What's new

What happened in 1980?

I have been looking through old photo albums recently and noticed that pre 1980 everyone in the photos were thin. And not starving themselves thin...just slim. And since 1980 it seems that with each passing year people in the photos started getting heavier (especially me). And now today it seems the whole western world is being overtaken by obesity. What has led to this social change? Food availability?, fast food joints? Alien bacteria leading to obesity? As kids we ate all kinds of junky food but we were thin as rakes. I feel bad for the kids of today. What happened post 1980?

Fast food cheaper, then real food and is advertised as being cooler..Now days, if you not fat there's something wrong with you..If you look at me I'm not fat, but by bmi I'm overweight.Me and my family were eating a place and we wonted water..The lady behind the counter said, we where cheap for not wonting a soft drink...My mom could have kill her, I goto buy at coop and guy gives me talk how he hates people who buy there food there, not and rise like he did..I said to myself no wonder, you're sales are down 20%..

Last edited:
Xbox...Playstation...potatoes considered vegetables...over consumption of sugar...fast food is a mainstay of cuisine...8,972 television channels...lack of parental upbringing...more Phys Ed classes in school tossed to the wayside...lack of child creativity...everything can be fixed with a pill instead of diet and exercise...work is now sitting in front of a computer for eight to ten hours a day...and so much more...

And believe me...almost all of this applies to me. That is why I can stand to lose about 75 pounds.

Sugar and empty carbs. Also campaign against fat in foods, substituted with more sugar (think cereals, whole grain snacks etc.)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sugar and empty carbs. Also campaign against fat in foods, substituted with more sugar (think cereals, whole grain snacks etc.)
If memory serves, 1980 was the year that the USFDA came out with their new "fat is bad, cholesterol is bad, carbs are good" food guidelines... and that really messed people up.

Snack makers discovered that we have an enormous desire for fat, sugar, and salt, so they went wild, as did we. The sociopolitical reasons are interesting, but not for this forum.

If memory serves, 1980 was the year that the USFDA came out with their new "fat is bad, cholesterol is bad, carbs are good" food guidelines... and that really messed people up.
Yup, that was it. It's a bit a turnaround today, as gluten free and carb free are today's major selling points.

The average weight has gone up in Sweden (Northern Europe) since 1980, but compared to the average American the average Swede is very slim indeed. What makes the weight gain problematic is that it has a social bias. A study made three years ago among children aged 7-12 years in Stockholm (the capital of Sweden) revealed that more than one out of three children in low income areas with a low education level had a BMI higher than 30. In the wealthier areas of Stockholm it was seven percent.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yep
I was only three at the time but it seems around the time that VCRs and microwaves came out.
Microwaves had been out for a while, but they became more affordable around that time. Crap food and sitting in front of the rectangle of stupidity are a bad combo.

Portion sizes have blown up and become disgustingly oversized, the selling point became all about size, bigger has to be better, what year that was i don't know.

dave

The average weight has gone up in Sweden (Northern Europe) since 1980, but compared to the average American the average Swede is very slim indeed. What makes the weight gain problematic is that it has a social bias. A study made three years ago among children aged 7-12 years in Stockholm (the capital of Sweden) revealed that more than one out of three children in low income areas with a low education level had a BMI higher than 30. In the wealthier areas of Stockholm it was seven percent.

Doesn't surprise me. Cheap food is extremely fattening food. Once upon a time obesity was a sign of wealth. Now it is a sign of relative poverty.

Top Bottom