What's new

Made something new last night ... wife is going low carb ...

And I'm trying to encourage her (as an aside, I'm back to cycling again, so I don't want to go low carb because I can use an extra carb here and there -- that said, I'm down 9 pounds) ... anyway, she tagged me in a post on Facebook the other day with several low carb recipes using avocados.

Not sure what to call them -- baked/roasted avocados with chicken and bacon?

I started with some boneless/skinless chicken thighs. Browned them a bit and tossed them in the oven in the same pan (note ... these take NO time at all to cook -- probably didn't need to put them in the oven and could have just finished them on the stove)
A pound of thick cut bacon, cooked in a pan (only used half of the package - saved the unused for my wife)
Six Avocados, cut in half, pits removed.

After the chicken is cooked you chunk it up, and then cut up the bacon. Set the avocados in a baking dish, load up with chicken and bacon, and then I sprinkled a little shredded colby jack on top. Put them into the oven at 350 for 20 minutes.

These were MUCH better than I expected. Wasn't sure how the avocados would be after baking, but they weren't mushy at all (I bought them on the firmer side) ... about the only thing I'd do next time is salt and pepper the avocados before loading them up with the chicken and bacon. I sprinkled Cholula on mine and they were very tasty.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I eat low carbs as well and no sugar (vodka has no carbs and no sugar:biggrin:). Basically Keto. I feel much better on this type of diet. Breads and pastas always make me feel blah. Anyway here is a low carb recipe:

Mini-Quiches
6 whisked whole eggs
5 or 6 chopped sun dried tomatoes
3 or 4 ounces of cooked chopped breakfast sausage or regular sausage
5 or 6 spears of asparagus
big handful of baby spinach leaves
handful of grated cheese of your choice
S&P

Cook the asparagus and spinach first, the combine all of the ingredients together in a large bowl and mix until evenly distributed. Pour into muffin tins to the top and place in a 350 degrees oven until a toothpick is not wet.

We freeze them and my wife takes them to work for breakfast or lunch, scnack etc.

Sounds yummy ... thanks Doc.

Haven't embraced Keto myself ... but other cyclists I know online have and they claim they feel great.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Sounds yummy ... thanks Doc.

Haven't embraced Keto myself ... but other cyclists I know online have and they claim they feel great.
Last night it was spiral sliced zucchini topped with my homemade fresh from the garden tomato sauce and meatballs. Garnished with fresh garden basil and parm. Low carbs and kisses & smiles from the wife.

Top Bottom