What's new

Do you remember when you started shaving and what you used?

I started when i was around 16 in 1992. My first razor was the newly released Wilkinson/ Schick Protector. In the commercials they stated he was so sharp, he had to be kept behind bars. I learned the hard way, that you can't trust marketing. The blades seemed rather dull, and even with the blades behind those guard wires, i managed to cut myself quite often, but that may have been through my acne at that time. Probably the worst razor i have used so far. Some time later i switched to a Gillette Sensor Excel, which was a huge improvement compared to the Protector.
For years i tried out every new cartridge razor, of all of them i liked the Wilkinson/ Hydro 5 the most and used it till i switched to DE/ SE shaving this year. Since then i had no more problems with ingrown hairs. I have no intention to go back to a cartridge razor ever!
Guard wires never made sense to me. Skin in contact with or very near the wires would not get a close shave. Skin between the wires would bulge up to contact the blades with uneven pressure. This arrangement seems more likely to cause problems.

Guard wires never made sense to me. Skin in contact with or very near the wires would not get a close shave. Skin between the wires would bulge up to contact the blades with uneven pressure. This arrangement seems more likely to cause problems.

Not so long i would have to agree with you, i also thought that guard wires were a stupid idea. But when i tried out my first SE razor, i was a bit intimidated, because people told me how extremely sharp these Artist Blades were and because of that i choose the Feather Proguard Blades. These work really great for me, even though there a wires around the blade. I also heard great things about the Feather MR3 Neo, so it may have been just that the protector was a flawed design or me not knowing what i was doing, most likely a bit of both.

I started shaving with a disposable, probably a Bic, back in high school, probably in 1978 or 1979. Used canned goo much like everyone else back then. Graduated to various carts such as the Trac II, Atra, Sensor and Mach 3. Started shaving with a double edge in April of 2016, and haven't looked back.

When I travel I usually carry my bags on. Don't trust the airlines. That means I'm still using my Mach 3 when flying. Used it this past weekend on a trip to Miami and the first of two shaves was nice. I had not shaved for a couple of days prior. The second shave of the trip was the next day and it was pretty bad. I could feel the razor scraping my skin and there wasn't much relief as I focused on my technique. I'm a convert for good. At some point I plan on picking up the straight edge I bought and working on learning how to use it. I tried shaving with it twice and was only comfortable shaving my upper portion of my face. Didn't go near my upper lip or chin or my neck. In due time.

I started shaving with a disposable, probably a Bic, back in high school, probably in 1978 or 1979. Used canned goo much like everyone else back then. Graduated to various carts such as the Trac II, Atra, Sensor and Mach 3. Started shaving with a double edge in April of 2016, and haven't looked back.

When I travel I usually carry my bags on. Don't trust the airlines. That means I'm still using my Mach 3 when flying. Used it this past weekend on a trip to Miami and the first of two shaves was nice. I had not shaved for a couple of days prior. The second shave of the trip was the next day and it was pretty bad. I could feel the razor scraping my skin and there wasn't much relief as I focused on my technique. I'm a convert for good. At some point I plan on picking up the straight edge I bought and working on learning how to use it. I tried shaving with it twice and was only comfortable shaving my upper portion of my face. Didn't go near my upper lip or chin or my neck. In due time.

We share a similar shaving history, but I never got into the double edge razors. After I retired, I was elated to be able to grow a beard, as my job as a firefighter prohibited it. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I tired of the beard after many years, and a very hot dry Summer up here in the PNW, and decided to go clean shaven again. I had always wondered what the straight razor was like, and decided to "go big, or go home" so to speak.

I, like you, was apprehensive about my first time out, and was uncomfortable going anywhere outside my cheek areas, BUT, with a shave ready razor, good prep, and taking it slow, I was able to complete the job. Now, my first couple of shaves were not the best, but I was able to gain trust in myself, and the razor. After a long day yesterday, I finished up with a shower and a shave, before relaxing with some bourbon. I believe it was number 7, or 8, and it was probable the most comfortable, and closed shave I've ever experienced. Like the commercial says "just do it".

We share a similar shaving history, but I never got into the double edge razors. After I retired, I was elated to be able to grow a beard, as my job as a firefighter prohibited it. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I tired of the beard after many years, and a very hot dry Summer up here in the PNW, and decided to go clean shaven again. I had always wondered what the straight razor was like, and decided to "go big, or go home" so to speak.

I, like you, was apprehensive about my first time out, and was uncomfortable going anywhere outside my cheek areas, BUT, with a shave ready razor, good prep, and taking it slow, I was able to complete the job. Now, my first couple of shaves were not the best, but I was able to gain trust in myself, and the razor. After a long day yesterday, I finished up with a shower and a shave, before relaxing with some bourbon. I believe it was number 7, or 8, and it was probable the most comfortable, and closed shave I've ever experienced. Like the commercial says "just do it".

I hear you. My first two attempts weren't bad, and actually the shave I got on my cheeks was actually pretty good. I just haven't taken the time yet to practice. I started out with a Gold Dollar special that was then professionally honed by a B&B member so it has a good edge and delivered a decent shave. My plan is to use that to learn and if I can become reasonably proficient then buy a quality new straight and a good vintage straight. I'm sure SRAD will take hold but this is what I'm hoping for short term. You are correct sir. I'm going to "just do it".

Merkur HD 34C
Israeli blades
Col. Conk Amber shave soap
Nivea AS Balm

Once I got to this site anyway. (First shave ever was with a Gillette Fatboy and Gillette lemon Lime in a can.) Have no idea whatever happened to that razor!

The horror show progression consisted of Magic Shave powder, or a multi blade, then finally electric.

marty

I started shaving in the mid-80s. I started with a hand-me-down electric that my dad gave me (I can't recall if it was a Braun or a Remington). I wasn't very successful, especially on my neck. I'd go over my neck so many times that it was bright red and burning by the time I was done.

One day I was at the store and saw a battery powered vibrating handle that used Atra cartridges (the whole vibrating handle has been around for a while). I taught myself to shave with the cartridges and used those most of my life. I've gone through stages where I tried Norelco, Remington, and Braun--falling for some advertising promising a closer shave on the neck, but I always went back to cartridges, until I found DE and SE shaving a few years ago.

I remember it was 1970 I was 15 and used my dads Gillette de. Since then I've been thru the whole gambit of razors but came back to wet shaving a few years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I started in the mid 60's. It was a Gillette TTO and Foamy. That's all I know for sure.
And I remember nicks and pieces of toilet paper on my face frequently. :lol1:

My first razor was a '73 ball end Tech I bought at the recommendation of my father in the mid seventies. I used it daily, even when I didn't need to, for about ten years.

Gillette Super Speed, earlier than the Flair Tip but notched, I have no idea as to what time frame it was manufactured in. The soap was Old Spice in a mug, and the brush was unknown to me. It could have been a Fuller Brush for all I know. ;) The blade was a (you guessed it) Gillette Blue Blade. Oh, and this was all happening in the year of our Lord 1958.

No Old Spice aftershave smells anything like the old stuff, and as memory serves me, the Old Spice Shaving Soap didn't smell much like Old Spice Aftershave but had more of a Tabacco Verde type of scent and as I recall definitely not the Old Spice cologne scent.

You guessed it, I got a BBS, one pass and maybe not a complete pass either but ... it was "the" beginning. And now here we are, and one of my more pleasurable razors today is my 1948 Gillette Super Speed but the blades are not those damned Gillette Blue Blades made of carbon steel. My aftershave of choice is not Old Spice, I did not ever like the smell but I choose to use it from time to time and reminisce. My preference would be Palmolive aftershave it you could get it but ... Clubman Pinaud will have to suffice...

Thanks for listening. :)

I was probably about 15 - so roughly 1973. My first razor was a DE - a second one my dad had. I believe it may have been a Slim, I remember it was an adjustable. Later on, there was some experimentation with a SE/injector at some point before going to cartridges. Then back to DE in 2014.

My first shave would have been 76-77 and it was with a Gillette Trac II. I do remember after a couple of years going to the Gillette Atra. Pretty sure it was with Barbasol.

@razorhead63. I don't know if I would call it a GREAT razor (at least for me)! As after trying those 2 for a few years of bad irritation and crazy ingrown hair I went to strictly shaving with electrics. Didn't get as close a shave but at least for me my face didn't look like I shaved with my butchers knife. I think it was actually a commercial with Rick from Pawn Stars that woke me up to DE shaving. Use to HATE the thought of shaving, now its a pleasure!

Top Bottom