What's new

Thoughts and opinions

Hey guys. So I've got a 1896 kampfe lather catcher that needs all of the blades sharpening. Professionally its an expensive endeavour and I am not fully confident i can do it properly yet and stones aren't cheap. I was wondering if people would recommend buying a DE for the time being or trying lapping film with no prior experience? I've been looking at the feather popular DE as it's relatively inexpensive and seems to have favourable reviews. I was hoping someone could give me opinions and such to guide me in the right direction.
Cheers.
Josh

Always good to have a modern DE backup. I've read great things about the Feather popular but have no experience of it. Still, you might also consider something of a more robust construction from Maggard, or WCS, or... ? for similarly equal dollars spent.

Always good to have a modern DE backup. I've read great things about the Feather popular but have no experience of it. Still, you might also consider something of a more robust construction from Maggard, or WCS, or... ? for similarly equal dollars spent.

I am in talks trying to trade my lather catcher for a gem 1912 as I have heard very good things and blades are readily available. Hoping i can do the swap.

The GEM SE razor is nice one to have in your rotation. I have at least half a dozen SE razors and would not part with a single one.

For blades get PTFE coated ones. They come in cartons of 100 and are da bomb!!!

The GEM SE razor is nice one to have in your rotation. I have at least half a dozen SE razors and would not part with a single one.

For blades get PTFE coated ones. They come in cartons of 100 and are da bomb!!!
Thanks for the recommendation. I will look for them.

Top Bottom