What's new

White tea..

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's good stuff, but puerh shu is my cup of choice.

Real tea of so many types is just awesome - anything really that isn't CTC.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Cut-tear-curl, the basic processing that gives you a teabag filled with dust and tea leave floor sweepings.

CTC results in garbage, dollar store tea bags and an industry where the tea workers starve.

Drink good tea. It helps people around the world, and amazing quality tea is still a cheap - and healthy! - beverage.

AA

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Purple moonlight is my favourite ... I prefer the "big leaf" varieties compared to the "needles" ones.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Some whites can be lovely, but they're a novelty tea for me. They seem to go stale much faster than other teas, and are only good for a single infusion.

If you would like to taste some of the aforementioned shu puerh, just go to your local tropical fish store and dip your cup into a tank.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Some whites can be lovely, but they're a novelty tea for me. They seem to go stale much faster than other teas, and are only good for a single infusion.

If you would like to taste some of the aforementioned shu puerh, just go to your local tropical fish store and dip your cup into a tank.

No-no-no.

Earthy-mushroom, maybe, sometimes. True-tea ruby-red goodness with ridiculous number of infusions, always.

AA

ouch

No-no-no.

Earthy-mushroom, maybe, sometimes. True-tea ruby-red goodness with ridiculous number of infusions, always.

AA
When you say ridiculous number of infusions, I assume you're talking about shu, which is correct. I was referring to white tea falling apart after a single infusion.

I have had some very fine shu, and have several aging for the past ten years. My problem with shu is analogous to what I call the gambler's dilemma-
I don't gamble, even though I'm very good at it, for the following reason: I hate to lose more than I like to win.

The ratio of good shu to bad shu is probably lower than that of any other tea. Yes, I have had many greens and blacks that were abysmal, and plenty of sheng that left much to be desired, including some that almost poisoned me. But shu holds a special place in the pantheon of teas that make you wish you never started drinking. They can be delicious, but the ones that aren't can be absolutely godawful. For me, a great shu is like a wonderful cup of coffee, but it's such a crapshoot, even when dealing with some of the most famous names in the business.

If you were to place 100 random shu in front of me and asked me to arbitrarily select ten, I would be happy to do better than one for ten. I would much rather have that choice of oolong, where I would expect a success rate of better than 50%.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well. If you get a bad beeng of shu, you can take it skeet-shooting!

I've had good luck, so far. And it will take me so long to go through a beeng, it will be a while before I have to gamble again ... White2Tea will be the place I go back to - though I had good luck with Puerh Shop.

AA

ouch

I have a bad sore throat so I've been drinking my most medicinal teas constantly, including my old dirty brick cureall, which I consider to be a shu.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I find it's like wine- you have a good one and never remember the name to get it again ... only with good shu, it's worse. My best one I just call "the journalist's tea," as it was chosen by the Chinese press association ...

luckily I keep a Word doc on what I drank. this:

"2008 Menghai Qizibing Pu-erh Tea Cake " Certified as a chinese Organic product, this tea cake is the best 7572 we have ever tasted, but it's made by Yunnan Tea Research Institute instead of Menghai tea factory. The cake won a gold medal in 2009 and it was selected as the official tea for Chinese news organizations.

But, ah, as OP says, white tea is good too.

AA

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Purple moonlight is my favourite ... I prefer the "big leaf" varieties compared to the "needles" ones.

I was referring to white tea falling apart after a single infusion.

I think some whites last longer than others ... the ones I prefer also tend to be the ones which tend to give me more infusions. It's not going to outlast a puer, I admit, but certainly goes well beyond a single infusion for me.

I have a bad sore throat so I've been drinking my most medicinal teas constantly, including my old dirty brick cureall, which I consider to be a shu.

I think we have the same brick. I forget what it's called, but I have one stashed away and plan to bring it out whenever I get a sore throat.

ouch

That would be the el cheapo Xiaguan Baoyan brick, aka old dirty brick per Hobbes the Half Dipper, used to make Tibetan yak butter tea.

Looks nasty, tastes good, works better.

ouch

I find it's like wine- you have a good one and never remember the name to get it again ... only with good shu, it's worse. My best one I just call "the journalist's tea," as it was chosen by the Chinese press association ...

luckily I keep a Word doc on what I drank. this:

"2008 Menghai Qizibing Pu-erh Tea Cake " Certified as a chinese Organic product, this tea cake is the best 7572 we have ever tasted, but it's made by Yunnan Tea Research Institute instead of Menghai tea factory. The cake won a gold medal in 2009 and it was selected as the official tea for Chinese news organizations.

But, ah, as OP says, white tea is good too.

AA
I think I have one of those tucked away in a box. Now I have to look.

A good description of aged white tea.

I was given a sample of white peony that said picked in 2012 that I forgot about. I found it the other day and tasted it alongside a 2016. There was definitely a difference in taste, for the better. Color was deeper too.. I'll be purchasing some aged white when I get the chance.

Top Bottom