What's new

Gillette Silver Blue - A Review

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It has been my experience, and that of more than a few others here on B&B, that the second shave is better than the first with the GSB's. I just finished shave number 4 with one, in three different razors, and noticed no appreciable difference from the 2 previous shaves. If you haven't noticed, GSB's are my favorite! Others here have mentioned that they strop the blade before it's first use on some denim. I have not yet tried this. I prefer to live dangerously, and use my extremely handsome face to knock any burrs off the blade. But I am just a little bit off, in many ways.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
What's the point of the wax?
Also what is the history of Gillette blades. Made in Russia by 7oclick? At least that's what amazon says.

...I prefer to live dangerously, and use my extremely handsome face to knock any burrs off the blade. But I am just a little bit off, in many ways.
@FarmerTan , these lines almost cost me my keyboard and dress shirt! Dangerous to sip coffee while reading posts before work!

I have tried the stropping (2 to 3 swipes) and I did notice a difference. Or it could have been that the post-War Tech held the blade so rigidly. But either way, it was the best first shave I had experienced to that point.

@Rhody the wax dots drive me bonkers, too. I am trying to just ignore them and pretend they aren't there. Some mornings this method works...

Interesting to read through this thread. My reading is that there is a CONSENSUS (very rare here on B&B):
1. GSB are very SMOOTH blades (just about as good as it gets IMO!)
2. GSB are SHARP ENOUGH for most (not too sharp).
3. GSB LAST well enough for most.
Just my summary of an excellent thread!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Try an extremely shallow angle, it will slice more than scrape. Ride the cap and lower the handle until the blade engages. Do not focus on "feeling" the blade, focus on feeling stubble being cut. Listen for feedback.

d8d9759d79f476d9249a1ec44a2d1436dd5a124c882464e2e36c07b94997499d.jpg

Wow. I'm a bit stunned tbh.

You should make a thread titled "How to Shave with a Gillette NEW SC Without a Blade!" because thats exactly what it felt like.

Shaving like that is something like a "Life Hack". I didnt have to change the angle much and once I was there just a simple grip change on the razor and I was in business. I found the change in pressure I needed to apply more difficult to maintain than the angle. I didnt feel the blade at all and honestly was stunned to end up with one of, if not the most comfortable, BBS shaves I've ever had, albeit with one tiny weeper from the difference in pressure required, which was slightly more for me. I cant say I felt the blade at all other than giving myself that one small weeper. Not feeling the blade like that and hearing the stubble being cut instead of both threw me off, but I'm onto ya now ;)

For all you people that already do this, laugh if you must, but this is exactly the type of information that needs to be more mainstream. That one simple adjustment of technique, once explained and understood, can save some people, such as myself, a lot of blood, irritation and misery lol.

Last edited:
I found Astra SP much sharper and almost as smooth. I havent used one of those for a couple months either though...

I have used a Gillette Platinum recently and I'm not sure I could tell it apart from a GSB. I have one more of them to try too.

For some reason I find Derby Extra cuts better on the first pass and also much smoother, but I seem to be having a love affair with that blade haha.

I still have several different blades to try in my hunt for a better blade than a Polsilver for me. The only ones that come close thus far have been SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium, which may even be tied with the Polsilver, it really is a fantastic blade, and Derby Extra.

Honorable mention to Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow, which I'll revisit. The one time I did try it, it gave me a simple easy 2 pass shave and done for a BBS finish, no buffing needed at all. It felt and seemed sharper than the tuck of Feather blades I used, but also gave me some red...spots. It was like it leveled off the skin at some hair follicles on my neck. No pain, no itch, just those red spots so it may have been either my technique needs adjusting for it and/or using it in the SC instead of the Tech or SS, not sure. Either way it's an amazingly sharp blade I found.

I have 100 Feather blades in the mail and I'm looking forward to them.

I also have some PermaSharp, Wizimet Super Iridium, 7 O'Clock Yellow Sharp Edge, 7 O'Clock Green Super Stainless. 7 O'Clock Black Super Platinum which I didnt get along with at first attempt, Personna Lab Blue and Med Prep, Astra SS, Gillette Goal, Gillette Sword, Voskhod, Zorrik, and also a single Kai blade that I've been trying to save but every time I open my blade box its starts screaming TRYYY MEEE lol. I'm curious to see if theres a difference between the two Personna blades. I have used a Personna Platinum (Red) and didnt care for it much. It resembled the Trig I recently used.

I'll keep the same reviews going for each blade I try. It might be the Voskhod next. When I was still a lurker on this site I must have watched every NickShaves blade review video on YouTube and he really liked the Voshkod.

1. Try the Voskhod's if you haven't yet (sorry I know this is a GSB thread. That one is on my "need to try" list). I used a Voskhod yesterday (had to use my electric today due to time constraints... grumble grumble) and it was VERY smooth. I'm going to use it a few more days and see how it does but it might have been one of the smoothest shaves I've had. Not sure about sharpness as it wasn't anything I would consider as a close shave, but it didn't tug like derbys can do to me.

2. The shallow angle you were just posting about has seemed to work wonders for me. If I'm understanding how @rabidus is describing it, you lay the top cap against your face, lower your hand until you notice it is cutting and use that angle? Just started doing that as I had been doing the geofatboy put the safety bar against my face and rotate til I feel the blade. I noticed with the RazoRock OLD style that this technique worked pretty well, but my face is still too irritated to use the OLD style effectively for now. I think most of us rotate too far when we do the top cap and want to "feel" the blade so we know it is cutting. I like what rabidus said about the audible feedback: great way to judge whether things are actually being cut for me.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Try the Voskhod's if you haven't yet

See that review here and yes I agree, they are a very nice blade.

Voskhod - A Review

I edited my post in the "Disheartened" thread and explained what I did today. Maintaining that very fine angle through the entire shave is more a challenge than I initially thought as I now have some patchy stubble, but yeah, it works!

The way I previously shaved, I was riding the comb almost as much as I was the cap and thats why this razor felt like it was scraping the stubble off, but no longer. The only drawback I have right now is, I was using the comb to drag the soap back as I was buffing, and I noticed today that the comb wasnt even in the lather after my first pass, so there was nothing too drag back.

Now I'm starting to understand preshave prep and its importance. Hmmm.

Interesting! I am not yet able to do blade buffing (I'm still in pursuit of the irritation free shave!) but I can see how not being able to drag the soap back would make buffing more difficult. Nice review of the Voskhod btw, I need to start looking in the blade thread more, sorry. I also have watched all of Nick Shaves blade reviews to help guide me a bit as I go forward! Glad that you discovered a technique that seems to be working well (irritation-wise anyway)!

View attachment 809290

Wow. I'm a bit stunned tbh.

You should make a thread titled "How to Shave with a Gillette NEW SC Without a Blade!" because thats exactly what it felt like.

Shaving like that is something like a "Life Hack". I didnt have to change the angle much and once I was there just a simple grip change on the razor and I was in business. I found the change in pressure I needed to apply more difficult to maintain than the angle. I didnt feel the blade at all and honestly was stunned to end up with one of, if not the most comfortable, BBS shaves I've ever had, albeit with one tiny weeper from the difference in pressure required, which was slightly more for me. I cant say I felt the blade at all other than giving myself that one small weeper. Not feeling the blade like that and hearing the stubble being cut instead of both threw me off, but I'm onto ya now ;)

For all you people that already do this, laugh if you must, but this is exactly the type of information that needs to be more mainstream. That one simple adjustment of technique, once explained and understood, can save some people, such as myself, a lot of blood, irritation and misery lol.
I'm thinking it was the way you were riding
The comb that caused you to have a less
Than stellar experience with the 7o'clock
Blacks , to be a fair stand-up guy "LOL" you should try the 7o'clock Blacks again , while applying your new found knowledge , and
Then report back your findings , and if it
Turns out that the Blade just dosen't work
For you then so be it , but believe me and
Quite a few others , the 7o'clock Blacks are
Among the finest blades out there.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm thinking it was the way you were riding
The comb that caused you to have a less
Than stellar experience with the 7o'clock
Blacks , to be a fair stand-up guy "LOL" you should try the 7o'clock Blacks again , while applying your new found knowledge , and
Then report back your findings , and if it
Turns out that the Blade just dosen't work
For you then so be it , but believe me and
Quite a few others , the 7o'clock Blacks are
Among the finest blades out there.

Yes! LOL.

I feel the same, its made my reviews moot haha. Good thing I have full tucks of most tested blades lol.

I was riding the cap slightly more than the comb, but not a lot, and just letting the razor dictate its own angle between the two. It honestly never occurred to me to try "riding the cap" like that until rabidus explained it the way he did and again, the light went off over my head.

Gillette blades have never let me down so far, the platinum, yellows, GSB and I guess you can put Polsilver in that group? All have been great!

Yesterday I did the extremely shallow, listen rather than feel, shave with a GSB on shave #9 in my beloved Slim set to 6. Wow! Actually, double wow!! I mentioned elsewhere that I tend to bin the blade after 4 uses. Early on, shave 5 or 6 on a blade wasn't as enjoyable. Now a year later, my technique improved more than I thought, and reading in the Excalibur thread challenged me to push past shave 4 and see if there are more good shaves in any given blade. So making it to shave 9 on a blade that I believed was "bad for me" after 4 shaves is a wow. And using audible feedback instead of feeling resulted in another wow. Beautifully close with zero irritation. I plan to push the blade to shave 10 with a late morning shave today!

Top Bottom