal Bowl 4"
Pre-Shave Scrub: Saponificio Varesino Honey & Grain
Pre-Shave Oil: Saponificio Varesino
Shave Soap: Saponificio Varesino SE Cosmo
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino SE Cosmo

12/6/2017 - Jamie's Night Shave. (last night)

Razor is a rare Schick Grip Injector with a type N head and black handle. This is my Favorite SOAP COMMANDER Scent, just a sweet musk! Master Topaz is the Perfect pairing.

Very nice setup, I like that razor. I've never seen one of those, it looks like a tennis racquet handle.

SOTD December 7th
Razor: Gillette Rocket
Blade: Feather
Soap: Local Gent's Blackmoor
Brush: VDH Badger
AS 1: Dickinsons WH
AS 2: English Leather
image.jpeg

Barrister and Mann - Promises
Wolf Whiskers | Raptor | Black Wolf
Radio 1912 | Gem PTFE

proxy.php

Complexity is almost synonymous with Barrister and Mann fragrances, but Promises is deceptively complex. The fragrance is loaded with notes that could easily become weighty, but instead, this is what I categorize as light. Yet it easily remains present for at least six hours. I probably confused the matter by using the splash first without the reference of the soap. In my experience, in most cases, paired soaps are simply a muted, less complex representation of the envisioned fragrance. I shave every other day, and on non-shave days, I often apply an aftershave on my head following my shower. Doing this with Promises resulted in experiencing a very pleasant fragrance for a good portion of my day, but giving me expectations from the soap that were quite different---not just muted. The splash opened with surprising honeyed bourbon-esqe note. It’s surprising because Barrister and Mann refused to release a paired splash for the now discontinued “Fireside” citing the lingering fragrance of cognac would not be well received. I would be fine with it, but I see the point. That being their stance, bourbon was the last thing I expected from the Promises splash. However, just as I was trying to explain it away, the note became less familiar. I suspect the combination of the denatured alcohol and whatever this peculiar note was yielded only a fleeting resemblance to honeyed bourbon and thus destabilized as the alcohol burned off. This is good because while I’m a fan of honey and bourbon, I’m not particularly a fan of honeyed bourbon. You already know my layperson’s version of a review are often meandering, describing the fragrance as I experience it, but ultimately having a point. Unfortunately, this one may not, because after having used this splash twice, I simply can’t succinctly define the notes. Instead, Promises, following the initial fleeting boozy stage, begins warm and festive. Certainly non-alcoholic Winter beverages come to mind---suggestive of, but not definitively nog, wassail, and spiced tea. I do not detect cinnamon, although given the accomplices, it was expected, and my mind kept trying to insert it in much the same fashion I insert imaginary clove into bay rum fragrances that are noted to be devoid of said oil. This warm festive beverage stage is the longer plateau before dropping off the sweeter honey notes in favor of the bitter citrus and finally resin. It never descends into a dark fragrance, but rather a colder one. With regard to the splash, it’s in the company of B&M’s “First Snow” and even “Fireside” (if it had a splash) without sharing much more than their evocation of memories and feelings.

I like to use complex products without having the ad copy fresh in my mind. If I had recalled the term “rubbery” from B&M’s blurb, it would have ruined what happened next. As I lathered the Promises soap, I anticipated at least a brief opening of something similar to Fireside’s cognac, but instead, I was met with a very pleasant surprise. G.I. Joe and Star Wars action figures (NOT dolls) of my youth, and to an extent the glossy comic book covers and trade paperback collections all flooded my memory with this distinct opening note. Thankfully, it sustains for a fair portion of the shave before acquiescing to the warmer, spicy notes with a slightly sweet and bitter finish.

Promises simply must be paired to be fully realized. I did it backwards, but ultimately I understand it. The soap represents the holidays from my childhood perspective without being novel, while the splash is more adult without being dull. The transition from one to the other, while holding onto common elements is beautifully done.

In reviewing the description on Barrister and Mann’s site, apparently the saffron is the culprit for what is described as a “strange, rubbery, industrial character” intended to evoke the feeling of “being out on the trail with idling sleds…” Personally, I’ve never ridden a sled. In fact, where I grew up, in the off chance we had enough accumulation, the vehicle of choice was either a galvanized steel trash can lid or a rusty till blade disc---neither of which hold a candle to the joy of opening those action figures and comics.

proxy.php

SOTD Thursday, December 07 2017
Prep: Shower/Warm face towel
Soap: RazoRock American Barber Shave Soap
Lather Bowl: Pigeon Forge Pottery
Razor: Maggard V3/MR7
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Semogue 1250 Brush
Talc: Clubman
Aftershave: RazoRock American Barber Aftershave
proxy.php

12/7/17

-Merkur 25c (my old faithful) loaded with a Gillette silver blue.
-Razorock Plissoft
-Soap Commander Respect soap
-Thayers unscented
-Soap Commander Integrity asb

Three passes to a BBS with three days growth. I definitely overshaved considering I’ll have to shave every day for the next eight days for work... But at least I can take a few cool pictures of my setup to post here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom