What's new

Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I had an interesting shaving experience today.

Soap - Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
Omega Boar
Gillette NEW LC - Fresh Polsilver
48 hours since last shave.

I hadnt used this razor for a while, my Gillette Rocket has been doing double duty lately, but I thought I'd take it for a whirl. Dropped a new Polsilver in it and started my usual 3 pass shave. One WTG, one XTG and one ATG.

I finish the ATG pass, have a light rinse and feel my face and neck. BBS everywhere except the trouble spots on my neck either side of my adams apple feeling ATG. Paint on a bit more soap, buff, check, hmmm stubble. I checked the blade, made sure the handle was nice and tight. Paint more lather on, buff, buff, rinse, what the hell lol, stubble! By this point I'm a bit grumbly and pick up my Gillette Rocket with a Derby in it that has FOUR shaves on it. Paint lather again, buff buff, hmmm, stubbles gone...

My usual shave with the Rocket, lately, has been one pass WTG, one pass ATG, and 1-2 buffing passes over the same trouble spots and a BBS every time.

I could feel and hear the blade in the LC hitting, and from the sound, cutting the stubble. I picked up my Rocket because I felt the only way I would get BBS on those two spots would be to apply pressure. Been there done that, not a good idea.

I think this was the difference in the rigidity of the blades in both razors showing up.

Thoughts?

I used the NEW LC for a while and was stuck in the DFS realm. I participated in OCtober. After OCtober I decided to spend some time with the SC and low and behold, rigidity hit like a slap in the face. BBS shaves started rolling in, I was able to level all areas of my beard with ease. Another thing happened also, weepers disappeared. Since I was now dealing with a rigid smooth blade edge and not a chattering, flexing blade, I was able to go over areas more than once without tearing my face up. I used the SC for about 6 months and switched to the milder Postwar Tech, which has the same rigidity as the SC. I haven't used the LC or Prewar Tech since the unveiling of the NEW SC and Postwar Tech. My top two razors are the 48-50 Aristocrat and the Postwar Tech. Rigidity is real!

They ARE different! The SC is almost like an old!

TRUMP.jpg

I picked up a 7 O'Clock and a gold Rocket this weekend. I understand the 7 O'Clock is the same or similar to the NEW LC. I have been really enjoying the shaves it has been providing this week (4 shaves).

That said, after reading this, I am getting really excited to give the gold Rocket a go. It's definitely next in the rotation.

View attachment 793701

The SC is basically an Old Type with blade gap. Of the US NEWs, I believe the SC was the last one made. Gillette went full circle with their design. They started with a rigid OC design(Old Type) and ended with a rigid OC design(NEW SC).

The NEW Deluxe and LC are basically the same except for the comb length.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I honestly dont remember if I've actually gotten a BBS shave with the LC on my neck. I havent used it for a while now, but I did do a simple test the other day.

I loaded both the NEW LC and my Rocket with a blade, snugged them both down tightly and put pressure against the exposed blade edge with a straightened paper clip. The NEW LC blade deflected more than enough to surprise me. The blade in the Rocket was much more rigid and barely deflected at all even when applying considerably more pressure.

I've read many posts in this forum by rabidus and what he has said and the pictures he's shown has made a believer out of me. It took me a little while to understand the concept of design in razor heads, but once I did things just kind of clicked for me. Today with the LC sort of cemented it for me. The NEW LC doesnt have nearly the blade support or rigidness of my Rocket and I feel the shave reflected that. My technique is sound. I can easily achieve a BBS shave in all directions with the Rocket now, even with skipping my XTG pass. Thats a WTG and ATG passes, and one or two buffing passes ATG over the trouble spots on my neck.

I intend to try again with the NEW LC, and seeing as I have a decent selection of blades, and several more coming next week from two different sources I'll investigate it even further with several different blade types.

On to the next for you, I guess. I get great shaves from both. I usually get better shaves from my NEW LC. But lately, I think I picked a slightly less sharp blade in my box. It's a Gillette Silver Blue and I get great performance usually in all my razors. I use Polsilvers in my LC and it sweeps the hair off.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
On to the next for you, I guess. I get great shaves from both. I usually get better shaves from my NEW LC. But lately, I think I picked a slightly less sharp blade in my box. It's a Gillette Silver Blue and I get great performance usually in all my razors. I use Polsilvers in my LC and it sweeps the hair off.

I mainly use Polsilvers too, it's my go to blade and performed as expected everywhere but ATG over my trouble spots. If I wasnt use to a BBS shave every time now I likely wouldnt have worried about it. Maybe the Rocket has spoiled me!

I've never experienced a closeness problem shaving in one direction. I usually know shaving WTG whether a blade is a yea or nay. ATG just gives more confirmation. I might since I'm not ready to stop trying more blades for the fun of it. I have a Parat which is basically a Rocket. I love the above average weight and the TTO mechanism is very intriguing. I've stuck with it for the last 3 months and alternating a different razor every other shave.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've never experienced a closeness problem shaving in one direction. I usually know shaving WTG whether a blade is a yea or nay. ATG just gives more confirmation. I might since I'm not ready to stop trying more blades for the fun of it. I have a Parat which is basically a Rocket. I love the above average weight and the TTO mechanism is very intriguing. I've stuck with it for the last 3 months and alternating a different razor every other shave.

When you do try the Parat, make sure the TTO is tightened down well. I had an issue with my Rocket that mirrored the issue I have with my NEW LC and it was because I didnt have the TTO knob quite tight enough. I make sure to give it a firm twist every time I close it now and since I've done that I've had zero issues ATG with it. It really is a wonderful razor and if it had a 4" handle I would have no reason to look for anything else.

View attachment 793701

The SC is basically an Old Type with blade gap. Of the US NEWs, I believe the SC was the last one made. Gillette went full circle with their design. They started with a rigid OC design(Old Type) and ended with a rigid OC design(NEW SC).

The NEW Deluxe and LC are basically the same except for the comb length.

Now this is interesting!

The two areas where rigidity shines for me is above my lip and on my chin, especially on the left where it takes 15+ strokes ATG to BBS. I never bothered with BBS in these two areas with the LC. There's stubble on my jawline that puts up a fight also. Mowing down these works best with a mild rigid razor and not an aggressive rigid razor. More blade exposure doesn't reduce the stubble any faster, but it will irritate my skin trying for BBS with increased skin contact with the blade. Everywhere else on my beard, I can use any razor to get a BBS shave.

Many that are stuck in the DFS realm or those that have a problem shaving ATG don't realize that the razor is probably the problem.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Many that are stuck in the DFS realm or those that have a problem shaving ATG don't realize that the razor is probably the problem.

Exactly! Which is one reason why I made this post and I'll be making another in regards to head designs that promote blade rigidity soon. With the state of most modern mainstream razor heads, it's really no surprise at all that so many people have such difficulties shaving ATG. The less a blade edge is allowed to flex, the more comfortable the shave ATG and the more efficiently the blade can cut. Hair density and coarseness may factor into blade choice but any blade could cut more efficiently and effectively if it's held in a rigid state.

The New SC just got much more interesting!

For me, the OLD type has become more interesting. I'll need to explore the differences among them and the NEW OC.

The problem I seem to have is finding the relevant information. It doesnt seem as though many have really given a lot of thought to rigidity being something worth exploring and how it may affect the shave and the differences in head design.

Exactly! Which is one reason why I made this post and I'll be making another in regards to head designs that promote blade rigidity soon. With the state of most modern mainstream razor heads, it's really no surprise at all that so many people have such difficulties shaving ATG. The less a blade edge is allowed to flex, the more comfortable the shave ATG and the more efficiently the blade can cut. Hair density and coarseness may factor into blade choice but any blade could cut more efficiently and effectively if it's held in a rigid state.

For me, the OLD type has become more interesting. I'll need to explore the differences among them and the NEW OC.

The problem I seem to have is finding the relevant information. It doesnt seem as though many have really given a lot of thought to rigidity being something worth exploring and how it may affect the shave and the differences in head design.

I remember pulling up images of the Blackland Blackbird and being horrified by the design! Modern razor "designers" don't seem to have a clue as to what they are doing, they just want to make something that seems "modern".

AWFUL!!!.jpg

The New SC just got much more interesting! :cowboy:

Unfortunately, in typical Gillette fashion, the SC was sold with all of the other razors caps, the Deluxe 15 and 17mm, LC, prewar Tech and the original SC cap. The SC cap and 15mm Deluxe cap seem to offer the most blade exposure, with the LC cap a little less and the prewar Tech offering the least blade exposure. Only the SC cap and prewar Tech cap can be identified in a picture. The SC cap has squared off corner tabs and the prewar Tech has the short blade aligning bars. The SC cap doesn't fit any other baseplate.

$uploadfromtaptalk1457876863029.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I remember pulling up images of the Blackland Blackbird and being horrified by the design! Modern razor "designers" don't seem to have a clue as to what they are doing, they just want to make something that seems "modern".

View attachment 793800

YES! LOL. In my mind that razor would shave no differently than the typical run of the mill Muhle, Mekur, EJ head.

P1160333.jpg

In comparison to the Wolfman MR1.

WolfmanWR1.png

It's clear which has better blade support and would be more rigid and in my mind, the more comfortable and effective razor.

Top Bottom