What's new

Any barbell lifters? Starting Strength (Rippetoe)

I'm planning to do Starting Strength. I did a quick search of this forum and saw a couple people do variations on that (e.g. @jjking54). Reviews? Advice? Did you get have a coach?

I'd like to set up a gym at home, but need to figure out the best spot for it. In the meantime, I was going to look for a gym membership. Unfortunately, it is hard to find one with the right equipment. The crossfit gyms have it, but they only want you to come there and take crossfit classes from them.

surely there is a local gym with a squat rack, no? basics are usually easy to find, but most commercial gyms won't have the specialty stuff. If you want to do it at home, you can get started relatively cheap, get a good bar. Weight you can get at garage sales, or craigs list.
I do both, I go to the gym, and have a small home gym.
I've done a few different programs, I did 5 3 1, I did smoloff, don't know much about starting strength.

Anyway enjoy, Its great, I love lifting.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I just learned something at this forum. If you want to get stronger, lift those weights which the Russians lift.

They are called Kettle Bells. I believe it was @Doc4 who told us about them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I just learned something at this forum. If you want to get stronger, lift those weights which the Russians lift.

They are called Kettle Bells. I believe it was @Doc4 who told us about them.

Here's some information about that!

No coach, no spotter so I had to do a variation on the lifts with machines instead.

I loved it ... haven't been doing it lately because I'm currently without a gym, but the core lifts definitely are a great way to get started.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm really good at lifting barbells. It's when I start adding plates to them that I run into trouble.

Any half decent gym should have at least a power rack. That and a bench are all you need for starting strength along with the actual bar and plates.

No need for a spotter or coach just use common sense and don't push it too much. I managed to get my squat to about 150kg and my deadlift to 200kg with the programme. Now a days I don't really care for strength anymore and train in more of a bodybuilding fashion.

I am interested in it but I have been on such an extended cutting diet (8 months of strict caloric restriction and counting) that I feel it probably wouldn't do me a whole lot of good at this point.

If I ever get my weight down to where I want to be and can increase my calories enough to gain some muscle, I may give one of these progressive loading plans a try.

1392844457069.jpg

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I am interested in it but I have been on such an extended cutting diet (8 months of strict caloric restriction and counting) that I feel it probably wouldn't do me a whole lot of good at this point.

If I ever get my weight down to where I want to be and can increase my calories enough to gain some muscle, I may give one of these progressive loading plans a try.

Have you considered adding weight training and adjusting your caloric intake to adjust for the extra expenditure? While I personally don't do it, (yet) Flexible Dieting has become a very in thing right now, and from what I have seen from those that adhere to it it works.

Have you considered adding weight training and adjusting your caloric intake to adjust for the extra expenditure? While I personally don't do it, (yet) Flexible Dieting has become a very in thing right now, and from what I have seen from those that adhere to it it works.

I am already doing a couple of basic whole body lifting routines, and will bump up my calories if I can get another thirty pounds of weight off. Assuming, that is, my doctors are ok with bumping up my protein - I have had a number of medical issues this year that may impact whether I can go on a proper bulking diet.

The light is at the end of the tunnel for me, only another thirty pounds to go. Hopefully, if my health holds out, I will be there by Fall and can start gaining muscle to fill up some loose skin.

I did it but lost patience . I've been doing John meadows style routines that are intense as hell and strength has gone up a good amount while loosing about 10 pounds in a 7 week period. I am going to continue to do the meadows methods.

I don't use any method. But instead of paying for the gym, I got a simple barbell from Amazoon and I do a couple sets of curls, tricep extensions and overhead presses after every time I go out jogging. I'm no Adonis now, but my biceps feel like they are there now, as opposed to a couple months ago when I first started. Feels good, and cost only about what 1 month at the gym would cost.

Just pay for the gym. It's worth it if you go often enough, and if cash is that tight , sacrifice something else for your health.

I tried the home gym method once. I found myself watching tv and saying "I'll workout after this show...oh, what's this? I haven't watched this in forever. I'll workout after this show" but you may have more discipline than me. I now go to Powerhouse Gym in my area. I find it's good motivation when I see this huge ripped guys and I'm in there with my beer gut. But, you have to start somewhere. I use Jim Stoppani's workout apps as a guide. I used to workout pretty heavy up until about 5 years ago so now I'm just getting back into it. Good luck!

I've done the gym route many times in the past, and have enjoyed it. There is a certain motivation that going to the gym creates.
But, as I said above, I have enough will power to go for a run 3 times a week and pair that with an at home barbell, and I'm quite happy with the $0 a month
results so far.

Just pay for the gym. It's worth it if you go often enough, and if cash is that tight , sacrifice something else for your health.
Agree.

specially since most gyms are now only $10/month. And some of them are 24hr gyms too. And no, im not talking about planet fitness (no squat racks or barbells for bench press, that's ridiculous).

Top Bottom