What's new

New House, New Espresso Bar

It's been a long time since posting here but after the summer we've had (selling/buying a house, 2 surgeries, and 1 ER trip) it's probably not surprising. Anyways, we have finally gotten most everything moved in and I've been able to do some work. Started with a few projects for the Mrs. and just finished up my espresso bar. This was one of those things I was looking for in a new house and the space works out very well for it. I even managed to squeeze in a tea corner for my wife :) Looking forward to using it!

Attachments

• IMG_20170924_095118.jpg
    IMG_20170924_095118.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 79
I really like that. And I like the Oscar. Very nice. My wife is also a tea totaler so I would do the same thing for her as well. Very sweet. Now you've revived my AD for an espresso machine. Thanks a lot. And congrats on the new house and the espresso set up. Awesome.

Not sure if the pic I originally posted was the finished product since the picture is not loading for me anymore. I just modded my Oscar the other night with OPV, anti vacuum valve, and giglers. The machine doesn't look any different but hopefully when I get some fresh roasted beans it will work better!
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Not sure if the pic I originally posted was the finished product since the picture is not loading for me anymore. I just modded my Oscar the other night with OPV, anti vacuum valve, and giglers. The machine doesn't look any different but hopefully when I get some fresh roasted beans it will work better!
proxy.php

That is a really really nice set up Java Jeff. What's your drink of choice? Cappuccino? Espresso straight up? Latte? Americano?

That is a really really nice set up Java Jeff. What's your drink of choice? Cappuccino? Espresso straight up? Latte? Americano?
Recently I've been using my pour over cone with a fresh batch of Ethiopian beans from a local roaster (Crimson Cup). My drink of choice is a traditional cappuccino.

I'm hoping for some better espresso options when I start home roasting. Currently researching my roaster purchase and what type of beans I'd like to start with. My first pick at the moment is the Behmor. I think I'll be going through about 3 lbs a week at most between myself and in laws. Trying to figure out if that is the best option for price and quantity.

Recently I've been using my pour over cone with a fresh batch of Ethiopian beans from a local roaster (Crimson Cup). My drink of choice is a traditional cappuccino.

I'm hoping for some better espresso options when I start home roasting. Currently researching my roaster purchase and what type of beans I'd like to start with. My first pick at the moment is the Behmor. I think I'll be going through about 3 lbs a week at most between myself and in laws. Trying to figure out if that is the best option for price and quantity.

Nice. No sense in rushing into it if you know you won't be happy with just any beans. I've been using a french press for a while now and prefer cafe au lait. If I ever do get around to getting an espresso machine, and I sure hope I do, I'll be doing lattes and/or straight espresso shots. My beans of choice have been La Colombe Corsica but I am going to check out their Phocea and Savoia. I like a darker roast. A local bakery has these beans and I don't have the motivation to start roasting my own. Drink on brother. And shave on. :001_rolle

Behmor will not reliably roast dark enough for espresso.

They are better for city to city + roasts which might be a bit lite for an espresso machine extraction.

If you want to roast dark, you should be looking at hottop at a minimum. Bullet, Quest, or one of the smaller batch commercial roasters like the 500g from Mill City

https://millcityroasters.com/shop/coffee-roasters/500g-1lb-gas-coffee-roaster/

I posted that sweet maria's will be adding two 1 lb roasters to their line up. Both should be less than the mill city offering and one would have to be considered a prosumer roaster. not quite a commercial machine but no way a home appliance like the others are.

You might want to wait until there are a number of them out in the wild in use before jumping, just to make sure they have all the bugs worked out.

proxy.php

Behmor will not reliably roast dark enough for espresso.

They are better for city to city + roasts which might be a bit lite for an espresso machine extraction.

If you want to roast dark, you should be looking at hottop at a minimum. Bullet, Quest, or one of the smaller batch commercial roasters like the 500g from Mill City

https://millcityroasters.com/shop/coffee-roasters/500g-1lb-gas-coffee-roaster/

I posted that sweet maria's will be adding two 1 lb roasters to their line up. Both should be less than the mill city offering and one would have to be considered a prosumer roaster. not quite a commercial machine but no way a home appliance like the others are.

You might want to wait until there are a number of them out in the wild in use before jumping, just to make sure they have all the bugs worked out.

proxy.php
I've been using Lavazza super crema and their other varieties for espresso since I started. When I get a fresh bag it works really well and tastes great with milk drinks. The problem with ordering from Amazon is sometimes I get a bag that is 3+ months old already.

My impression of those beans is that they are a medium roast. I'm not sure what they classify as in roasting terms (city, full city, etc) but I was thinking the Behmor would be good for that and lighter. Maybe I'm not aware yet since I haven't actually roasted beans before.

Has there been any pricing on the new roasters from Sweet Maria's? I was hoping for a budget friendly option like the Behmor

I've been using Lavazza super crema and their other varieties for espresso since I started. When I get a fresh bag it works really well and tastes great with milk drinks. The problem with ordering from Amazon is sometimes I get a bag that is 3+ months old already.

My impression of those beans is that they are a medium roast. I'm not sure what they classify as in roasting terms (city, full city, etc) but I was thinking the Behmor would be good for that and lighter. Maybe I'm not aware yet since I haven't actually roasted beans before.

Has there been any pricing on the new roasters from Sweet Maria's? I was hoping for a budget friendly option like the Behmor

The prosumer Mini-500 will be at least $2k over a Behmor the other $1K more (priced around the level of the Hottop which is $1600 for the B-2K+ model).

At under $400 Behmor is hard to beat for cost VS value. It will roast coffee and do it consistently.

I find the main failing of my Behmor is bean cooling. It takes place inside the hot roaster and goes on way too long.

I have a pair of elbow length forge gauntlets and I reach into the screaming hot roaster to remove the basket and take it to an upturned Patton fan for cooling. I would NOT recommend this to anyone as handling 400 degree metal and beans is not something you want to do.

proxy.php

Great set up , and neat as a pin...You should have lots less stress now, and that will help you heal up faster..Wish you all the best !

If you get a Behmor, there are users of that coffee roaster here on B&B who can help get you started.

If you get a Behmor, there are users of that coffee roaster here pn B&B who can help get you started.
I found the home roasters forum too, looks like there are plenty of experienced roasters to learn from. I think I'm going ahead with the before as nothing else is in that price range for what I'm looking to do. Is Sweet Maria's the go to for beans or is there another company in missing?

If you get your Behmor from Sweet Maria's you get 8# of beans too.

I buy green from a number of sources, depending on what I am looking for.

I even source green from a local artisan roaster too.

What are you wanting to start with?

Top Bottom