What's new

ATT SE2...A Contender Emerges from the fire...

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
My only SE experience is the SE2. I really like the Pro Super, but the Pro is an excellent blade at a better price. I like the aggressiveness of the Feather blades. I think I like the Pro Super better. Someday, just for the heck of it, I may have to try some of the other AC style blades. I bet I won't like them better.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Good review! This has been on my list for a while already as I prefer OC Razors. Lately I’m on a straight kick but this is firmly on my list.

@rabidus
In the Asylum passaround, I used the Asylum just ahead of you. I found it too aggressive for daily use. Just too much work. I use the MMOC on occasion and I don't find it to be a smooth razor. Not that it is too aggressive, but too much face feel for my taste. My daily razor is the SE1 which is smooth, efficient and fun to use, if only moderately aggressive. Here is my SE2 question for you: Is the SE2 more like the MMOC or SE1? Does the open comb design make it a significantly less smooth razor than the SE1?

Thanks

I use the MMOC on occasion and I don't find it to be a smooth razor. Not that it is too aggressive, but too much face feel for my taste.

Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf SE Razor_intructions2_1_1.jpg
Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf SE Razor_intructions2_1.jpg

These are the instructions for the MMOC. The MMOC is extremely smooth and efficient if used as directed.

Many people use it too steep trying to find their own angle because they need to "feel" the blade, which will make it rough. I focus on feeling stubble being cut, feedback.

The angle of the blade when the MMOC is fairly flat on my face is the angle I get the blade in the SE2, which is pretty shallow like a str8 razor. They are both smooth.

I don't have the SE1 but I believe they use the same cap, so they should feel similar if used at the same angle.

Last edited:
I agree, Rabidus, about the shave angle with the GEM razors. In fact one of the nice things about the GEM razors is that they are somewhat idiot proof. Simply apply the top cap to the skin and the reward is the correct shave angle.

Day 5 with the SE2. It normally takes 12 hours before I start to feel stubble after a BBS shave, I may have added several hours to that. This razor is making it difficult to shave everyday, not worth it as there's not much to shave the next day.

Day 5 with the SE2. It normally takes 12 hours before I start to feel stubble after a BBS shave, I may have added several hours to that. This razor is making it difficult to shave everyday, not worth it as there's not much to shave the next day.

Glad you’re enjoying the SE2. I only use the SE2 and RX when I’m in an AC blade frame of mind. I just can’t decide which I like better. Both are tremendous razors.

I thought I would go with the SE1 when it came out, but my anecdotal evidence was that it was “mild,” and I knew Stan ultimately had an OC model in mind. So I waited. And, boy howdy, am I glad I did.

I took a break from the SE2 for several shaves and used the El Jefe. I went back to the SE2 today and difference is very clear. They both will get me long last BBS results, but the SE2 will get me there with a little less effort and the results last longer. The SE2 does take a little more focus but not much more, I can get jiggy with it.

The SE2 definitely raised the bar....

captp

My only SE experience is the SE2. I really like the Pro Super, but the Pro is an excellent blade at a better price. I like the aggressiveness of the Feather blades. I think I like the Pro Super better. Someday, just for the heck of it, I may have to try some of the other AC style blades. I bet I won't like them better.
Just got the SE1 with a mostly full dispenser of Kai Captain Mild blades. Two shaves in and I'm impressed, quite impressed. I'm getting the same BBS shave I get with the SE2 and Feather Pro Super. I have to swap blades between the two and see how I like each razor with different blades. Will report back in a few days.

Just got the SE1 with a mostly full dispenser of Kai Captain Mild blades. Two shaves in and I'm impressed, quite impressed. I'm getting the same BBS shave I get with the SE2 and Feather Pro Super. I have to swap blades between the two and see how I like each razor with different blades. Will report back in a few days.

Both will get me to my desired BBS results, the SE2 will get me there with fewer strokes and it will last longer. The SE1 is an excellent daily shaver. I would use either daily, the SE2 reigns supreme.

Last edited:

captp

Both will get me to my desired BBS results, the SE2 will get me there with fewer strokes and it will last longer. The SE1 is an excellent daily shaver. I would use either daily, the SE2 reigns supreme.
I didn't time the Shave or count strokes, but the 2 razors seem pretty much equal to me. I need to see how the SE2 does with the Kai blade and the SE1 with the Feather Pro or Pro Super. Didn't shave this morning (oh, shame on me:a30:), so I'll swap blades tomorrow and try SE1/Feather for a few days then the SE2/Kai for another few days. The Feather and Kai both have the same number of shaves.

I didn't time the Shave or count strokes, but the 2 razors seem pretty much equal to me.

I have the SE2 V2. I read that it was modified and made more efficient not long after it's release. Which version of the SE2 do you have?

I didn't time it or count strokes either, but the SE2 noticeable takes less effort to reduce my beard than the SE1, both will reach BBS with no fuss though.

captp

I have the SE2 V2. I read that it was modified and made more efficient not long after it's release. Which version of the SE2 do you have?

I didn't time it or count strokes either, but the SE2 noticeable takes less effort to reduce my beard than the SE1, both will reach BBS with no fuss though.
As far as I know my SE2 is the latest, I got it in March or April new from ATT. The SE1 I just picked up on the BST, so I don't know how old it is (is there more than 1 version of the SE1?)
I'm thinking that my findings will be close to yours, but I bet that while it may be a noticeable, it will also, to me, be essentially negligible; i.e. I could confidently recommend either one with enthusiasm. But that's really just me, what do I know?

As far as I know my SE2 is the latest, I got it in March or April new from ATT. The SE1 I just picked up on the BST, so I don't know how old it is (is there more than 1 version of the SE1?)
I'm thinking that my findings will be close to yours, but I bet that while it may be a noticeable, it will also, to me, be essentially negligible; i.e. I could confidently recommend either one with enthusiasm. But that's really just me, what do I know?

I don't think there's more than one version of the SE1. MY SE1 has the year 2016 stamped on it. My SE2 doesn't have a year stamped on it at all.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
But the bullet and ordered. Bad influence, Rabidus! But I LOVE OC razors and this was on my list as soon as I tried my first AC blade.

Top Bottom