What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Might have to reconsider what the term "done" means when deciding a blade has run its course. I've been saying a blade is done when it no longer cuts efficiently, or when the shave itself becomes unpleasant. And with that definition, I've been able to take select blades to 20 to 30 shaves before binning.

For the past few weeks I've been engaged in a challenge of sorts to shave with a Super Homex super stainless blade, kindly PIF'd to me by a fellow B&B with the understanding that we report our impressions. Using my definition above, the blade was done after shave one, but I took it to seven shaves. All unpleasant, with poor stubble removal qualities, yet oddly enough, no nicks or irritation.

Thinking back, I'm not sure any of the blades I binned for being "done" felt as bad as the Homex. For comparison, I pulled out a Wizamet I had used in the 2016 One-Blade-in-Feburary challenge and had stored away. It had 32 shaves on it. Today's shave was a DFS in two passes, comfortable with no alum sting. Ten times better than the Homex. So, having put my face through the Homex blade challenge and having established a new baseline for what an unpleasant shave is, I should start seeing my shave longevity numbers creep into the 40s and 50s.

Great job @1Cal! I don't think I'll make it to eleventy one, maybe because I'm pretty casual with my flips.

Today I did an Odin's day Old Type (Yeah I know its a stretch). It's shave 85 with the Nacet. Actually a pretty pleasant shave. I'm not getting BBS these days no matter how much I scrape so I may end this at the end of the month. Still, we reject arbitrary limits so we'll see.

Great job @1Cal! I don't think I'll make it to eleventy one, maybe because I'm pretty casual with my flips.
Thank you Mike. :001_smile
I'm sure the daily flipping is helping my blade a lot.
Today I did an Odin's day Old Type (Yeah I know its a stretch). It's shave 85 with the Nacet. Actually a pretty pleasant shave. I'm not getting BBS these days no matter how much I scrape so I may end this at the end of the month. Still, we reject arbitrary limits so we'll see.
Although the numbers are fun, the main point of the exercise for me is to improve my technique. My shaving guru @bosseb has reached the high 120s several times with no thought to blade flipping whatsoever... and he doesn't tolerate sub-par or less than BBS shaves.

I too intend stopping my current run as soon as the shaves are no longer great (i.e. enjoyable with a BBS result). Of course I have no idea when that will happen. Tomorrow, next week, who knows? I'm just keeping my attention on my shaves with no thought to the numbers.

I know that when I started I was fixated with the numbers... which didn't help my technique one bit. Now that I've made it a journey, rather than a destination, I'm really enjoying myself. Kinda like loving myself rather than competing with myself.

Whoops! Sorry about my rambling, and no doubt TMI. :001_rolle :laugh:

the main point of the exercise for me is to improve my technique. My shaving guru @bosseb has reached the high 120s several times with no thought to blade flipping whatsoever... and he doesn't tolerate sub-par or less than BBS shaves.
I distinctly remember him hitting 128 and a week or so later I hit 126 and called it quits. I could have easily passed 128, but it's not a contest, it's about great shaves and the blade was done.

BTW my longest lasting blade was a Bolzano that died in the mid-130s - never flipped or stropped. I am not convinced regular flipping would help me get more shaves, but I'm trying it with my current Astra SP. I'm at the mid-30s so the blade is still young.

I should have remembered that from old English novels.

Actually the word ton when used in those English novels referred to high society, especially during the Regency Period (early 1800's). It was based on the French words "le bon ton" meaning "good manners" or "good form" – characteristics held as ideal by the British upper class. It forms the basis for modern words such as "tone" and "toney."

This morning small party in the bathroom to celebrate the 50th shave of the Kai !
It wore like a charm and gave me a new BBS in a great sweetness.
It was inside in a Rockwell 6C in two passes (plate 4 then 2) and some free style in plate 1.

Here is a picture of the lady coming out of the bath in # 50.:001_wub:
Kai #50.jpg
Kai #50 bis.jpg

You will see, if you compare these pictures to the one above # 34, as the edge is not chipped or damaged: I can understand why it is still so comfortable.

Attachments

• Kai #50.jpg
    Kai #50.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 11
This morning small party in the bathroom to celebrate the 50th shave of the Kai !
It worked like a charm and gave me a new BBS in a great sweetness.
:thumbup1: Congratulations on the "half ton" (as we Brits would say) Theleme.
BTW, what was your previous record if you don't mind me asking?
You will see, if you compare these pictures to the one above # 34, as the edge is not chipped or damaged: I can understand why it is still so comfortable.
:001_smile Those are great pics Theleme. Thank you very much!
(I think you've made my decision for me on which blade I'll be using next.:laugh:)

:thumbup1: Congratulations on the "half ton" (as we Brits would say) Theleme.
BTW, what was your previous record if you don't mind me asking?
My previous record was # 49 on that Kai... :biggrin1:
I started with Excalibur not long ago, and I work several blades at the same time (DE, AC, Injector)
But from today I am no longer the same man: I am included in the very prestigious Half-Ton sub-section of the famous Excalibur Club :001_302:

@Theleme Those images are amazing. How did you take them?
With a cheap USB microscope bought on ebay...:biggrin:

It was the right answer, it is the first blade with which I started Excalibur ...
I have other blades that will make the next records, but this Kai is the first !
Before my record was #4, realy !

I could only muster up 18 face and one head shave out of a Kai Mild PINK blade in the aluminum Colonial General. The one head shave was on shave 13 and it couldn't BBS my head, I had to do a third pass with the DE I had on hand. All the face shaves before and after we're BBS. It was my first run with an AC blade.

I love those pictures @Theleme! You can see that the edge gets smoother the longer you shave with it.

I hit 90 today with the Nacet. I'm starting to suspect something. It seems that when I flip, as I do at irregular intervals, it takes a day or two for the blade to cut well again. The difference is subtle so it may just be other factors.

I'm still impressed with the quality of the shave, but I have to work at it. ATG is pretty difficult. I'm committed to two more shaves as that will be the end of the third month. We'll see after that.

Top Bottom