What's new

barber scent

Hi

Can anyone give the name of the aftershave the barbers used 25 or more years ago .Is it Pinaud Clubman or Polar Ice or something else I used to love that light barber scent

:confused:

I'm sure different barbers used different scents, but every barber i've ever been to has used Pinaud Clubman. Actually, my current barber still does. It's a great scent.

There's a whole range of products that are "barbershop", including:

The Pinaud range, Clubman, Bay Rum, etc.

Murray and Lannman - Florida Water, etc.

If your Canadian, then Booster is something you will still see everywhere, Polar Ice (Aqua-velva-like), Aquarius (Clubman-like) and a whole range of other scents.

All of these are readily available.

In addition to Pinaud Clubman, Stephans AS could've been used. Also possible that Jeri's Hair Tonic could have been snuck in.

Since it had been resurrected, I will say Master's Bay Rum reminds me of barber shops I frequented as a kid in the 70's.

To be honest, I still haven't had a "THAT'S IT!!" moment with any of the barber shop products I've tried. The barber I went to growing up in my hometown in the 80's always used something around my ears that had such a clean, fresh smell.. Not quite Clubman (though I do get the nostalgia from it, maybe from a different barber), not quite Jeris Hair tonic. Not quite Clubman talc or hair gel either. I want to find it but I can't break the bank looking for it either. I don't believe it was a bay rum or any other Pinaud product I've tried.

Where was your hometown? Do you recall a particular bottle shape or, say, color of label?

I suppose, at least going back farther in time than we are talking about, that it was not unusual for barbers to mix various things, in particular bay rum and witch hazel. Could it have been pure witch hazel? That one has a rather unique smell.

I remember the smell of the local Barbershop in New York that my Dad went to and took me to, it was your basic 3 seat shop, rotating barber pole at the front of the store. I can almost pin the smell down to a T, it smelled like Clubman aftershave, Barbasol Shaving cream, cigarette smoke, and black coffee.That is the scent that takes me back in time. That barbershop was the first place that I ever smelled clubman, the first place that I saw a playboy magazine. I remember how Joe would give all the kids a new comb when your Dad would bring you in for a haircut, then when it was dads turn he would let you grab a handful of penny candy out a giant jar he kept on the back wall.The building is still there but Joe the Barber has long since passed away and after looking it up on google maps there is still a barber sign out front, I have not been there in more than 30 years but I think the next time I travel back to New York I might have to stop and see if it is anything like it used to be.
proxy.php

I do not really remember what Barbicide smells like. Rubbing alcohol plus disinfectent, I guess. Would not like it would be applied directly to skin though.

Where was your hometown? Do you recall a particular bottle shape or, say, color of label?

I suppose, at least going back farther in time than we are talking about, that it was not unusual for barbers to mix various things, in particular bay rum and witch hazel. Could it have been pure witch hazel? That one has a rather unique smell.

Small town in Ohio.. I don't remember any bottles or anything. I just always liked how I smelled coming out of the barber shop. Not witch hazel or any of the other Pinauds I've tried. That's probably my next move, to try the other Pinauds that I don't have yet (Citrus Musk, Musk, Lime Sec). It could have also been the shaving cream from the machine. I can't wait to try Rive Gauche someday.

Top Bottom