What's new

Flowers In The Dark Review

I still can't figure out how to add pics directly into my post via iPad. All pics are attached. Please bear with me.

This review contains both a review of the soap and matching aftershave.

The Soap

Cracking open the can you are greeted with the lavender first. The aroma starts out smooth and sweet but changes to a deep woodsy smell. Bitter sweet is the perfect description of this soap's fragrance. It's the most manly floral sent I've come across. The smell of this soap is top notch and I could give the soap five stars on it alone. But smell isn't everything.

This soap falls under the "soft soap" category. It's not a puck but a very hard cream. Think really cold butter smooth to the touch. Running my dry fingers across the dry soap left a slick residue. That really gave me hope for a good shave.

The Lather Application

After a few drops of hot tap water on the soap I grabbed my synthetic Satin Tip brush. I was surprised at how quickly the brush picked up the soap. In just a few moments the brush was full and ready to rock.

Usually I would just apply the brush to my face for a lather, but this time I used a hand bowl to show off the suds.

The aroma is really something when on the face. Relaxing and refreshing.

The Shave

For this shave I used my Dovo Bismarck straight razor.

The shave was superb. The slickness of this soap is excellent and much better than I expected from vegan soap. Every pass was smooth with no irritation or nicks.

After a few passes and reapplication of soap I rinsed my face with cold water. My skin felt soft and smelled exceptional. No problems.

The Aftershave

The alum block confirmed that there were no nicks or cuts. A great shave for me.

Rinsing again with cold water I grabbed the matching aftershave. The little 4oz bottle has the old fashioned look of a Hoppes 9 solvent.

The fragrance is a 99% match to the soap. The alcohol give it just a little bit of a difference. After application the sent is 100% spot on. Wonderful.

A few minutes after application my skin started to feel tight and refreshed. I'm glad to report that the sent lasted all day and wasn't overpowering.

The Verdict

Flowers In The Dark has become one of my favorite shaving soaps hands down. The fragrance is fantastic, the shave is wonderful, and the aftershave is a hit.

Attachments

• flowersinthedark3.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 56
  • flowersinthedark1.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 37
  • flowersinthedark2.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 37
  • flowersinthedark5.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 36
Thanks for the review. Very thorough. I had the same experience. Been raving about this scent for weeks. It's the #1 scent in my stable of over 70 soaps. Performance is up there with the best of them but not quite tier 1. A great buy for sure. Snag the EdT if you can. It's superb as well.

Nice review well done.
Personally I enjoy a warm rinse after it is winter here

For adding photos to my posts I use Tapatalk free version I find it much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review. Very thorough. I had the same experience. Been raving about this scent for weeks. It's the #1 scent in my stable of over 70 soaps. Performance is up there with the best of them but not quite tier 1. A great buy for sure. Snag the EdT if you can. It's superb as well.

Glad you liked it!

After rinsing out your brush, did you find that it was still slick? Even with really hot water?

Nice review well done.
Personally I enjoy a warm rinse after it is winter here

For adding photos to my posts I use Tapatalk free version I find it much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'll try Tapatalk later.

I can't say that I recall. The next time I use this beauty I'll be sure to look out for that.

I found even with a synthetic brush that the bristles were smooth and soft. Even after a hot water rinse.

I forgot to mention that Dr. Jon included a free tin of their "regular" shave soap for free!

I say "regular" as the tin doesn't list a specific sent.

Just bringing this one back up. Because of this thread, I decided to try the Flowers in the Dark soap and aftershave. My order came in yesterday and I tried it last night. Worked great for me, and I liked the smell, too. The aftershave seemed to stay around for at least an hour or so. Perhaps most importantly, SWMBO liked the smell.

Just bringing this one back up. Because of this thread, I decided to try the Flowers in the Dark soap and aftershave. My order came in yesterday and I tried it last night. Worked great for me, and I liked the smell, too. The aftershave seemed to stay around for at least an hour or so. Perhaps most importantly, SWMBO liked the smell.

Glad the review helped!

Did you get a free can of shave soap with your?

How is the beard oil treating you?

Just came in today. The beard oil smells identical to the soap and it left my beard silky and smooth. Very good performance. Now I can put one more layer of Flowers In The Dark on. Couldn't be happier. The shirt is great as well, and they included a little extra something for me too. Great service.

I have the soap / AS arriving tomorrow, can't wait to give it a try. I also ordered a tin of Black label. Curious to see if I got my order placed in time for the old stock freebies. All his scents sound so good to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have the soap / AS arriving tomorrow, can't wait to give it a try. I also ordered a tin of Black label. Curious to see if I got my order placed in time for the old stock freebies. All his scents sound so good to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You will not be disappointed. The scent is outstanding and the performance is great. I just hope they make it a permanent fixture in the line. Enjoy.

Top Bottom