What's new

Any ideas what this is?

So I never bothered to buy a bowl to hold my soap. I have been using a rubbermaid container. The top part is normal, but today I happened to look at the bottom of the container and noticed there are yellowish crystals formed at the bottom. Does anyone know what this is? Is the soap still safe to use? Should I go ahead and just buy a bowl to hold the soap in? The bottom part is also not exposed to air, since it does not fully fit into the container. Here is a link to the soap i'm using.

Amazon.com: Shaving Soap 4.0 OZ Refill Puck Made with All Natural Ingredients Creates Rich Lather for a Smooth Shave. Includes Shea Butter, Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil to Protect & Moisturize the Skin, Himalaya: Health & Personal Care

20170731_113546.jpg
20170731_113555.jpg
20170731_113616.jpg

I guess they aren't exactly crystals, more gel like. If the oil did separate, should I just throw it out and get a new one?

My Ogallala Bay Rum soap did the same thing, those little blobs even appeared on the top. I thought it was glycerin separating out from the soap.

I haven't tasted it. I just loosely cover it with the lid, it has been hot and humid for the last month, so maybe that had something to do with it as well.

Soapmakers will superfat their recipes to unsure that all the lye gets used up and there's no chance of having any harsh chemicals left. It could be any combination of those leftover fats, glycerin, or scent oils seeping out. Either way, it should be fine to continue using.

This happens from time to time when there is leftover moisture on the soap. Have had many soaps do this, especially glycerin based soaps, but it doesn't effect performance and it is safe to use. If I had to guess I would say its the fragrance oils but could be the glycerin as well.

Top Bottom