What's new

Safety Razor Of the Week, 1/11–1/17 The MERKUR Classic

The MERKUR Classic Safety Razor

proxy.php

This week I would like to take a look at, review and discuss the Merkur Classic.

The MERKUR Classic also known as the 33C.
The Classic is part of a very long, rich history from MERKUR of Solingen, Germany.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

This 3- piece razor is a great looking classic razor, with a knurled handle. It is constructed from solid brass and has a very clean, shiny polished Chrome finish. The razor’s overall is 3”.
The head is the classic 2-piece design with dual alignment pins that makes for a relatively simple blade exchange. It has a solid bar and sports beveled notches in the headpiece that seem to guide the lubricant/lather where it is needed most. The 33C is very well balanced for its size.
I placed the Classic next to my 38C as a comparison to size.

proxy.php

I was fortunate enough to test drive this razor do to the kindness of a member on this board who sent me his to use for this thread.

When new, like the other MERKUR’s, these razors are shipped in a flimsy cardboard box, rather than a nice case to store it in. That would be a marked improvement for sure.

As for the shave, it was comfortable and clean. It did a rather nice job and I can see way so many folks like this razor however, again, it just was not as aggressive as I like them. In my opinion, this razor is very comparable to the Gillette Tech razor.

If you have a chance to give one of these razors a try, I’d say why not, you need to experience this one for yourself. To me it was like driving a little sports car for a few days.

Here is a shot of my SOTD today 1/11/09.

proxy.php

Surprisingly enough, I did not find a review on this particular razor in our own WIKI.

I’d like to take a moment to thank Kevin (DeaconKC) for his fine offer and letting me borrow his own Classic so that I could do this post for you. Surly a fine upstanding, example to the gentlemen of this board.

Thank you very much my friend!!!

As always, any and all information about this razor is more than welcomed.

Back to Safety Razor of the Week.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I figured I'd better chime in because who knows when Ray will review another Merkur. :wink:

Although the 33c is a fine shaver it is probably my least favorite of the Merkurs (excluding the Vision which I have never used). Although I like the look and the size of it, I find its weight to be somewhat lacking. That is where the HD comes in for sure but the style of the HD is somewhat "chunky", if you will.

The extra length of the 23c (which is the same style as 33c but longer) lends itself to the extra weight which makes the 23c my favorite everyday razor.

As usual, excellent review Ray.

This is my first and currently only DE razor. I guess there's not much for me to say because I'm inexperienced. All I can say it that it looks quite nice. :tongue_sm

Thank you for a fine review Ray.

The Merkur Classic is my daily shaver. Sure, occassionally, I pull out the Merkur HD, or the Gillette Adjustable, but the Merkur Classic is what I use day in and day out. It is less agressive than the HD which makes the classic gentle on easily irritated skin. Light as a feather, it floats across the face, its mild manners seldom nick skin or create hot spots. A good dependable razor for the less agression minded. :biggrin:

This was my first DE and is an excellent razor. I personally prefer the heft of the HD, but for someone who does not this would be a great choice!

Agree with Bob - that bit of extra length makes a whole lot of positive difference!

I figured I'd better chime in because who knows when Ray will review another Merkur. :wink:

Although the 33c is a fine shaver it is probably my least favorite of the Merkurs (excluding the Vision which I have never used). Although I like the look and the size of it, I find its weight to be somewhat lacking. That is where the HD comes in for sure but the style of the HD is somewhat "chunky", if you will.

The extra length of the 23c (which is the same style as 33c but longer) lends itself to the extra weight which makes the 23c my favorite everyday razor.

As usual, excellent review Ray.

The Merkur Classic was my first razor when I rediscovered wet shaving.

I used it for one week. Then my first Gillette arrived - a blue Lady Gillette - and the Merkur never touched my face again. If I'd had to stick with a Merkur for a DE, I probably would have gone back to the plastic cartridge system of shaving. It just was not a razor I clicked with. It got PIFed (along with a Merkur Long Handle Classic).

A lot of guys like the Merkurs and that is great. It's why we have choice.

GB, the 33 is a very well made, very good shaver. Nice and mild, if you've got tender skin, it is a great little razor. It is a shorter handle, so if you have small/average hands it would be great, if you have big paws, it feels a little on the small side.

Once again a well done SROTW. Ray!

Kevin, hats off for being such a gentleman!

I haven't used the classic, but have finally found an appreciation for the HD and appreciate the ease of blade replacement compared to a 3 piece.

Thanks for the review. My dad bought me this razor and I've been using it for three days now. The same number of days, I've been shaving with a DE. I like it but I have nothing to compare it to, yet.

Thanks for the review. My dad bought me this razor and I've been using it for three days now. The same number of days, I've been shaving with a DE. I like it but I have nothing to compare it to, yet.

hrnfrg, welcome to the place. You've got a great starting point there!

The Classic was my first razor when I joined this cult back in April. The only rough shave I had with it was my first - between practice and getting rid of the Merkur blades that came with it... it's been great - simple, smooth, and relatively painless. My '72 Superspeed didn't knock it off its pedestal but my '58 Red Tip has relegated it to the cabinet for a short hiatus - I'm not sure if the Classic is considered an aggressive razor but my Red Tip shaves just as close and seems to be much less harsh, especially on the cheeks.

The Classic is a great starting razor which enabled me to get a feel for DE shaving. Looking forward to going back to it, especially with a few days' worth of stubble.

Having used a 33C and a 33G I have to say that the aggressivness of this razor varies quite a bit from razor to razor. Overall I prefer their open comb classics (15/25C) over their closed combs.

Nice review, Ray. I suspect it is difficult to spend several days using a razor like this and then sit down and try to write an objective review of it.

I know many men here find the Merkurs to be their favorite razors and wouldn't use anything else, so it is good that you are fair minded enough to spotlight this one as a SROTW.

Actually, I do have one Merkur that I find to be a very good shaver. It is a slant bar. It is actually a Pomco Diagonal which, of course, is just a rebranded Merkur. That slant is a very good razor, but I have two other Merkurs that, frankly, I used each of them for a week and then summarily retired them to fill a spot in my collection. I found them to be lackluster razors for my face and my beard.

Regards,
Tom

As for the shave, it was comfortable and clean. It did a rather nice job and I can see way so many folks like this razor however, again, it just was not as aggressive as I like them. In my opinion, this razor is very comparable to the Gillette Tech razor.

Very nice entry. Thank you.

As to the Tech comparison: My 1957 Tech is pretty much my go-to. I'm wondering how the blade angle and handling of the Classic or the long-handle Classic compares to the Tech.

Thanks again.

The 'Classic' is my favourite Merkur DE. I bought and sold a lot of Merkur models over the past 10 months and as far as Merkur razors are concerned, the 'classic' is the one I like best.

Top Bottom