What's new

Truefitt & Hill Sheffield Stainless DE

image.jpeg
Trying a newly purchased razor, the Truefitt & Hill Sheffield Stainless DE.

The handle is long, longer than the typical de razor. I haven't measured the length but the razor is equal in length to my Gillette Atra razor and longer than my Feather AS-D2.

The handle is a high polish finish, perhaps chrome plated, I'm uncertain. T&H site states the razor is all stainless including the head. I'd say that is true. Both handle and guard plate have some heft. The guard and top plate feel heavier than I remember the EJ/Muhle 89 being. Overall weight feels greater than a Feather AS-D2. The weight of the razor makes for an effortless shave.

The handle is slick and a high grip seems appropriate with wet fingers. I had no issues using the razor as such. Balance and in the hand feel are remarkable.

The blade exposure is very similar to the Feather AS-D2 but that is where the similarity ends. The blade gap is greater, perhaps 25 or 33 percent more. Most folks would consider this razor mid-pack for aggression. The weight, blade gap, and handle length make it a tad too much for me.

Cost. This is an expensive razor, there is no getting around that.

Value. Highly subjective. If you are a T&H fan, or want a made in England stainless razor this might just be the razor for you. Cartridge users who desire a high end handle for Mach III or Fusion would likely enjoy this one very much.

There is no cure for RAD. The best we can hope for is periods of remission.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
the head looks exactly like a Mühle r89

And I'll eat a bug if it's actually a stainless steel head. I remember reading they said it was chromed.

It looks great, congrats. Probably shaves like a dream.

And I'll eat a bug if it's actually a stainless steel head. I remember reading they said it was chromed.

I'd bet you're correct about the head, which is a shame because having to eat a bug would be rather funny.

The head does look like the Muhle. Feels heavier than I remember though.

I'll shave with it a time or two more but it's not my cup of tea. I may put the razor in a pass around box. Thinking about it.

+3! Looks like an EJ89 head from here! Still a great looking razor!

They claim the handle is stainless steel and the head is chromed steel. If that's true, it should attract a magnet very strongly, easy to check. Some plating will attract a magnet but not as much as a piece of steel.

Good idea. A magnet won't stick to the head but will drag the head across the counter. Tried the same idea on my Feather AS-D2. Same thing, magnet won't stick to the head but will drag it across the counter.

Used a weak refrigerator magnet; the only thing I had on hand.

Top Bottom