What's new

Gillette Short Comb (SC) admiration

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That blade went 133 shaves - my best ever! I normally average 60-80 shaves per blade, but some rogue blades sneak in there.

I couldnt handle the harshness even on the third shave so I tossed it. I still have the rest of the tuck though so I may eat my words yet again! lol

I couldnt handle the harshness even on the third shave so I tossed it. I still have the rest of the tuck though so I may eat my words yet again! lol
I know this better belongs in the Excalibur thread, but if a blade doesn't perform to your expectations, the right thing to do is what you did - pitch the blade and start over. I had a Feather earlier this year that went only about 10 shaves, and the next one immediately after went about 80.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Tradere is a smooth shaver but it favors a steeper angle. For me I shave shallow so the SC and Wolfman are my favorites.

You have a SC and a Wolfman, nice. I'm curious the differences you find between them? I see the Wolfman WR1 as the king of rigidity, but I've never used one.

You have a SC and a Wolfman, nice. I'm curious the differences you find between them? I see the Wolfman WR1 as the king of rigidity, but I've never used one.
You have me curious too now :) I've always just shaved with them and just thought of how good they are but now I'll do some comparison work. I shave every day so I'll alternate between the 2.
My bet is on the SC because it clamps the blade along the whole arc of the cap/base whereas the Wolfman is just at both sides. Granted, the Wolfman does have a wide clamping surface so I'm thinking the difference is going to be very minimal.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Do you have the WR1? It appears to be very rigid. Being stainless it could also be tightened more than I'd feel comfortable doing on my SC.

I look forward to your comparison...

WolfmanWR1.png

Do you have the WR1? It appears to be very rigid. Being stainless it could also be tightened more than I'd feel comfortable doing on my SC.

I look forward to your comparison...

View attachment 814865
Yup, the WR1 is what I have. And it is rigid, no doubt about it. I think I will end up splitting hairs to find a difference but we shall see.
I will keep the lather thin so I can pick up any subtle differences

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So I have come to a decision and picked a razor. It was hard for me to discern and so I shaved quite a few days before coming to this conclusion.

I used the same soap for all shaves and it was super runny. Absolutely no cushion, just a slippery medium which enabled me to feel the cutting action of the blade. Shaving WTG & XTG there was no difference I could feel. But where it gets tricky is ATG, I felt no difference anywhere until I shaved the mustache area. This patch of hair for me is dense and the individual hairs are thick. So for any razor, this is a challenge. I once tried ATG with my ATT H2 and I could feel the edge of the blade flex down in to my skin.

Both are very very smooth and with no blade flex. But it was only ATG on my mustache where there was a trace of difference. So the top spot for rigidity is the Wolfman. But I'm talking a minutia of difference.

It is so small a difference I had doubts so to be certain, I had been shaving with both everyday till SEptember 1st, shaving half my face with one and switching to use the other on the other half. I would switch razors to the other half the next day and I have been getting consistent results.

So Wolfman it is. But if the Wolfman is a 10 in rigidity the SC is a 9.8. So there it is

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So I have come to a decision and picked a razor. It was hard for me to discern and so I shaved quite a few days before coming to this conclusion.

I used the same soap for all shaves and it was super runny. Absolutely no cushion, just a slippery medium which enabled me to feel the cutting action of the blade. Shaving WTG & XTG there was no difference I could feel. But where it gets tricky is ATG, I felt no difference anywhere until I shaved the mustache area. This patch of hair for me is dense and the individual hairs are thick. So for any razor, this is a challenge. I once tried ATG with my ATT H2 and I could feel the edge of the blade flex down in to my skin.

Both are very very smooth and with no blade flex. But it was only ATG on my mustache where there was a trace of difference. So the top spot for rigidity is the Wolfman. But I'm talking a minutia of difference.

It is so small a difference I had doubts so to be certain, I had been shaving with both everyday till SEptember 1st, shaving half my face with one and switching to use the other on the other half. I would switch razors to the other half the next day and I have been getting consistent results.

So Wolfman it is. But if the Wolfman is a 10 in rigidity the SC is a 9.8. So there it is

Thanks for the update!

My suspicions have been confirmed! lol

I had an idea it would be close, maybe not that close, but close all the same. I further suspect we're among the minority that can actually feel the blade flex if it can at all. Coarse dense stubble needs a rigid blade to shave ATG. I seem to remember someone thats said that all along, if I only I could remember his name...lol

The Book of Rabidus.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have another NEW SC coming, with - finally - the correct topcap - I think!

Not pretty - finish is shot - but when cleaned up, red brass/yellow brass is a classic look too.

Blade-wise, I just went 5 with a Schick SS blade from 1970 - it was still fine when I tossed it. They don't make'em like they used to. (Luckily I have two more full packs- and I don't collect blades).

AA

Terrific thread!

I also have a Wolfman WR1 that is very rigid. This is one of the reasons that I like it so much.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I finally got a NEW SC topcap with the wicked square corner tabs ... Yessiree.

And the "popsicle stick" skinny common bar handle.

Shaves are amazing ... But you should see this OTHER razor that came ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
After a week with a scary\modified New Improved, and another week with a Blue Tip - better than you would think - picked up the popsicle stick NEW SC.

What an efficient shaver, especially with a vintage Krona blade. Yowza!

Though I hate the common bar fat handle - too light and usually wiggly - the less common popsicle stick common bar handle is impressive. Though the razor is somewhat top heavy, the handling is nice. Like a Knack or Black Beauty, but on a smaller scale.

AA

Top Bottom