What's new

Suggest a frag for me. 45. Divorced. And dating.

I have dipped my ....toe...into dating younger. Fun. But a bad idea. That being said she loved WSP tobacco.

Most recent date wears c k reveal. She could wear anything and smell good at this point. Subdued sounds smart. And we discussed a frag sniffing day so that should be cool.

Armaf Club de Nuit Intense (Creed Aventus clone) or Armaf Tres de Nuit (Creed Green Irish Tweed clone). Each run anywhere from $25-$35 for 3.5 oz bottle depending on where you buy them. My wife LOVES the CDNI.

My wife came in ranting not five minutes after i posted, "There was someone on the bus that uses Bounce, do they not realize they stink!"

For me it feels like i'm suffocating when exposed to it. I have to go stick my head in my hockey bag to return to normal respiration.

dave

I really hate that smell too. My neighbors are about 100 yards away and when the wind's right I can tell when they are doing a load, the smell carries farther than backyard BBQ (love that smell though).

Keep the scents mild enough so she won't notice until she's up close.
Speaking from personal experience, he wouldn't have to worry with modern colognes. I've picked up a few over the past year and they are so weak that even I can barely smell them. I could empty the entire bottle on myself and still barely smell it.

I'm 41 and in the same boat as you. Divorced and dating.

Dolce & Gabana The One and Gucci Pour Homme have worked well for me.

Somewhat subdued, sure. Good advice in general.

But no fragrance at all? I think not. There are reasons women's romance literature often refers to the expensive scent some guy is wearing. In the modern world, you are going to smell like various things--shampoo; soap; as others have said, dyer sheets; laundry detergent; toothpaste, shaving cream, hair dressing, deodorant, etc. You might as well have something particularly nice you have made an affirmative choice about in the mix. And your choices in fragrances will say something about you, just like your choices in clothes, car, houses/apartments, the books and magazines you read, the job you have, the things you do socially and otherwise for fun. So I think it is worth putting some thought into. :) As with everything else with women, it is good to demonstrate confidence and good taste.

Sure you may run into someone who has an abhorence to scents of any kind. If, at heart, you share that abhorence, great. You have found something in common. If you are like me, you have found something you do not have in common. Perhaps a deal killer for me.

As far as associations someone may have with someone else who wore a similar scent. That is perhaps a dice roll. Along with the way you comb your hair, or the accent you speak with, or you body type, or a thousand other things! Although, I think one can help with this and demonstrate competence by not going with some scent that is super popular among the club set or even that was super popular in some past decade. So no Le Man, no Aqua de Gio, no English Leather, no Aramis, no Grey Flannel.

I am tempted to suggest something like Guerlain Vetiver, Habit Rouge, Terre d' Hermes, Guerlain Heritage, maybe one of the Penhaligons. Eau Sauvage.

Or perhaps get some samples from Imaginary Authors and see what you like. Any of Josh's scents are going to seem modern without seeming too wild, or too young, and I highly doubt they are going to trigger negative associations with some jerk.

Molecule 01 is supposed to be ultra subtle, and is probably a fairly in the know choice.

You might watch some of Jeremy Fragrances videos on You Tube and see what he recommends to attract women in more conservative scents.

Have fun!

I suppose part of the question is "what makes one feel confident and why?" If one feels confident because one personally likes the way the scent smells, generally appeals to other people including women, has researched it sufficiently to feel secure that it is something age, situation, and otherwise appropriate to oneself, is not too commonplace/cheap/exotic/unusual/etc. for oneself sure, wear it because it makes you feel confident. You should feel confident. I think that is what the OP is looking for in posting here. I think the OP is exactly right.

Dating is a lot about subjective factors, such as--or maybe better put, including--chemistry. But is also usually about, shall we say, putting one's best foot forward. Being "pleasing" and a good listener without being fawning or trying too hard or losing all of one's personality.

In dating, as in many other things in life, one could take the Popeye approach--"I am what I am . . . ." and others can take that or leave it. But there can be a thin line between confidence and oblivious. If one finds oneself liking a scent because it smells like something one has never smelled on another human being, costs next to nothing, and projects insanely, even if it makes one feel confident, one might want to save that one for the tenth date. :)

Just my two cents, of course.

I am wearing Lolita Lempicka au Masculine today and my wife commented that she liked it, which reminded me that this scent is one most women supposedly like on a man. Luca Turin famous perfume critic gave it 5 stars, which is a solid endorsement. Not my favorite scent. Anise/licorice and vanilla, mostly, similar to a black gum drop, but it has other things going on, too, and it has grown on me, and it has excellent qualities of tenacity, evolution on the skin, etc. It strikes me that this one might work for the mid-40s guy as a dating scent. I highly doubt whether anyone else any particular woman has ever known has worn it. It has a good back story with the Turin rating. Annick Menardo is the creator and has done other interesting scents. It came out in 2000 so that timing kind of fits. It is kind of inexpensive, which does not seem to me to me a plus for current purposes. I would not buy it blind. I would not expect the average guy to love it. But that is not really the point.

The other one that has come to my mind is Creed Aventus. Hugely popular. Another scent supposedly beloved by many women, but also popular among a great number of men. Not my favorite. Expensive. Kind of a hip choice in a way, it seems to me. A fairly modern scent but I think still age appropriate. I do not think any one could fairly ask "why would you wear that?"

GIT seems fine, too. If it were cheaper, I might say that it has been over used. But I think it is classy enough that no one is going to be able to say that.

Good luck.

15092183120841065011197.jpg and then there were 3. Found Jeremy s videos. Man that guy is wound but fun to listen to. Armani Profumo....went to Macy's and Carson's today...and Carson's had 15 pecent off on their fragrances. So, first go is tonight.....we will see how it goes. Before that is a good shower to wash away all of the extra sprays I was assaulted with ...a Barrister and Mann shave with Seville soap...cool a s. And a gem mmoc. Thanks for the help, we will see how it goes.

Top Bottom