What's new

Perma-Sharp Super - A Review

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My first use of this blade and I remember when I had just come back to DE shaving and watching NickShaves blade reviews on YouTube and how much he liked this blade so I've been anxious to use it.

I only have the single blade so no tuck to look at. I understand these are also Russian made Gillette blades, and have the usual two wax dots holding the wrapper on. I also understand these blades are PTFE coated.

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

On to the shave...

Gillette NEW SC
Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
Omega boar

Edit to add a pic haha.
IMG_1676.jpg

50 hours since last shave.

My usual two pass+ shave. First pass WTG and it felt a bit tuggy, very similar to the Voskhod I recently reviewed. Finish the first pass, wipe and check with a wet hand and a very nice shave, closer than the Voskhod.

Lather up for round 2 and directly ATG. Zero tugging and extremely smooth. The 7 O'Clock Green I reviewed last shave was among the smoothest blades I'd yet used. This blade is as smooth, but sharper. I finish that pass, wipe and check again. Very close to BBS but not quite there yet.

The BBS finish took me actually 2 more clean up passes but I'm rewarded with a nice BBS finish and one of my best shaves yet.

This blade is nearly as sharp as my go to Polsilver SI but quite a lot smoother. Buffing with this blade was extremely comfortable. More comfortable than with a Polsilver.

This is a top shelf blade for me and when I feel the need I'll definitely be buying more. If this was typical performance from the single blade I have, this may just be the blade to replace Polsilver for me. Very impressive.

I'm amazed that there are so many blades out of the same Russian plant and yet they have distinct, sometimes very minor, differences among them.

For all of you that love the Gillette Greens, give these a try. You may be as impressed as I am.

Last edited:
I am about to add a review of the Permasharp Super to my 18 blade Try a Blade gauntlet, that is as soon as the thing quits on me... I'm on the 9th shave and it's showing no signs of giving up any time soon.

And great review Esox.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Great review again @Esox and I agree completely. Great sharp and smooth blade that lasts me 6-7 shaves.

I was meaning to get back to you on the the Voskhod thread. I have 9 Voskhods that you can have if you want them. Send me a PM.

I think you'll find that the Permasharp yields a closer second and probably third shave than the first. This is not atypical for coated blades but I find it especially true of the Permasharp. It's been my go to blade for the last year or so (though the BIC is giving it some competition right now).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks guys glad you enjoy my reviews and I'll keep em comin lol.

I was meaning to get back to you on the the Voskhod thread. I have 9 Voskhods that you can have if you want them. Send me a PM.

I will happily take them off your hands if you dont want them. Thanks a lot! Expect a PM shortly.

I think you'll find that the Permasharp yields a closer second and probably third shave than the first. This is not atypical for coated blades but I find it especially true of the Permasharp. It's been my go to blade for the last year or so (though the BIC is giving it some competition right now).

Interesting you say that. The BBS shave it gave me yesterday didnt last as long as some other blades. I was feeling slight growth 2-3 hours after the shave. It will have its work cut out for it tomorrow so I'll report back.

I really dont mind if the BBS doesnt last as long as 9 hours or more from these blades. They're so smooth and comfortable to shave with they more than make up for it. My go to blade is Polsilver and while very sharp, and quite smooth as compared to many blades, consecutive shaves with them can leave my skin at less than 100%. This is why I have over 200 Derby Extra blades, so I can use one of them in between to give my skin a bit of a rest.

These blades can easily replace them in my rotation and if I didnt already have 200 Derby blades I would have ordered 100 of these yesterday.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Second shave, 50 hours later.

Gillette NEW SC - Same blade, flipped.
Stirling Executive Man
Omega boar

The same two pass+ shave, but with one big surprise.

I adjusted my technique slightly as rabidus recommended and now I'm a bit confused as to this blade and shave. I've replied about my technique change here:

View attachment 809290

Wow. I'm a bit stunned tbh.

You should make a thread titled "How to Shave with a Gillette NEW SC Without a Blade!" because thats exactly what it felt like.

Shaving like that is something like a "Life Hack". I didnt have to change the angle much and once I was there just a simple grip change on the razor and I was in business. I found the change in pressure I needed to apply more difficult to maintain than the angle. I didnt feel the blade at all and honestly was stunned to end up with one of, if not the most comfortable, BBS shaves I've ever had, albeit with one tiny weeper from the difference in pressure required, which was slightly more for me. I cant say I felt the blade at all other than giving myself that one small weeper. Not feeling the blade like that and hearing the stubble being cut instead of both threw me off, but on onto ya now ;)

For all you people that already do this, laugh if you must, but this is exactly the type of information that needs to be more mainstream. That one simple adjustment of technique, once explained and understood, can save some people, such as myself, a lot of blood, irritation and misery lol.

In the end, one of my most comfortable BBS shaves yet and I honestly feel that goes more to the slight angle adjustment than the blade, although the blade is still a large factor in it. Zero, and I mean no tugging at all. The same goes to irritation, but how can one get irritation with the blade edge so slightly in contact with the skin? I didnt, at least on this shave and I dont feel I will unless I get that angle wrong and as aggressive as this NEW SC is, it will tell me immediately lol.

If someone would have tried telling me a year ago "proper" shaving was such a process and evolution of technique as it actually is, I would have laughed. I'm still laughing, but for different reasons.

In my journey to find the ultimate blade for my face and type of beard I bought some time ago a tuck of Perma Sharps. As it was supposed to be used tomorrow the blade was already placed in my trusty 40's Super Speed ready for morning action.
So I had my relaxed Sunday shave this morning, thinking I was using the Treet Platinum I've been using all week.
I started the first pass and felt the blade a little tuggy. I thought the Treet was at the end of its life..."here we are, time to bin this excellent blade". I lathered for the second pass and the blade was gliding on my skin so smooth and sharp I couldn't believe my pores. "Wow, how can this blade shave so great on its sixth day, I thought it was gone for good!" ATG pass was one of the best I've ever had and it left a super close BBS with close to none irritation. "Wow, I thought, these Treets are phenomenal!". When I opened the razor to clean it and rinse the blade what a surprise!
This was my first "blind date" with a Perma-Sharp.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
In my journey to find the ultimate blade for my face and type of beard I bought some time ago a tuck of Perma Sharps. As it was supposed to be used tomorrow the blade was already placed in my trusty 40's Super Speed ready for morning action.
So I had my relaxed Sunday shave this morning, thinking I was using the Treet Platinum I've been using all week.
I started the first pass and felt the blade a little tuggy. I thought the Treet was at the end of its life..."here we are, time to bin this excellent blade". I lathered for the second pass and the blade was gliding on my skin so smooth and sharp I couldn't believe my pores. "Wow, how can this blade shave so great on its sixth day, I thought it was gone for good!" ATG pass was one of the best I've ever had and it left a super close BBS with close to none irritation. "Wow, I thought, these Treets are phenomenal!". When I opened the razor to clean it and rinse the blade what a surprise!
This was my first "blind date" with a Perma-Sharp.

If you find it a bit tuggy, adjust the angle slightly. Thats worked for me, but they really are nice blades.

Thanks Esox. Actually I found them a little tuggy just at first pass. Later on they felt sooo smooth and sharp.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So can you share the technique change or point us to the post that @rabidus made the suggestion? I'd love to give it a try.

Gillette Silver Blue - A Review

I've used this blade a lot the last month or so. I lost count of the shaves I had on it when I tossed it, but it was over 12.

I need a little more time with it, but it may just be my #1 blade. It is my #1 blade in my Gillette Regent, not sure in the NEW SC yet. I didnt think I'd find a blade that would dethrone Polsilver, but I just may have...

Gillette Silver Blue - A Review

I've used this blade a lot the last month or so. I lost count of the shaves I had on it when I tossed it, but it was over 12.

I need a little more time with it, but it may just be my #1 blade. It is my #1 blade in my Gillette Regent, not sure in the NEW SC yet. I didnt think I'd find a blade that would dethrone Polsilver, but I just may have...
Thanks! I've got 2 shaves down with a Polsilver and I've been very impressed. My top blades are Astra SPs and Gillette 7OC Blacks. The Polsilver is giving them a run for their money, and I think I'm going to order a tuck of the Permasharp blades to give them a try.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks! I've got 2 shaves down with a Polsilver and I've been very impressed. My top blades are Astra SPs and Gillette 7OC Blacks. The Polsilver is giving them a run for their money, and I think I'm going to order a tuck of the Permasharp blades to give them a try.

Astra SP was the first DE blade I tried when I came back to using DE razors again in I think, April of this year. It was nice and sharp, smooth enough and priced right, but I havent gone back to it since that first use. Perhaps I should.

The Gillette Black I really didnt like on first use, but liked it quite a lot on second use with a steeper angle. Smooth and sharp enough, but the BBS finish didnt last and the sharpness fell off quickly for me.

Polsilver is a great blade. If you like them, you'll like these, at around half the cost!

SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium

$14.99/200 I believe: Super-Max Super Blue Diamond TITANIUM

Top Bottom