What's new

Weck Wednesdays

Weck Wednesday and today was Orange Popsicle Weck. The blade was a little loose and so had to crimp it by hand and later by pliers. Totally different from the US Military issue Medical Prep. This one was very light and maneuverable and the scales were the right size and feel, almost like the Feather Custom from a couple of weeks ago. Totally enjoying my Wednesday shaves.
DSC01558.JPG

This is truly a magnificent shaving tool! Absolutely sublime shave today!

Two passes WTG,ATG and some touchup- the blade has a few shaves on it so it has mellowed out and is very smooth.

Happy Weck Wednesday all :)

proxy.php

Finally could afford that 7 day set I've been wanting. Ok so it's not a CVH Mk31 matched set...it was less than a 10th of that price lol!

This is next Wednesday's shave- should make it here by then.

I didn't realize there were different models AA-H does this mean I've gotta get 'em all?

proxy.php

When @Sdm84 starts showing me pics like the one above, I had to reach into my Weck Box and take out my oldies but goodies.

Got the same seven day set, but got only three days. BFD, they are only Weck blades (not like they got the days of the week etched on the spine). Two of mine were the Stroppable blades though and they really do hold an edge after stropping (and light honing).

DSC01559.JPG
DSC01562.JPG

Also got a Vendor Giveaway Weck. It was listed on eBay as a Peerless Razor and at first I thought it was a Weck clone that took a Weck blade and so I got it for that reason. When I got it and took the guard off, I was so disappointed because it was a REAL Weck and not a clone. Still don't know why the coffin box says Peerless Rubber and the razor says Rainbow Packing.

DSC01563.JPG

And yes, they are great shavers. Closest thing to a straight razor without being one. It is amazing how Weck was doing the Feather AC thing long before Feather started.

When @Sdm84 starts showing me pics like the one above, I had to reach into my Weck Box and take out my oldies but goodies.

Got the same seven day set, but got only three days. BFD, they are only Weck blades (not like they got the days of the week etched on the spine). Two of mine were the Stroppable blades though and they really do hold an edge after stropping (and light honing).

View attachment 791600 View attachment 791601

Also got a Vendor Giveaway Weck. It was listed on eBay as a Peerless Razor and at first I thought it was a Weck clone that took a Weck blade and so I got it for that reason. When I got it and took the guard off, I was so disappointed because it was a REAL Weck and not a clone. Still don't know why the coffin box says Peerless Rubber and the razor says Rainbow Packing.

View attachment 791602

And yes, they are great shavers. Closest thing to a straight razor without being one. It is amazing how Weck was doing the Feather AC thing long before Feather started.

Yours is in much better shape than mine but the price was low so I don't mind too much. I'd like to find a really nice one like an H model in a really nice case someday.

Too bad about the peerless- I have been eyeing some clones I think I saw a Japanese clone the other day do you know anything about them?

I have been eyeing some clones I think I saw a Japanese clone the other day do you know anything about them?
The only Japanese clones I know of are kind of oversized hair shapers. These were done late 50's to 70's. They were all metal like the Weck Hair Shapers, slightly larger and heavier, but not as large or heavy as the Medical Preps. They also had a kind of rounded handle.I have one which I think is a Swan. Swan also made Weck blades (and I think they still might). Very comfortable and easy to use.

Okay, had to dig into my Weck Box again and found the Swan (middle). I also found a Miraki, which is a current production but uses the Dovo inserts (top). It did not come with a green insert, but I had a couple of spares and used one of them for the Miraki. This one is a massive one, almost the size of the Medical Prep, but a little lighter and more comfortable with the rounded handle.
DSC01564.JPG

Weck Wednesday!

I find that I look forward to the middle of the week and the opportunity to use "the ultimate frameback" what a brilliant shaver!

Today is a new (to me) sextoblade model B. It is a little smaller than my medical and much lighter but it is also a bit more nimble to navigate around the face. It is part of a "seven day set" but since it is only the blade that is the "days" rather than the razor itself it is more of a novelty than anything. It is still an interesting set.

A light touch 3 pass shave today yielded a satisfying BBS shave :)

proxy.php

proxy.php

Weckdate: Wednesday May 31th 2017

Went to Prep school today, graduated with honors. A smooth close shave was had.

proxy.php

No longer am I Weckless on Wednesday. This arrived in yesteday's mail and I wasted no time in putting it to use. :thumbup1:

I had wanted one of the hoe type surgical prep models, but they seem to be in short supply. I'd been monitoring eBay for a couple of weeks with no success, so I got this instead. I'm not even sure exactly what it is - any info would be most appreciated.

It actually works well for me, as I'm in the early stages of learning to use a straight razor. After nearly half a century of shaving with hoe type razors of one sort or another the straight feels very awkward in my hand and the unprotected wicked sharp edge is rather intimidating.

It's not even the actual shaving that bothers me - I'm just afraid that I'll sneeze and lop off a piece of my ear or something. :sad:

So this is perfect - a straight razor with training wheels! I can use the guard until I develop a little muscle memory and gain some confidence. Not having to worry about stropping and honing is also nice and means I'm likely to use it more often.

My maiden shave went reasonably well, with a few weepers and one little nick that had me rummaging in the medicine cabinet for a styptic pencil. I was able to get through a complete 3 pass shave, which I had not yet been able to do with the "real" straight razor.

I like the Weck. Of course that means that I want more of them - another rabbit hole . . .

--Bob

proxy.php

No longer am I Weckless on Wednesday. This arrived in yesteday's mail and I wasted no time in putting it to use. :thumbup1:

I had wanted one of the hoe type surgical prep models, but they seem to be in short supply. I'd been monitoring eBay for a couple of weeks with no success, so I got this instead. I'm not even sure exactly what it is - any info would be most appreciated.

It actually works well for me, as I'm in the early stages of learning to use a straight razor. After nearly half a century of shaving with hoe type razors of one sort or another the straight feels very awkward in my hand and the unprotected wicked sharp edge is rather intimidating.

It's not even the actual shaving that bothers me - I'm just afraid that I'll sneeze and lop off a piece of my ear or something. :sad:

So this is perfect - a straight razor with training wheels! I can use the guard until I develop a little muscle memory and gain some confidence. Not having to worry about stropping and honing is also nice and means I'm likely to use it more often.

My maiden shave went reasonably well, with a few weepers and one little nick that had me rummaging in the medicine cabinet for a styptic pencil. I was able to get through a complete 3 pass shave, which I had not yet been able to do with the "real" straight razor.

I like the Weck. Of course that means that I want more of them - another rabbit hole . . .

--Bob
Welcome to the World of Weck. The guard makes this soooo easy to use. It is a pain flipping it for each side of the face though.

proxy.php

--Bob

Welcome to the wonderful world of WECK!

Great choice as your first I am sure Les will be along to correctly identify it but it does resemble my medical weck for sure!

For me the guard is a bit wonky- I end up having to change the comb direction when I switch hands or use the same hand for the whole face which is awkward for me.

Without the guard it is the ultimate frameback straight IMO. A really really light touch will yield shaving nirvana! BTW the first shave on a new blade can be rough- these blades last a LONG time and about 3 or so shaves in it hits its stride.

Looking forward to your entries in Weck Wednesday!

BTW- you have always given me great advice and insight on my "hoe razors" thanks to you and your beautiful collection I have acquired quite a few myself! Thank you for showing me the world of SE razors and I am glad I might have something to share with you maybe "weck wisdom" lol!

Great choice as your first I am sure Les will be along to correctly identify it but it does resemble my medical weck for sure!

For me the guard is a bit wonky- I end up having to change the comb direction when I switch hands or use the same hand for the whole face which is awkward for me.

Without the guard it is the ultimate frameback straight IMO. A really really light touch will yield shaving nirvana! BTW the first shave on a new blade can be rough- these blades last a LONG time and about 3 or so shaves in it hits its stride.

Looking forward to your entries in Weck Wednesday!

BTW- you have always given me great advice and insight on my "hoe razors" thanks to you and your beautiful collection I have acquired quite a few myself! Thank you for showing me the world of SE razors and I am glad I might have something to share with you maybe "weck wisdom" lol!
I have 2 Weck that I can use together. I have the guards on opposite side so I just grab the right one of each side of the face instead of changing the guard around.

From the old ad that Feather-man posted, it appears to be a Nurse's Prep which they describe as slightly smaller than the Medical Prep. Bob's Weck does appear to be around the size of the hair shapers but definitely looks a lot better built. As always, Bob found a rarity among rare razors.

Well finally returned to my Weck Milady tonight. I know my last couple of Weck Wednesdays were with straights, but didn't realize it has been a month since I last picked up a Milady/Surgical Prep. was almost tempted to follow Sdm84 and pull out my seven day set, but thought I would have been going straight for too long.

BTW @spidey9 you are now officially a Wecken. Welcome to the club.

Top Bottom