What's new

Cocktail v Mixed Drink

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
What's the difference between a cocktail and a mixed drink? Is there a difference?
Or is it like tomato/tomato or potato/potato?

I don't think there is a difference. To me, it's any alcoholic drink mixed with something else. However, some have expanded the definition to include beer, wine, and any other drink.

Given that gin and tonic frequently appears in cocktail books, I am inclined to say that there is no difference. If I remember correctly a cocktail is defined as a drink containing more than one ingredient which would seem to confirm these terms as pretty much interchangeable.

Toodle pip

martym

I always thought that a mixed drink was something like Jack and Coke
Rum and Coke

And

A cocktail was a concoction of ingredients like alcohol, juice, bitters, etc.

I am going to try an Old Fashioned one of these days.
Thanks

Ah yes, but a Cuba Libre will appear on almost all cocktail menus and is essentially rum and coke! Lynchburg lemonade = Jack Daniel's and lemonade. The main difference is usually that if you order a rum and coke it will cost a bit less than choosing Cuba Libre from the cocktail menu!

The Old Fashioned is one of my go-to cocktails. It takes a degree of patience and skill to mix well but once you master it then there is no going back. I believe that a gentleman should have a short list of cocktails which he can turn to when entertaining.

For me this list is:
Old Fashioned
Negroni
Dry Martini

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
A Cocktail is a Roosters long feathers. Oh wait never mind. :lol:

From Wikipedia:
A cocktail is a mixed drink typically made with a distilled beverage (such as, gin, brandy, vodka, whiskey, tequila, or rum) that is mixed with other ingredients. If beer is one of the ingredients, the drink is called a beer cocktail.

Cocktails contain one or more types of liqueur, juice, fruit, sauce, honey, milk or cream, spices, or other flavorings. Cocktails may vary in their ingredients from bartender to bartender, and from region to region. Two creations may have the same name but taste very different because of differences in how the drinks are prepared.

martym

Thank you!

Here it's really easy:

Bud Light
Chivas and Coke
They have to bring their own to my home because I won't drink either!
Ah yes, but a Cuba Libre will appear on almost all cocktail menus and is essentially rum and coke! Lynchburg lemonade = Jack Daniel's and lemonade. The main difference is usually that if you order a rum and coke it will cost a bit less than choosing Cuba Libre from the cocktail menu!

The Old Fashioned is one of my go-to cocktails. It takes a degree of patience and skill to mix well but once you master it then there is no going back. I believe that a gentleman should have a short list of cocktails which he can turn to when entertaining.

For me this list is:
Old Fashioned
Negroni
Dry Martini

I had heard (but this is just from a respected source) that a cocktail combines multiple liquors, while a mixed drink is a liquor with a mixer.

martym

I had heard (but this is just from a respected source) that a cocktail combines multiple liquors, while a mixed drink is a liquor with a mixer.

That right there is just what I always thought.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I always thought that a mixed drink was something like Jack and Coke
Rum and Coke

And

A cocktail was a concoction of ingredients like alcohol, juice, bitters, etc.

I am going to try an Old Fashioned one of these days.
Thanks
You've not had an Old Fashioned? I just started drinking them about 4 or 5 months ago. They are great.

martym

At the end of August I will be spending a weekend at the JW Marriot in San Antonio, Texas and there I shall have my 1st one!

Top Bottom