What's new

Instant Pot Users.... Get in here

Been giving a lot of consideration into buying an Instant Pot. I do a ton of cooking and typically use a dutch oven or crock pot with good results. I've never used a pressure cooker however.

So my questions to you are...

1- Is an Instant Pot worth the $85 USD?
2- What are your favorite recipies.

This time of year, you may find sales, if your not in a rush.
That said i use mine all the time, soups and stews, ribs, corned beef brisket, done in 90 mins, rather than 6-7 hrs. Flan, rice, and what ever you cook google the recipe as pressure cooked xxxxx. And you will find variances.
Times you need to be aware, heat up and cool down add 15-30 mins to recipes depending on volume, insta pot has a ss insert, to saute, and i remove it and put it in frig after it cools, i plan on doing short ribs, and meatballs and sauce soon. There is a site for recipes. I love it, set it and forget it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is a good tool but pay attention to volume. I am having a hard time convincing my wife that the liquid does not need to be filled to the MAX line ALL the TIME.

The only negative for me is the lid cleanup. Some of those places are hard to get into. The itty bitty silicon gasket gets real slippery too and goes right down the drain if you are not careful. These are very minor annoyances though. It is a good product.

We've done ribs, short ribs, stew, pulled pork, pulled chicken....

It is a good tool but pay attention to volume. I am having a hard time convincing my wife that the liquid does not need to be filled to the MAX line ALL the TIME.

The only negative for me is the lid cleanup. Some of those places are hard to get into. The itty bitty silicon gasket gets real slippery too and goes right down the drain if you are not careful. These are very minor annoyances though. It is a good product.

We've done ribs, short ribs, stew, pulled pork, pulled chicken....

Only need a cup of water or -2 for liquid,, the steam pressure cooks it, too much liquid can cause the stuff to boil up to the valve and could cause a bad situation,

Soups i keep below the max line but rarely ever put tht much in.

"Instant Pot" - wonder how many hippies were bummed out after learning this thread was about a cooking device. :c3:

I am a big fan of ours. We use a futura. We make pinto beans, hummus, brisket, apple crisp, potatoes, and other stuff that I cannot think of for the moment.
I think the apple crisp is my favorite recipe:
5 apples
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup oats
brown sugar
cinnamon
1/2 cup water
4tbps butter
nutmeg
and then eating hot apple crisp 15 minutes later (with heating, sitting cooling, and dishes)

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Other than the speed gain due to the pressure cooker, what's the advantage of the Instant Pot? What I mean is what exactly will it do that cannot be accomplished with traditional cookware, albeit slower?

Other than the speed gain due to the pressure cooker, what's the advantage of the Instant Pot? What I mean is what exactly will it do that cannot be accomplished with traditional cookware, albeit slower?
Besides speed, it has the advantage of turning itself off after a set time, so you don't have to watch it.

It is timed and pressure controlled, shuts off, can cook varying thing in one pot, rice,yogurt, soups stews, meats, flan , beans ,etc etc, and normally would use diff pots and styles to cook all those items, and in florida here, no heat using it, so my ac is not going on because a slow cooker is sending out heat.
As mentioned, i can cook a corned beef in 90 mins plus the startup and shut down time that would normally take 7 hrs or more to get it fall apart tender.
If you like the slow cooker, google those recipes using pressure cooker.
It may not be for everyone, but it is very helpful.

Another advantage is that it is also one pot. Something that might take me more than one pan or pot can be all done in the one Instant Pot.

Only need a cup of water or -2 for liquid,, the steam pressure cooks it, too much liquid can cause the stuff to boil up to the valve and could cause a bad situation,

Soups i keep below the max line but rarely ever put tht much in.

I can't seem to get this through SWMBO's noggin.

I like it since you don't need to "baby sit" it like a stovetop. The pressure gasket tends to absorb odors, and I've read some people have a stew/chili gasket and a yogurt one. Small chunks take less time than big ones. Brown in the pot and try to keep meat out of the liquid unless recipe calls for that. Skinless chicken only.

My experiences.

Top Bottom