What's new

Beginning SE?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Alright gents, I have a decent collection of DE razors and have used straights and shavettes but I have never tried an SE. I'm curious what I'm missing. My question is where to start. Should I be looking for a GEM style razor? One of the Feather Artist Club types like the Razorock Hawk? What's a good place to start for a beginner in this area?

Thanks all,
Nick

Schick injector razors. Good place to start. Not real expensive. Great shavers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a nice mild to medium aggressive razor, go for a 1912 or a G type injector. If you want something with a little more bite I would go for a 1914 or an E type injector. If you like them on the mild side go for a G bar or I type injector.

Go with the General. The Hawk V2 is great as well , milder than the General and just as smooth. It may take a little work to get BBS but still a great razor.

If you like str8s, get a Micromatic OC and GEM SS PTFE blade. You should still be able to get a nice one for around $10 and you will not be disappointed!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I think if I do a GEM type I'll go straight for the Blackbird Sabre that's new to the market. Just really like the looks. Looking into some of these Injectors. Do they pretty much all work the same?

The RazoRock Black Hawk may be a no brained for the price.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Although I have been using DE razors for well over a half century I'm pretty new to the SE side of things. So far my favorites have been in somewhat most to not quite as nice order (all of these have been pleasant and efficient):

GEM (EverReady, GEM Jr) 1912
GEM Micromatic
RR Hawk
Colonial General

Unacceptable to unpleasant have been:
EverReady 1924
Ikon El Jefe

I think if I do a GEM type I'll go straight for the Blackbird Sabre that's new to the market. Just really like the looks. Looking into some of these Injectors. Do they pretty much all work the same?

The RazoRock Black Hawk may be a no brained for the price.
Injectors pretty much got more and more mild as the years went on. As, Bs, and Cs are all repeaters not injectors, the blade were stored on board. Ds were the first injectors and were only made for less than a year so they're pretty hard to come by. The Es are my favorite, but some say they are a little too much for them, but they are by no means monsters, especially if you're using a straight. They also have the bakelite handles which look and feel a little nicer than the plastic ones. Anything after an I has too long of a handle for my taste , but some guys really like them.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I am used to straights, but I don't find straights aggressive at all. DE blades generally come across as much more aggressive to me than a honed and stripped straight which is sharp, but very smooth and gentle to the skin compared to most DE blades. So, for example, a shavette with just about any blade will be rough by comparison. I tend to favor fairly gentle and mild razors.

I am used to straights, but I don't find straights aggressive at all. DE blades generally come across as much more aggressive to me than a honed and stripped straight which is sharp, but very smooth and gentle to the skin compared to most DE blades. So, for example, a shavette with just about any blade will be rough by comparison. I tend to favor fairly gentle and mild razors.
Then a Sabre,General or SS Hawk is right up your alley if your looking for modern se's. I only have one vintage se razor, Valet Auto Strop but have only used it a handful of times. It's decent, nothing like the three I've mentioned before. I agree, a finely honed and stroped wedge is sublime. Try corking the blade on a shavette, it'll take the edge and roughness off.

Here's a quote from a str8 user in another thread!

As someone who generally switches razor and even razor type on a daily basis (DE, SE, and straight/shavette) it's rare for a razor to grab my attention as much as the MMOC has this week. I think I skipped a day but the MMOC has been the razor I've used maybe 5 days in the last 7. It's just incredible.
I can feel a big razor sale coming on soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do like the look of the General in Brass! May have to try one.
It's a great razor. Excellent smoothness and efficiency. Plus it will take any AC style blade. And depending on which blade you use whether Feather, Schick or Kai, you get a different feeling shave out of each one. Almost adjustable like.

The GEM/Star/Ever-Ready 1912 is the absolute standard, and the perfect first SE. After enjoying that for a while, get a GEM MMOC, which is a bit more aggressive. Both are fantastic shavers! :thumbsup:
Use only GEM stainless blades.

So far, I've enjoyed using all the vintage GEM and Ever-Ready SEs I've acquired. ER 1912, GEM Jr., MMOC, Bullet Tip, Push Button, and G-Bar are all terrific. I haven't tried my ER 1924 yet.

I have 4 Schicks (an E, 2 Gs, and a L1), a PAL Injectomatic, and PAL Adjustable Injectomatic, but I haven't tried any of them yet. I'm looking forward to my injector blades arriving, so I can see what all the fuss is about!

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of the GEM/ER SEs, and I don't have an opinion yet, on the injector style razors. Good Luck!!

You want a Brass General.

It's reasonably priced.

It's available now.

It soon will no longer be available.

It's a great shaver.

Don't know if this helps you, but I just talked myself into buying a second one. :blush:

--Bob

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Out of concern for the lifetime of these razors... It seems that GEM blades only come from one source. How prevalent are these? I would hate for them to be discontinued should I find myself enjoying their use. Same with the Feather AC style. Not many makers and it would be a shame if Feather changed their design making a razor obsolete...

GEM blades are everywhere, I can get them at my local walgreens and rite aids. Most of the online shops carry them also, don't worry about not being able to find GEM blades.

Top Bottom