What's new

Blue Magic, Flitz, Maas

I just got a gold New Type for nickles & dimes that needed a serious cleaning. Since I need razor learning, it seemed a good investment.

After Scrubbing Bubbles & cleaning with Dawn in an ultrasound, I tried "Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream" only to discover it contained silicone. While I might appreciate this protective coating for an automotive application, I didn’t see the advantage of silicone on my Gillette, on my hands, & keyboard.

Question-- Are Flitz & Maas soluble in soap & water?

Don't use polish on a gold gillette. The plating is more of a thin wash.
They make some special cloths for gold razors. Other than that, just stick with soap and water.

Don't use polish on a gold gillette. The plating is more of a thin wash.
They make some special cloths for gold razors. Other than that, just stick with soap and water.
This, unless the gold plating is already shot. If it is and you want a shiny razor, you can polish the brass with Mothers mag and aluminum polish. With an old Tee-shirt and some elbow grease you will have a very shiny razor, but there will be no gold left.

Well here are before & after pics of my $2.99 experiment. Originally it did not have a nice patina; it just looked abandoned & abused. Now I think it retains an aged demeanor, but with dignity.

IMG_7384.JPG
IMG_7397.JPG

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have one just like it with the gold plating intact and original. The only thing I do to clean mine is rub it gently in my fingers with Dawn under running warm water once a week. It's never been tarnished and was NIB when I found it so no patina anywhere. Yours has cleaned up pretty well and for the price, who could say no?

IMG_1204.jpg

That's one of my favorite razors and yours looks great with that remaining patina. A word of caution though, if you ever plan to have that razor re-plated let the person know that polishes have been used on the metal. Many of these polishes that have been listed in this thread contain petroleum products and they can sometimes contaminate the solution used for plating. The person doing the work has to throw away the solution and start again. Sometimes these products leave microscopic residues that can keep your new plating from adhering properly and it will flake off at a later date. Trust me, I learned this the hard way. Letting the replater know will allow him to correctly prep the piece to ensure a well bonded finish and will keep his plating bath clean of solvents.

Polishing a well worn gold razor will bring the brass up to "almost" match the remaining plating.

NLC is a nice head and one I have in custom and free range razors.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
There are lots of threads discussing this issue. I recommend using a spot face drill bit to open that ridge up if you really need to use that handle. Not all NEW heads have this size.

Your handle will fit the long-comb head on the left without modification.

The top of the handle doesn't fit in the space provided, it's only touching in two spots. The correct handle for that head would fit in between the raised ridges instead of on top of them.
Thank you.
Please keep an eye on me Razor Wizards. I'm the new kid in school.

There are lots of threads discussing this issue. I recommend using a spot face drill bit to open that ridge up if you really need to use that handle. Not all NEW heads have this size.

Your handle will fit the long-comb head on the left without modification.

handshake.jpg

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thank you.
Please keep an eye on me Razor Wizards. I'm the new kid in school.

I learned this after my first vintage purchase. At first I wasn't happy about it, but its water under the bridge now.

Nice pickup!

Adam

Top Bottom