What's new

The Vintage Gillette Aristocrat

Graydog

Biblical Innards
What I have found in shaving with The 1934 vs the 1936 vs the British 15#
For My Face The 1936 is smoother and more comfortable shave between the 3
I did not like the #15 at all so I sold Her
The 1934 is Historic and is not far behind the 1936.
I like My 1936 a little more than My Timeless ,both are close and shave My face with Amazing results
I think that it is the History that gives the 1936 the edge For My Face.
11-20170401_150525.jpg
20170312_124802.jpg
IMG_6917.JPG

To be honest I had the toughest time with both of these. Neither were enjoyable for me for the longest time. I ended up trading the 34' for a Wade and Butcher straight. Since then I have learned that I need a fairly steep angle, handle pointing more towards the floor, to get a good shave. So unfortunately I can't fairly compare the two. But I will say from reading some other posts that I don't think there is a huge difference.
I initially had trouble getting a smooth comfortable shave from my '36. That was disappointing as 1936 is my birth year. But then I lowered the angle of the handle a few degrees and the comfort is much improved.

Here's one. Aristocrat B1. It had some green paint or ink on the case when I got it. A dab of Gel Gloss and a gentle rub polished it off with no damage to the gold print. Part of a sale sticker was on the lid lining. Plain cellophane tape repeatedly pressed on and slowly peeled off got most of it out. It all cleaned up very nicely.

2 questions for the experts: Is that a paper wrapped case? And can anyone tell me what blade case goes in the set?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Here's one. Aristocrat B1. It had some green paint or ink on the case when I got it. A dab of Gel Gloss and a gentle rub polished it off with no damage to the gold print. Part of a sale sticker was on the lid lining. Plain cellophane tape repeatedly pressed on and slowly peeled off got most of it out. It all cleaned up very nicely.

2 questions for the experts: Is that a paper wrapped case? And can anyone tell me what blade case goes in the set?
Beautiful !!!

I'm thinking this to be a late 1947 or early 48. Mr-razor places the box & blade holder in the 1946-7 production, but the knurling on the top of the handle suggests a 1948 Aristocrat even though this one does not have the notch post that was introduced in 1948.
compressed.JPG compressed 2.JPG
Apparently Gillette didn't dispose of their old inventory & retool on New Year's day.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
...the knurling on the top of the handle suggests a 1948 Aristocrat even though this one does not have the notch post that was introduced in 1948...

This has been found before, there are several members that have seen these, too. I'm still without one.
Is there the print about patent on the head? That's occasionally missing. Unfortunately a lot of attachments didn't make the forum software switch like they should have.
year of this aristocrat
Aristocratic Confusion?
Aristocrat mix and match?

This has been found before, there are several members that have seen these, too. I'm still without one.
Is there the print about patent on the head? That's occasionally missing. Unfortunately a lot of attachments didn't make the forum software switch like they should have.
year of this aristocrat
Aristocratic Confusion?
Aristocrat mix and match?
Thanks for the confirmation & links.
Inside the base plate is stamped "PAT. NOS. ON PACKAGE" & Regus Patoff's name is on the bottom.

I'm thinking this to be a late 1947 or early 48. Mr-razor places the box & blade holder in the 1946-7 production, but the knurling on the top of the handle suggests a 1948 Aristocrat even though this one does not have the notch post that was introduced in 1948.
View attachment 799588 View attachment 799590
Apparently Gillette didn't dispose of their old inventory & retool on New Year's day.
Yes, it looks like Gillette ran out of the 46-47 handles first during the change over.

great find! here is the instruction from this set:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks Achim! I will start looking for Brazilian made 20 pack of blades to go with the set. Anyone willing to give one up pm please.

There is a seam along the edge so I suspect the case covering is paper. Not sure though. It held up well to cleaning.

Also didn't realize this was a Monotech. So is my 1954 Z1 Brazilian Monotech "tech"nically an Aristocrat too? :)

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have a cased 1914 Old Type Bell handle Aristocrat hiding in a box somewhere in my closet. I'll try to find it and send pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck with pics, I will give you my address :001_tt1:

Top Bottom