What's new

Need Help Identifying a Vintage Safety Razor

I found this raor among my late father's things. It was with the vintage Super Speed from 1957.

I cleaned it up a little and snapped some photos last night (I've been menaing to post this for some time).

So, does anyone know when this would have been manufactured? I'm also thinking it might need to be replated.

IMG_20170621_212418.jpg

IMG_20170621_212433.jpg

IMG_20170621_212449.jpg

IMG_20170621_212708.jpg

IMG_20170621_212741.jpg

Based on tha answer "Single ring Old type," I found a thread on B&B:

Ball end old type Vs. Single Ring

This image shows the case. The case of the upper left looks very similar to the one tht I ofund with the razro. Although, the inside is very worn and no longer cantains any labeling/writing:

proxy.php

So, I'm assuming this thing may be so old as to have been used by my grandfather?

Addtionally, is this plating worn off or a build up tht needs ot be cleaned off? Meaning, based on what I see in other photos, was it originally silver or a brass-like or gold plated?

R

romsitsa

Post 1921 Ball end (no date code on comb and no patent on handle), judging from the bottom of the comb, nickel plated. Nice one. If the handle has no crack, feel yourself very-very lucky.

Adam

Post 1921 Ball end (no date code on comb and no patent on handle), judging from the bottom of the comb, nickel plated. Nice one. If the handle has no crack, feel yourself very-very lucky.

Adam

Thank you, Adam.:)

AFAICS, the handle has no crack. It looks intact. I'll give it a closer look. But, nothing jumped out.:)

I cleaned it with some Anti-Bacterial soap. I light scrubbing and a bit of a soaking for twenty minutes or so. A good rinse and then a one minute light scrub with foam scrubbing bubbles. Followed with a very good, thorough rinse. I dried it with a soft towel and set it aside to continue to air dry .:)

I'm assuming this razor can be used.

Again, since my father was born in 1922, I'm assuming this probably belonged to his father. The razor probably got handed down to dad. If so, how cool is that???

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Very cool. Most of my razors are hand-me-down and some going back before WWI so I am at least the third generation using them.

'21~'28 ball-end OLD type, it's beautiful!!! :thumbup: It's what we call a thick cap OLD, it's what I refer to as the best razor ever made!
It's nickel plated, and I would leave it as it is, that's honest wear that was put there from your father's, and your grandfather's hands. Put an Astra SS in it and shave my friend, you may need to manually adjust the blade a little using the alignment tabs on the blade that stick out on the ends.

Don't grab that bent tooth and try to straighten it, or you won't have a tooth anymore, that tooth will have no negative effect on the wonderful shaves that razor has in store for you!

It's nickel plated, and I would leave it as it is, that's honest wear that was put there from your father's, and your grandfather's hands. Put an Astra SS in it and shave my friend, you may need to manually adjust the blade a little using the alignment tabs on the blade that stick out on the ends.

I will! Thank you!:)

Don't grab that bent tooth and try to straighten it, or you won't have a tooth anymore, that tooth will have no negative effect on the wonderful shaves that razor has in store for you!

I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. Now that I see it, I will leave it as is. Thank you again.:)

Pop was a Tool & Die Maker for over 50 years. If anyone could bend back that tooth without breaking it, it would be him. He once took out a crease on a fender in my car by hand. He just knew his metals.

I'm thinking it's genetic. If I were to take a crack at it, I might be successful. Then again...:) Leave well enough alone. Besides, the bend really isn't that bad. I hadn't noticed it until it was pointed out.:)

Yes. I agree.:) This comment has convinced me.:) the tooth was bent by father or grandfaher. All the more special.:)
If it is bent sideways you should be ok. If it is bent down the blade corner will have more exposure so be careful with that corner when shaving. I have nicked myself quite a few times with razors that have bent down corner teeth.

If it is bent sideways you should be ok. If it is bent down the blade corner will have more exposure so be careful with that corner when shaving. I have nicked myself quite a few times with razors that have bent down corner teeth.

Thanks for this.:) I just gave it a good close look and it's a sideways bend. Actually, not a bad bend at all. All the teeth are still aligned across.:) The one bent tooth is not lower or higher than the others. It's just a bit closer.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom