What's new

Strong Leopard Shavette With Antelope Blades

Don't worry my friend! It's still fun fun fun :)
And it has hearts on the handle...
Actually I got the one with the teardrops (watching my $5 go down the drain). ;-)
1 long.jpg

Box of Antelope Super 77. Do I have to split them, or can this take them whole? there appears to be a lot of space above the guide pins.

Box of Antelope Super 77. Do I have to split them, or can this take them whole? there appears to be a lot of space above the guide pins.
This will take whole blades.
I got a box of those too but haven't tried them yet...
...Imagine a safety razor that took these blades :)

Mine came yesterday. I ordered the teardrops but got love hearts instead, damn it!

Closing the clip on a full-sized blade makes the blade stick out a little bit too much at the heel. Is it the same for you guys? Works better – nice even blade exposure – with half blades (they're easy to snap).

Mine came yesterday. I ordered the teardrops but got love hearts instead, damn it!

Closing the clip on a full-sized blade makes the blade stick out a little bit too much at the heel. Is it the same for you guys? Works better – nice even blade exposure – with half blades (they're easy to snap).
The blade exposure on mine stays even when the clip is fully closed but the nubs to hold the blade are misshapen so there's some play and the blade means manually aligning.
I guess there's just poor QC all round with this model, although snapping the blade in half is a great idea.
The Strong Leopard is a much better affair completely if you ask me.

...And hey! sometimes you're expecting teardrops and you get hearts :)

Okay, based on @mjclark and @BoldSpice initial recommendations and not wanting to take the chance of getting hearts instead of teardrops, I was able to cancel my order. I searched eBay and found a ZY 77 which is what the Strong Leopard originally started life as and ordered that instead. So I'm paying nearly twice the price ($7), but I'll be getting a razor that folks are somewhat impressed with. Will check in when it arrives. Oh, and blades that come with it? If it is the ones in the picture of the listing, it is a yellow and blue box with "special" on it.

Oh, and blades that come with it? If it is the ones in the picture of the listing, it is a yellow and blue box with "special" on it.

The Cloud Platinums, I guess. Haven't tried them yet. Tried the Clouds in a red box and they appear to be nice and sharp.

These Cloud shavettes look nice and colourful, amirite:

cloudshavette.JPG

Last edited:
My 77 and 74 models arrived today from Aliexpress. They're a little rough around the edges, but I like the weight and balance.

Looking forward to shaving tomorrow morning with the longer blades. I didn't realise the whole blade went in and I snapped one in half. Still seems to be held securely in place though so should be OK!

Shaved with the longer blade model today. Great first pass. Went for a second pass, sliced into my cheek! Haha! Scars are cool, though, right?

Love the weight and balance, blade seems the right combination of smooth and sharp. Nice. And at this price, a huge bargain!

Shaved with the longer blade model today. Great first pass. Went for a second pass, sliced into my cheek! Haha! Scars are cool, though, right?

That's what it's all about, isn't it?

I'm having fun/trouble trying to master the long Vanta. It's a really light razor. I mean, it tries to float away it's so light (I need to get some weighing scales). The blades fit great in it – you'll need to snap one or have a box of half-sized blades – two nubs correspond to the holes in the blade at the heel and toe, and the long clip slides across to hold it all in place.

VantaRA109.JPG

That's what it's all about, isn't it?

I'm having fun/trouble trying to master the long Vanta. It's a really light razor. I mean, it tries to float away it's so light (I need to get some weighing scales). The blades fit great in it – you'll need to snap one or have a box of half-sized blades – two nubs correspond to the holes in the blade at the heel and toe, and the long clip slides across to hold it all in place.

View attachment 813054
What? Is this a Vanta that takes these long Chinese blades?
Where did you get that from?
This thread is getting deeper and deeper :)

In other news my 100 Jishis arrived so I suppose that's about 4 years shaving right there!
IMG_8852.JPG

What? Is this a Vanta that takes these long Chinese blades?
Where did you get that from?

Got mine from Hairmaker.gr. I guess it's really made for those Western long blades, like the Dovo, etc., but all those blades have those same holes at the ends, right?

And your 100 blades... mjclark is going to stick with one razor for four years? :001_rolle:001_rolle

Great thanks! You're right that the narrow head and light weight do make it look unstable.

So are these Chinese Long blades just copies of the Dovo long blades?

And I'm realising more and more what a great razor the Strong Leopard 77-A is.
Now that has weight and stability!

And it makes sense to snap the blades in half even in that so that the unused side doesn't corrode while it's up in the head.
And your 100 blades... mjclark is going to stick with one razor for four years? :001_rolle:001_rolle
Ha ha - what do you think?

So are these Chinese Long blades just copies of the Dovo long blades?

The middle holes in those blades are different, innit.

Here's what the Vanta looks like under the clip

vanta.jpg

The corners of the blade stick out with this one, not like the other Vantas.

Last edited:
I'm slightly new on the DE shaving after my last DE shave 25 years ago, but going quite fast on the path DE - Shavette - Straight path. After comfortably shaving with DEs and Shavettes, I am now working on my straight razor honing and stropping techniques. However I couldn't reach a better-than-shavette comfortable shave yet.

For a few weeks I am using the cheap Dovo Shavette lookalike with Antelope blades. They aren't as sharp as DE blades but I think Antelope blades give me a very comfortable shave, with almost no scratches. Very much like how a real straight razor should feel, at least in my understanding. I'm now intrigued to try other types of blades in this format. I could only find Antelope blades until today.

After finding this thread today, I just ordered 100 x Jishi and 100x Cloud blades, 77 and 74 razor couple and another cheapest shavette using these blades.

Just noticed that this seller has the shavette we all know and love but with a different locking mechanism. Anyone tried it? It has "Huerbo" on the handle, but I've seen that written on the other style of shavette too. Maybe this is a new model. Old model?

huerbo.JPG

After finding this thread today, I just ordered 100 x Jishi and 100x Cloud blades, 77 and 74 razor couple and another cheapest shavette using these blades.

Nice. It will be good to hear what you think of those blades.

Last edited:
Top Bottom