What's new

How does the Merkur 34c compare to the Lord L6 (LP1822L or L125)?

My Lord Fresh L125 is my smoothest, most maneuverable razor. I recently got the QShave Futur clone and get the same efficiency at a setting of 4.5 that I get from the L6. How this happens I have no idea. So I got to wondering how the L6 compares to the razor it copied, the 34C.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The Merkur will likely feel more solid and well-built. Mine is smooth and mild (less aggressive than my Progress on 4.5). I'm not too sure how you say it copied a two piece razor and then ended up with a skinnier, longer handled three piece.

If you get a chance, try the head that so many others copy.

I got got both, the head geometry is similar, but the build quality is just mehhh compared to the merkur.

That being said the l6 shaves the best of the teo imho. It s a tad milder but above the muhle r89.

The handle of the l6 is crap, too light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not too sure how you say it copied a two piece razor and then ended up with a skinnier, longer handled three piece.

You're right, I should have said 23C. I was thinking more of the Merkur closed comb head and defaulted to 34C.

If you get a chance, try the head that so many others copy.

Do you mean the DE89/R89 head? I have a RazoRock Protege with Muhle sourced head before they switched to a clone. It shaves OK but the L6 is smoother, more efficient, and milder for me.

The handle of the l6 is crap, too light.

I tried the L6 head on the RazoRock SE stainless handle that came with the Protege. It changed the feel a bit but I preferred how it felt with the lighter aluminum handle.

I'm wondering if there's a razor like the L6 that retains the handle length and weight but that's got a better/sturdier build quality.

I was under the impression that Merkur only has 3 current CC head designs for non-slants. The one on the Progress, the one on the Futur and the one the rest of their line-up shares, i. e. the one the 23C/34C/... have

No. I meant the German Merkur head. If you'd like to try one (23C head) I would be willing to send one for a test drive, just PM me.

Thanks for the generous offer. Instead of paying shipping to borrow and return it, I'll just invest in getting one from amazon for $25. I've never owned a Merkur and this seems like a good time. :001_302:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Thanks for the generous offer. Instead of paying shipping to borrow and return it ...

I always pay shipping to a member on a loan. :001_smile
But for what they (23C) are on Amazon, get one. You'd probably be happier with a 34C, though.

Top Bottom