What's new

Badger Blends: Your Homemade Aftershave Mixes

Ah, I see. Sorry, I skimmed your post and went right to the recipe. I see now.

It's my basic Oriental Spice blend with the addition of old spice. I decided to mix some up today, but went the other way and used all Vintage.

I have to say, it's pretty nice. I don't like it as much as the Skin Bracer/Brut mix alone, but I do like it. I'll continue using it the rest of the week to see if it grows on me more.

I'm inclined to call the all vintage version "Asian Voyage".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just made a mixture of 50% witchhazel 50% Osage Rub. Great for the skin and for the summer with its high witchhazel and alcohol content for post shave and it's high menthol eucalyptus content. It really tones down the osage kick (which I usually thoroughly enjoy but sometimes it's a bit much)

"Osage Hazel" maybe?
Or maybe "Witch Rub"
I think I also like "Frozen Witch's Brew"

Last edited:
Rose Vegetal

50% Pinaud Liliac Vegetal
50% Lanman & Murray Colonia de Rosas

This creates a floral stink bomb that lasts for hours....but good!

OB Lime Water

25% Murray and Lanman Orange Blossom cologne
50% Pinaud Lime Sec
25% Murray and Lanman Florida Water

Long lasting citrus intensity.

I did try mixing Brut with a bit of Vetiver EO. Tip one, it takes very little of the EO to make an impact. Once balanced, it's a better basenote for Brut than before.

(That was post 119 in this thread)
You posted something similar to this in the Brut/Faux Pas thread, and it sounded great to me. I don't have vetiver e.o. though. What I do have is Fine Fresh Vetiver.
I just did a mix in-hand of approximately 50-50 of Brut and Fine Vetiver, and it's fantastic. I've worn it twice now.
I haven't played around with ratios or anything, yet. Also, I've got Fine Green Vetiver, which I think is too powdery on its own, but may work out in this mix.

The wife tells me that it is a fresh/clean soapy smell on me.

Tried to find a musk that I liked. Neither Aqua Velva Musk and Jovan Musk for Men were totally satisfactory on their own - but mixing them together produced a strong, really warm musk that projects well but doesn't overpower. I'm calling it Jovelva Musk.

One bottle (3.5 fl. oz.) of AV musk + One bottle (1 fl.oz.) Jovan musk
Very close to a 80/20 mix of AV to Jovan.

At Wally World that comes out to about $10 for 4.5 ounces of juice. Not bad.

Tried to find a musk that I liked. Neither Aqua Velva Musk and Jovan Musk for Men were totally satisfactory on their own - but mixing them together produced a strong, really warm musk that projects well but doesn't overpower.

The musk mix I've posted about before is Equal parts AV Musk, Jovan Musk, and Pinaud Musk. But I recently obtained a bottle of Jeris musk, which smells most similar to AV musk of the three. I added a fourth part of that into the mix (so equal parts of all 4), and it seemed to balance it out even more. I really like that musk blend. Never named it, I just call it Musk. It's the only musk I use anymore, since I like it better than any of the others on their own.

I just tried two that did not work out well:
Faux Irishman was-
1/4 witch hazel
1/4 Sir Irisch Moose
1/2 Brut
Definitely gross. It smelled like an old man's shoe

Watery Fade was-
1/4 Magard Razor London Barbershop witchhazel
1/4 Magard Razor London Barbershop AS
1/2 Aqua Velva Ice Sport
This one has a very strong alcohol scent, initially, but softens into a confusing mess.

At least my hands are soft!

I made up a lime skin balm awhile back using Corn Huskers, some leftover GFT Lime skin food, and a sample vial of T&H WI Lime cologne. Works very well and smells great.

Tried a B blend yesterday, still tweaking it.

I used vintage Avon Tribute in the morning. Not really a fan of it, just using it in rotation till I use up my excess and then just keep one bottle around for the occasional splash. Anyway, about two hours later I sprained my knee and put some Superior 70 Bay Rum on it, as I've heard it's used as a liniment of sorts and helps with sore muscles. (And it does help some). When I smelled my hand the aroma was heavenly! So, I'm trying to work out a recipe for this concoction.

Started with 1 part vanilla flavoring (need to get some actual extract), 2 parts Tribute, and 3 parts Superior 70. The burnt spice of the Tribute is much reduced, there's a slight hint of vanilla, and the Sup 70 's hang time is extended. Overall quite nice scent. But not enough bay. So I gotta do some adjusting.
Next batch will do a one part Tribute to 3 parts Superior 70 and see how that does. The name is a toss-up between Tribay Rum and Bute Rum.

Last edited:

I used vintage Avon Tribute in the morning. Not really a fan of it, just using it in rotation till I use up my excess and then just keep one bottle around for the occasional splash. Anyway, about two hours later I sprained my knee and put some Superior 70 Bay Rum on it, as I've heard it's used as a liniment of sorts and helps with sore muscles. (And it does help some). When I smelled my hand the aroma was heavenly! So, I'm trying to work out a recipe for this concoction.

Started with 1 part vanilla flavoring (need to get some actual extract), 2 parts Tribute, and 3 parts Superior 70. The burnt spice of the Tribute is much reduced, there's a slight hint of vanilla, and the Sup 70 's hang time is extended. Overall quite nice scent. But not enough bay. So I gotta do some adjusting.
Next batch will do a one part Tribute to 3 parts Superior 70 and see how that does. The name is a toss-up between Tribay Rum and Bute Rum.

I love your ingenuity. "Bute Rum" is a catchy name. :wink2:

My contention is that Tribute is a tribute to the great Woodhue scent by Faberge, so how about your blend name being Rum Hue?

The musk mix I've posted about before is Equal parts AV Musk, Jovan Musk, and Pinaud Musk.

I just recently picked up a bottle of Jovan, and last night I tried this mix. Not bad at all. I think it's going to get some use over the colder months. The wife even said she liked it on me, so that's a big fat thumb's up for me.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom