What's new

My Grande Journey

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This will be a long post with a lot of pictures. It will also be an ongoing post as I learn, adjust and adapt to and become proficient with a new razor. Along this journey I'll be testing many different blade types to find out which ones agree with it, and myself the most, along with different soaps and shave creams. Hopefully, at the end I'll settle on a single blade for this razor.

Not long ago I picked up a Gillette Regent Tech thinking it was an Aristocrat and really not knowing much about those Gillette TTO razors. As I've come to know and learn that razor, I've found it has more blade exposure than any of my other razors, and more than any other DE I've used including a NEW SC, NEW LC, British Gillette Flare Tip Rocket, D2 date code Flare Tip SS, D2 date code Gillette Tech, and a T1 Lady Gillette thats so mild I think of it as a TTO Tech.

The NEW SC is my favorite razor. Very rigid, which I need and yet incredibly smooth and quite mild given its blade gap. It gives me really nice comfortable shaves as long as all other aspects of the shave are up to the task at hand, including myself.

Along comes my Regent with blade exposure and I entered a new world of shaving. The longest a BBS shave has lasted me with my NEW SC and my, then at least favorite blade, Polsilver SI was around 9 1/2 hours. The Regent however, with a Polsilver blade gave me a BBS finish that lasted 23 hours. It was not, and is not however as smooth a shaver as I like the most.

I've looked at Gillette OLD types, learned as much as I could about them, tried to understand the differences between thick cap and thin and decided I'd like to try a Single Ring... sometime. At the same time I've discovered that I enjoy, and get great shaves from a little extra exposure of the blade edge. An aggressive razor was in order.

I did some research, read all I could and picked what I believe to be one of the best razors currently on the market.

The mailman arrived today.

IMG_2045_01.jpg

222-whats-in-the-box.jpg

IMG_2046.JPG

There is something in there...

IMG_2047.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

57167332.jpg

Oh yeah, we happy.

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

I'm honestly surprised with the quality of this razor. I'd be surprised if theres another modern razor of the same quality for twice the price.

This is a quality piece of equipment. The polish and the finish arent perfectly flawless as you may expect of a $200 razor, but it is very good.

The weight is substantial, even with the hollow handle. I dont have a scale to measure them, but it feels slightly heavier than my NEW SC and Regent and it has a nicer balance then either. My NEW SC, by comparison as I never noticed before, is head heavy. This Grande is not. It balances on my finger 1/2-3/4" behind the head. Pretty much where I expect I'll be holding it. The same as my Regent.

IMG_2057.jpg

The handle itself is thick walled with fine threads cut into the neck. You can see right through the barrel of it. The handle may become slippery with wet and/or soapy fingers, but that will something to adjust too.

To the blade alignment issues I've read so much about and worries so many. Yes, you can put it together with the blade out of alignment. This is an issue I've never had to worry about with any of my Gillette razors, NEW SC and LC included as they're both 3 piece razors as well. I've only ever just dropped a blade in and tightened the handle up, but I did check them both before I ever used them.

The next pic is with the blade as far out of alignment as I can get it.

IMG_2059.JPG

Does that worry me? No, not at all. Its easy to set square, especially as the handle has fine threads, allowing you to get the correct amount of tension quite easily while keeping the handle fairly snug. I dont have to chase the blade around and it literally only takes a few seconds to square things up.

Cont...

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Cont...

IMG_2060.JPG

I will admit this did worry a bit before I bought the razor, but now that I have it in hand and can actually try and adjust the blade, its really not a concern to me at all and shouldnt stop anyone from buying one.

I had also read this was a razor on the smaller side so I sort of expected something a touch smaller than my NEW SC. Such is not the case.

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

As I said, this is a substantial razor. This Grande doesnt feel like a "magic wand" like my NEW SC does and I dont expect it will fly around my face with the same ease either, at least until I get used to it.

As it stands right now, am I glad I bought it? Hell yes! Could it be better? Yes. It could have better fit and finish. It could have a smoother polish under the plating. The bottom line is, its a $40 razor not a $200 razor. Would I be just as happy if it cost me $80? Yes, I would.

My next task is to actually shave with it. Seeing as I just shaved this morning, that wont be for two days.

In the meantime, feel free to share ideas and give suggestions as to blades of choice in these razors and also I'd like to hear from those that do use one to tell me if they prefer a shallower or a steeper angle.

Last edited:
Great journal! Congrats. I am currently waiting for a Grande in gold finish. Gonna keep reading your posts.

Enviado desde mi 5010G mediante Tapatalk

FaTip makes a very nice razor, I have a Piccolo in nickel. I have never tried to narrow my blade selection on any razor down to one (there are blades I won't use in certain razors). Most of the blades I use seem to work well in almost if not all of my razors.

I do wish you luck on your endeavor, I do hope you do try Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Nacet, Pol Silver SI, and Kai as these are my favorites.

Have many close comfortable shaves!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Great journal! Congrats. I am currently waiting for a Grande in gold finish. Gonna keep reading your posts.

Honestly, its a nicer razor than I expected. I guess people tend to complain about bad things more than praising the good things.

I do wish you luck on your endeavor, I do hope you do try Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Nacet, Pol Silver SI, and Kai as these are my favorites.

I have them all and more. I have around 40 different types of blades. Most all are full tucks, except the single lonely Kai blade I've saved in my blade box for months now.

As I suppose this is a journal, I guess I've posted it in the wrong forum. If A Mod could move it that would be great!

I've used Derby Extras and Nacets in mine...and I'll be observing OCtober with Bolzanos all month long. My Grande (in nickel) will be among my weapons of choice. If you've had success with other "efficient" razors, pick a blade you know well and go from there. I have both an Old type and a Fendrihan Mk1 so was prepared for the learning curve when I got my Fatip. Go slow, pay attention to what the blade is telling you (and it will) and you will be rewarded with a very comfortable and close shave.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've used Derby Extras and Nacets in mine...and I'll be observing OCtober with Bolzanos all month long. My Grande (in nickel) will be among my weapons of choice. If you've had success with other "efficient" razors, pick a blade you know well and go from there. I have both an Old type and a Fendrihan Mk1 so was prepared for the learning curve when I got my Fatip. Go slow, pay attention to what the blade is telling you (and it will) and you will be rewarded with a very comfortable and close shave.

Derby Extra is a favorite of mine and I have 200.

I didnt get along with the Bolzano when I did use one, but I do have the rest of the tuck. I felt they are a good blade, but they wernt a match for me in my NEW SC.

You'll love it!!! Efficiency reminds me a little of my Gillette New. We'll see what you think. Wish more modern razor companies would/could make all brass razors at a reasonable price.

Derby Extra is a favorite of mine and I have 200.

I didnt get along with the Bolzano when I did use one, but I do have the rest of the tuck. I felt they are a good blade, but they wernt a match for me in my NEW SC.

Similar to my experience; I'm going to essentially try to use them up and be done with them.
But please do give the Derby a try...I suspect you'll really enjoy it.

Honestly, its a nicer razor than I expected. I guess people tend to complain about bad things more than praising the good things.

I know! main concern was the comments about blade alignment, but then it´s unlikely that I can´t spend 1 minute aligning and checking the blade, I currently have the infamous DragonFeng that misaligns like crazy and never had an accident with it, the Grande can´t be worst. The things that convinced me it´s like you mentioned, the price, the looks on gold and it´s pure brass.

Pic of the worst case scenario on the Dragonfeng
IMG_20170922_155425.jpg

Cheers!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Similar to my experience; I'm going to essentially try to use them up and be done with them.
But please do give the Derby a try...I suspect you'll really enjoy it.

A Derby is actually loaded in it for the first shave. I have a feeling most of the blades I felt lacked sharpness for me in my other razors, will end up working out well in the Grande. Including GSB, Gillette Green, Rapira Platinum Lux and so many others.

Derby Extra work really well in my Regent, but the best blade in it so far is Perma-Sharp Super. Todays experience with it and a Blue Diamond Titanium was an exceptional shave.

I know! main concern was the comments about blade alignment, but then it´s unlikely that I can´t spend 1 minute aligning and checking the blade, I currently have the infamous DragonFeng that misaligns like crazy and never had an accident with it, the Grande can´t be worst. The things that convinced me it´s like you mentioned, the price, the looks on gold and it´s pure brass.

Pic of the worst case scenario on the Dragonfeng
View attachment 822974

Cheers!

Wow. Hey, its a slant! LOL

You'll be happy with it when it arrives I'm sure.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Wish more modern razor companies would/could make all brass razors at a reasonable price.

I really dont know why they dont, or I guess maybe I do. If all razors lasted 100 years, the company making them might end up out of business lol.

Think of all the dropped Merkurs and EJ's with broken studs. All the plated Zamak razors that end up rotting. How many of those people will replace it with another the same? I'm guessing many, but it wont be me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Beautiful razor. I'll be interested in your shaving impressions, and razor blade journey.

Apparently it can be used with very sharp blades, so it should be right up the alley of some of your favorites, and mine.

I love that this is a brass razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Beautiful razor. I'll be interested in your shaving impressions, and razor blade journey.

Apparently it can be used with very sharp blades, so it should be right up the alley of some of your favorites, and mine.

I love that this is a brass razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It wont be seeing a Feather for a long while I dont think. I does however have an upcoming date with a Gillette Yellow...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It wont be seeing a Feather for a long while I dont
think. I does however have an upcoming date with a Gillette Yellow...

Well, yeah, I didn't think you'd lost your marbles.

A Yellow sounds reasonable (for you, you're experienced with aggressive razors).

A Feather, maybe reasonable later. Maybe.

I'd be starting with a Green, but the razor terrifies me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Well, yeah, I didn't think you'd lost your marbles.

A Yellow sounds reasonable (for you, you're experienced with aggressive razors).

A Feather, maybe reasonable later. Maybe.

I'd be starting with a Green, but the razor terrifies me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The sharpness doesnt worry me so much as the harshness. I'm really not enjoying Feather blades past the first shave in any razor I've tried them in yet.

In my Tech, I stretched it to 4 shaves and couldnt bear to try for a 5th. The smoothness just isnt there for me and I think the Grande will just amplify that, but I could be wrong.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
That's one beautiful Fatip Esox! My Grande is chrome. I got it before I got up to speed on nickel plating which I really like the looks of. The chrome plating is excellent though. It looks as sharp as your gold plating. I think plating solid brass is a bit different than zamak. I do think the plating is every bit as good as Merkur. If you Google Merkur plating you will find complaints of machine marks and the plating isn't Muhle or EJ quality. I think sometimes people are overly picky, especially on a Fatip where the price point of a all brass razor is fantastic, and how superbly it is designed and shaves. I think the plating is good, and it's a total chunk 'o' brass! I find it to be totally blade friendly. I prefer Gillette Platinum and GSB. I also like Bolzano equally, but that's out of question for you. Enjoy your shaves and look forward to your report!

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That's one beautiful Fatip Esox! My Grande is chrome. I got it before I got up to speed on nickel plating which I really like the looks of. The chrome plating is excellent though. It looks as sharp as your gold plating. I think plating solid brass is a bit different than zamak. I do think the plating is every bit as good as Merkur. If you Google Merkur plating you will find complaints of machine marks and the plating isn't Muhle or EJ quality. I think sometimes people are overly picky, especially on a Fatip where the price point of a all brass razor is fantastic, and how superbly it is designed and shaves. I think the plating is good, and it's a total chunk 'o' brass! I find it to be totally blade friendly. I prefer Gillette Platinum and GSB. I also like Bolzano equally, but that's out of question for you. Enjoy your shaves and look forward to your report!

No blades are out of the question until I try them and decide I dont like them. I do have a feeling the blades I found middle of the pack for sharpness for me in other razors, will come to life in this one.

I think for what the razor costs its arguably the best deal in all of shaving, provided it shaves as good as it looks. It should last as long as any vintage Gillette has, and going by the weight and construction, perhaps longer. It is in no way "cheap".

If one finds they desire a finer polish and a nicer plating job, I guess thats why Joris/Plisson sells razors. I would assume the quality of them to be very top shelf.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That's one beautiful Fatip Esox! My Grande is chrome. I got it before I got up to speed on nickel plating which I really like the looks of. The chrome plating is excellent though.

If you were doing it over would you get chrome or nickle? Why? Anything besides appearance?

I know nothing about these plating metals. I know brass is great and stainless is great and that I don't want any razor which won't hold up over time due to being made of junk.

My Feather AS-D2 is stainless plated with chrome (I believe it's chrome), and it seems to be good looking. Whether it will hold up over a hundred years I don't know. Whether nickle would be better operationally or aesthetically I don't know.

I believe some of my old Gillette razors are nickle plated brass. Boy, do they look good or what?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
If you were doing it over would you get chrome or nickle? Why? Anything besides appearance?

I know nothing about these plating metals. I know brass is great and stainless is great and that I don't want any razor which won't hold up over time due to being made of junk.

My Feather AS-D2 is stainless plated with chrome (I believe it's chrome), and it seems to be good looking. Whether it will hold up over a hundred years I don't know. Whether nickle would be better operationally or aesthetically I don't know.

I believe some of my old Gillette razors are nickle plated brass. Boy, do they look good or what?

Happy shaves,

Jim
I personally like the softer look of nickel. I have heard, however, that nickel is the best plating for brass as far as longevity. I don't know as it seems like vintage razors from the 1930's that the nickel plating is worn off more often than not. This could be since it is Depression Era plating done on the cheap. My chrome plating on my Fatip is perfectly fine.

Top Bottom