What's new

Master bay rum opinions

Hi Guys

It's been awhile since I've posted i know. I've lurked a bit here and there though.

So my bottle of Master bay rum is nearing it's end and I want to replace it.

My first question is this, is it still the same nice AS as it was? I bought mine maybe 3 years ago now and I remember reading around that time that it had changed for the worse but I liked the one I had since I didn't have the old one to compare it to.
I think it was that they had removed the glycerin which is the same as the one I have.

The second question is can I get this online from a Canadian site? I got my first one from Sally's but I would like to support any Canadian online source if there is one these days.

The third question would be is there any other bay rum I should try. This is what I've tried so far in order of fondness.

Master bay rum - Liked very much
Captain's choice bay rum - Liked very much
Kramperts bay rum - Liked somewhat but scent didn't last
Pinaud Virgin Island bay rum - Oddly I didn't like this one at all. No bay scent whatsoever.

Thanks for any input. :)

I love cheap barbershop bay rums! I enjoy Master, though I don't like the caramel undertone I pick up from it. Its also a little sticky. The goods outweigh these little flaws however. I also like Gabel's and my fave cheapie, which is Stephan. Got a great scent and face feel, but the scent doesn't last much more than an hour. That makes it perfect for the office. The most unique cheapie is Canadian Booster. Its a bay rum scent, but its unlike any other I have tried. Very clean and light for a bay rum, which tend to be heavy scents. Sorry I can't help you to find a Canadian retailer.

I order most of my stuff through fendrihans in Canada. They have a good selection and service but I don't think they carry it. Classicedge.ca is another Canadian retailer I have had good service with.
Fendrihans does carry the Captains line though since you said you liked Captains bay rum. I just ordered that and North from them 2 days ago.

Thanks for the replies guys. Each response has some info that I didn't know about. I didn't know about Classicedge.ca and I had never heard of bootleggers so I'll have to look into that. And while I have heard of boosters I never really thought about getting the bayrum but is worth looking into as well. I have the boosters mosswood scent and it's a good quality.

I've had my bottle over 5 years. Still enjoy it. I've never heard anyone talk of Masters' scents going through any kind of reformulation. I can't imagine there's much they could do to change them as they're all not very complex. Removing glycerin though? that's bad news if true :(

Superior 70, another component of the Bootlegger's home brew, is a pleasure on its own.
I have a feeling that it's hard to come by in Canada, though.

I've never tried Master's. Captains Choice is very nice. I think Ogallala gets a fair amount of love on B&B too. Pinaud is frequently cited as being to "clovey." There used to be a sticky for a BIG write up/throw down on bay rum aftershaves, but I can't find it at the moment.

I bought some Masters 5-6 years ago and found it sticky. I probably still have a 3/4 full, dusty bottle in the back of a closet along with Clubman VIBR that never gets used. I bought them for Bootleggers. Bootleggers was ok, but I haven't made any in years. My primary aftershave is still Captains Choice (4 scents) followed by Ogallala (when I need a clove fix). #3 would be Kramperts BR or Frostbite (as a bay rum fan I was surprised that I like the frostbite better). Superior70 gets used by itself only a couple times a year.

The third question would be is there any other bay rum I should try. This is what I've tried so far in order of fondness.

Master bay rum - Liked very much
Captain's choice bay rum - Liked very much
Kramperts bay rum - Liked somewhat but scent didn't last
Pinaud Virgin Island bay rum - Oddly I didn't like this one at all. No bay scent whatsoever.

Any of the Ogallala group of bay rums. My favorite is the Lime and Peppercorns. That scent lasts for hours! He has a double strength cologne version of his plain bay rum. I'd like to see him issue one in the Limes and Peppercorns scent.

[
Superior 70, another component of the Bootlegger's home brew, is a pleasure on its own. I have a feeling that it's hard to come by in Canada, though.

It wasn't easy for me to find Superior 70 in NYC, either! I'd like to find the menthol version. I finally found the former in a large supermarket chain and there's no way I would pay the 200% markup some want on Amazon for the latter.

I bought some Masters 5-6 years ago and found it sticky. I probably still have a 3/4 full, dusty bottle in the back of a closet along with Clubman VIBR that never gets used. I bought them for Bootleggers. Bootleggers was ok, but I haven't made any in years. My primary aftershave is still Captains Choice (4 scents) followed by Ogallala (when I need a clove fix). #3 would be Kramperts BR or Frostbite (as a bay rum fan I was surprised that I like the frostbite better). Superior70 gets used by itself only a couple times a year.

As previously stated, my primary rum is Ogallala's Limes and Peppercorns. My 2nd is Clubman VIBR and 3rd is Ogallala plain bay rum. 4th is Captain's Choice because I find it to be too weak in terms of a good burn after a shave.

For that reason the Bootlegger's bay rum homebrew is appealing because the combo of Superior 70 and Clubman VIBR (with the weaker Master's bay rum) has got to be strong stuff in terms of the post shave burn, but Clubman VIBR's scent only lasts about an hour for me - maybe 90 minutes. Wouldn't mixing that with the weaker scents of Superior 70 and Master's dilute the scent strength of the bay rum even more?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Any of the Ogallala group of bay rums. My favorite is the Lime and Peppercorns. That scent lasts for hours! He has a double strength cologne version of his plain bay rum. I'd like to see him issue one in the Limes and Peppercorns scent.

[

It wasn't easy for me to find Superior 70 in NYC, either! I'd like to find the menthol version. I finally found the former in a large supermarket chain and there's no way I would pay the 200% markup some want on Amazon for the latter.

As previously stated, my primary rum is Ogallala's Limes and Peppercorns. My 2nd is Clubman VIBR and 3rd is Ogallala plain bay rum. 4th is Captain's Choice because I find it to be too weak in terms of a good burn after a shave.

For that reason the Bootlegger's bay rum homebrew is appealing because the combo of Superior 70 and Clubman VIBR (with the weaker Master's bay rum) has got to be strong stuff in terms of the post shave burn, but Clubman VIBR's scent only lasts about an hour for me - maybe 90 minutes. Wouldn't mixing that with the weaker scents of Superior 70 and Master's dilute the scent strength of the bay rum even more?

On the contrary. It creates a richer mix. In my experience, richer makes for better longevity. While aftershaves should not be considered to match the longevity of colognes or EdT's, bay rums in particular, are traditionally known to be very fleeting in the scent longevity department.

Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum has long enjoyed a reputation from many reviewers for excellent longevity and staying power, especially for being a very easily made and reasonably priced bay rum.

Personal expectations notwithstanding. :)

Last edited:
Captain's Choice Cat o' Nine Tails (Co9T). Stronger scent better burn the CC Bay Rum. Lasts longer, too.

I bought Master Bay Rum about five years ago. It left my skin tacky, like contact cement. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I've never regretted dumping it; there are so many others that don't give my skin that feel.

Captain's Choice Cat o' Nine Tails (Co9T).
+1 on the Co9T. Your original post said you liked regular Captain "very much." If that is the case you will love Co9T. Almost identical scent to Captain's original, but a bit stronger and lasts a while longer. Also gives more burn, but I still wouldn't call it extreme. I think it is just right. I also love the way my skin feels after using it. It is like I used a moisturizer, which I never do right after my shave.

+1 on the Co9T. Your original post said you liked regular Captain "very much." If that is the case you will love Co9T. Almost identical scent to Captain's original, but a bit stronger and lasts a while longer. Also gives more burn, but I still wouldn't call it extreme. I think it is just right. I also love the way my skin feels after using it. It is like I used a moisturizer, which I never do right after my shave.

CC aftershave splashes are perfect for my skin, too. The are the standard againnst which I judges all other AS. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom