What's new

Valet VC4...Up Close and Personal...The ABC Way...

@rabidus, try to find yourself a B1 or VB1. The beauty of these two is that they can take a standard GEM SE blade if you remove the spine (takes about 10 seconds). They're built better than the VCs, and they're easy to find fire about $10.

I use the VC4 on my face today and part of my head, the FHS blade just don't seem to last. It only had one face shave on it when I started. I can probably still use it on my face again, my head shaves eats blade.

Excellent BBS face shave keeping the extreme shallow angle.

Switched to the MMOC to finish my head shave, and the efficiency was clearly increased.

I might have a strop made since I can't flip the blade over.

I first tried my Valet VC4 about 6 weeks ago and didn't like it much.

Inspired by this thread, and thinking maybe it was a technique issue, I loaded up a fresh Feather FHS-5 this morning and shaved the left side of my face with the VC4 and the right side with my Fatboy, to do a comparison.

Using a much shallower angle, the first pass with the VC4 was comfortable, but rinsing after the first pass revealed that it didn't cut much. The Fatboy side was MUCH cleaner. Undaunted, I went on with the XTG pass. This was slightly better, but not much. Fatboy side destroyed the VC4.

VC4 side required 3 passes to get to CCS. I got two tiny weepers on the VC4 side versus zero on the Fatboy side.

Bottom line: To me there is no comparison. The Valet is a cool-looking razor, but as a shaver it's not very good. If the VC4 were the only non-cartridge shaver available, I would shave with an Atra and give up classic shaving altogether.

I'm glad somebody enjoys it, but I don't think it's a good shaver at all.

Inspired by this thread, and thinking maybe it was a technique issue, I loaded up a fresh Feather FHS-5 this morning and shaved the left side of my face with the VC4 and the right side with my Fatboy, to do a comparison.

Using a much shallower angle, the first pass with the VC4 was comfortable, but rinsing after the first pass revealed that it didn't cut much. The Fatboy side was MUCH cleaner. Undaunted, I went on with the XTG pass. This was slightly better, but not much. Fatboy side destroyed the VC4.

VC4 side required 3 passes to get to CCS. I got two tiny weepers on the VC4 side versus zero on the Fatboy side.

Bottom line: To me there is no comparison. The Valet is a cool-looking razor, but as a shaver it's not very good. If the VC4 were the only non-cartridge shaver available, I would shave with an Atra and give up classic shaving altogether.

I'm glad somebody enjoys it, but I don't think it's a good shaver at all.

Thanks for the review!

If you don't already know this about me, I'm a BBS freak, must have it! My razor doesn't stop until I hit BBS. It takes me multiple strokes to BBS every area of my face and head. Every razor I use will get me to BBS, some faster than others. .

I only apply lather twice.

For my first lather application, I shave WTG until I no longer feel any resistance of hear any feedback. I apply lather a second time and shave ATG and XTG until I am completely smooth in all directions. Some areas of my face needs more attention than others, I give each area the attention it needs, no more, no less.

All razors will get me to BBS, I rate a razor on how fast it gets me there and if it tears up my face in do so.

There's no way I could ever take place in any side by side test for results, the end result is always the same, BBS!

My prep and Technique allows me to hit BBS comfortably daily with many razors, some take more work than others.

My technique is the same for my face and head shaves. My skin is pretty soft and I rarely bleed.

We must differ with technique, because I'm DFS after the first pass with any razor and BBS after the second!

It took me about 2 years to like the AutoStrop. My personal opinion is that ANY razor should be able to give anyone a decent shave. I'm stubborn, and when I hate a razor, I try not to struggle with it. I just put it away and pick it up again in a month or two. Almost always, one day it just clicks.
Using a much shallower angle, the first pass with the VC4 was comfortable, but rinsing after the first pass revealed that it didn't cut much.
Now, I've never tried anything later than a VB1, but my notes say my first shave with a B1 was my worst shave in 25 years.

Now it's tied with the ER 1914 as my favorite SE razor, beating out the Damaskeenes and Streamline. What happened? Steep angle shaving. To me, steeper makes every razor better, but with this one, when more so.

It took me about 2 years to like the AutoStrop. My personal opinion is that ANY razor should be able to give anyone a decent shave. I'm stubborn, and when I hate a razor, I try not to struggle with it. I just put it away and pick it up again in a month or two. Almost always, one day it just clicks.
Now, I've never tried anything later than a VB1, but my notes say my first shave with a B1 was my worst shave in 25 years.

Now it's tied with the ER 1914 as my favorite SE razor, beating out the Damaskeenes and Streamline. What happened? Steep angle shaving. To me, steeper makes every razor better, but with this one, when more so.
I think I went so steep that the blade wasn't reaching the base of the hairs.

And I don't think the FHS-10 is quite as sharp as the GEM SS blade after today's shave.
I haven't tried the Gem blades yet.

The Feather SS blades really worked well in my VC-1.
I haven't tried the Feather Seikan blades either.
I paid $ .629 US a blade for the Gem's.
For the Feather Seikan's and the Feather FHS 10's $ .895 US each.
That's a difference of $ .266 a blade.

I hope I can get the spine off the blades so I can try them out in the VC-1.
Just putting a blade into the VC-1 is a concerned for me because of how tight they fit.
I can of course use the Gem's just like they are in my Gem razor so no worry using them in the Gem's.
Even the blades fitting in my 3 piece DE razors are a concern for me.
The Gillette TTO's I got are ok.
I have a Fatboy somewhere around here that I've had for quite a few years.
I tried shaving with it on 9 the one time I tried to shave with it because someone told me that was the mild setting.
I gave up on using anything but the Gillette carts after that.

All the blades are scary to me except for my TTO's.
The only one that is not a concern so far is my Schick G.
I do have a ER flip top razor someone is sending me.
I think that might be a winner.
I was also looking at the Lather Catchers but because some of them use wedge blades, I've stayed away from them.
The ER mini Lather catcher might do.
The Ikon El Jefe and my RazoRock Hawk are destine for the bay or Craig's.
I find them difficult to load too.

The only problem with the VC-1 so far is the handle and actually it's not a deal breaker.
I am looking to end up with a Single Edge razor as I prefer the stiffness of the blades and blades I can afford.
The stropper is to help cut down on the price of use for each blade.
So a SE razor that's easy for me to load with my shaky hands, a handle large enough for me to hold and blades that don't cost an arm and a leg.
Is that too much to ask for?

After all I can find blades for my DE razors that I like and cost less than $ .33 a piece that I can use one time and toss.
The handles are the reason that I was using three piece razors and not my TTO's.
I actually was getting at least 5 shaves or more with the DE blades.
If this becomes too complicated I will go back to them.

All of this came about because the replacement carts for my Gillette Fusion cost too much.
I never really meant for it to become a hobby.
I sure have really learned a lot on this journey.
I have found a great community that has really wonderful people that I never knew existed.
What a wonderful journey in deed.

Talk about timing.
There's a lot of info here.
Is mine a stainless steel or some type of coating?
It looks like it's SS to me.
I really did not have to clean it just sanitize.
I am glad I lucked out with my VC-1 or at least I think that is what it is.

I can't believe it.
I just rubbed my face and it's still nice.

Is no one stropping their blades?
My Valet and strop work great on the Feather SS blade.
I read somewhere to strop a DE blade twenty times in one direction and twenty times the other way.
I only stropped the Feather 10 times total.
Wednesday I will do it twenty times.
Like I said I am going to use the blade till I don't like the shave I am getting from it after stropping.

I found the adjustment by surprise.
It just did not look right for shaving so I played with it until it did.
I have it as tight as I can get it.

I just loaded the blade back in to the razor to take a picture.
I definitely do not like loading and unloading it.
Really scary stuff for me.
Oh and it's staying in there until I strop it Wednesday.... what you thought I was going to shave on the 4th????

img_2929.jpg

img_2930.jpg

img_2932.jpg

I haven't tried the Gem blades yet.

The Feather SS blades really worked well in my VC-1.
I haven't tried the Feather Seikan blades either.
I paid $ .629 US a blade for the Gem's.
For the Feather Seikan's and the Feather FHS 10's $ .895 US each.
That's a difference of $ .266 a blade.

I hope I can get the spine off the blades so I can try them out in the VC-1.
Just putting a blade into the VC-1 is a concerned for me because of how tight they fit.
I can of course use the Gem's just like they are in my Gem razor so no worry using them in the Gem's.
Even the blades fitting in my 3 piece DE razors are a concern for me.
The Gillette TTO's I got are ok.
I have a Fatboy somewhere around here that I've had for quite a few years.
I tried shaving with it on 9 the one time I tried to shave with it because someone told me that was the mild setting.
I gave up on using anything but the Gillette carts after that.

All the blades are scary to me except for my TTO's.
The only one that is not a concern so far is my Schick G.
I do have a ER flip top razor someone is sending me.
I think that might be a winner.
I was also looking at the Lather Catchers but because some of them use wedge blades, I've stayed away from them.
The ER mini Lather catcher might do.
The Ikon El Jefe and my RazoRock Hawk are destine for the bay or Craig's.
I find them difficult to load too.

The only problem with the VC-1 so far is the handle and actually it's not a deal breaker.
I am looking to end up with a Single Edge razor as I prefer the stiffness of the blades and blades I can afford.
The stropper is to help cut down on the price of use for each blade.
So a SE razor that's easy for me to load with my shaky hands, a handle large enough for me to hold and blades that don't cost an arm and a leg.
Is that too much to ask for?

After all I can find blades for my DE razors that I like and cost less than $ .33 a piece that I can use one time and toss.
The handles are the reason that I was using three piece razors and not my TTO's.
I actually was getting at least 5 shaves or more with the DE blades.
If this becomes too complicated I will go back to them.

All of this came about because the replacement carts for my Gillette Fusion cost too much.
I never really meant for it to become a hobby.
I sure have really learned a lot on this journey.
I have found a great community that has really wonderful people that I never knew existed.
What a wonderful journey in deed.

My GEM SS PTFE blades cost $.15 a blade from England. Removing the spine is pretty easy. A pair of pliers worked great. There are a couple YouTube how-to videos.

I received my VC1 today, will use in the morning with either a GEM or Feather FHS blade, both fit fine. Had to figure out how to load it, I was looking for a door.

My GEM SS PTFE blades cost $.15 a blade from England. Removing the spine is pretty easy. A pair of pliers worked great. There are a couple YouTube how-to videos.

Wow Where are you getting them for that Price?
How much for shipping and how many do you have to buy at that price?
How long do you have to wait to get them?

I've seen the YouTube videos on how to do it.
Rather easy it seems.
The problem is my hands shaking.

I received my VC1 today, will use in the morning with either a GEM or Feather FHS blade, both fit fine. Had to figure out how to load it, I was looking for a door.

Hey that's great.
You can do a comparison between the two.
If I had not seen a video of someone loading one I probably would still be trying to figure it out.

Wow Where are you getting them for that Price?
How much for shipping and how many do you have to buy at that price?
How long do you have to wait to get them?

I've seen the YouTube videos on how to do it.
Rather easy it seems.
The problem is my hands shaking.

Hey that's great.
You can do a comparison between the two.
If I had not seen a video of someone loading one I probably would still be trying to figure it out.

GEM by Personna Stainless Coated Single Edge Razor Blades

I bought 400 because I wanted that many, the price is excellent no matter how many you buy!

Took 10 days to receive to the US.

I thought it was broke at first but kept examining it and saw that the blade slid into place.

The GEM blades I bought from the link above came individually wrapped. The GEM blade can be de-spines without unwrapping it. The GEM may be able to be loaded with the wrapper on also. There's a thick wrapper that doesn't cover the spine.

Unless I buy it in large amounts it will cost me more.
There is a medical company that sells them here in the states if I decide to go that route.

@captnronfl

It was extremely safe to de-spine and load the GEM with the wrapper on!

I found it easy to grab one end of the GEM spine with a pair of pliers and bend it back and forth, took 2 or 3 rocks and it slid right out. Loading the blade with the wrapper on was easy and safe as well. If you notice, you can see where I grabbed the spine with the pliers on the right!

IMAG0254_1.jpg
IMAG0253_1.jpg

Very kool
Only mine are in a dispenser.
You can bet I am very careful though.
I took a little piece of the top of my fingernail off with the Feather.
Hey that looks like mine.
Well except it looks like yours has a bend in the blade stop
Is it stainless steel?
100 blades?
I saw that...
I just punch it through to see how much it was
I've never thought that far ahead in my life.... ROFLMAO

Last edited:
Top Bottom