What's new

Will this effect a shave?

I got a my first red tip in the mail today and after restoring it a bit I noticed the doors don't close equally. Will this effect the shave? If you notice the blade is flush with the doors on one side but not the other.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Your friendly neighborhood BambulanceMan

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Easy enough to return it to straight, I use a crescent wrench to grip in parallel and leave no marks on the end cap. You can see yours is crooked to the base plate. This photo may give you an idea of how even though it's a different model.

Place the jaws of the wrench (or pliers) over the entire length of the end cap and twist slightly opposite direction it's bent. I'm only on partly for this Sheraton repair, you'll be on both sides.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Cool. It's a rather simple and easy fix that some guys really stress over -- I've done dozens. Only once an endcap popped off, it was probably ready to fall off anyway. Happy it went well for you.

Let us know how it shaves!

Ok just finished my shave..... HOLY CRAP. This is my very first BBS shave with a weeper, nick, or irritation. Even on my neck! This is my new favorite razor.

Your friendly neighborhood BambulanceMan

Easy enough to return it to straight, I use a crescent wrench to grip in parallel and leave no marks on the end cap. You can see yours is crooked to the base plate. This photo may give you an idea of how even though it's a different model.

Place the jaws of the wrench (or pliers) over the entire length of the end cap and twist slightly opposite direction it's bent. I'm only on partly for this Sheraton repair, you'll be on both sides.

Awesome advice!

Is there anything related to razors or shaving that can't be answered on this forum?

Nemo: thank you for taking the time to post your advice with your photo. And to the OP, thanks for asking this and for posting your results.

I just love this community.

Awesome Score! Glad to hear it's fixed. :clap:

Great info and pic, love the patina on both the razor and the wrench!:thumbup1:

I had a Red Tip like that where one door didn't quite close all the way. I shaved with it like that and it seemed fine. I eventually sent it off to CAP Smith for repairs and when I got it back the shaves went from good to awesome!
Congrats on fixing yours and enjoy the shaves!:thumbup:

I had a Red Tip like that where one door didn't quite close all the way. I shaved with it like that and it seemed fine. I eventually sent it off to CAP Smith for repairs and when I got it back the shaves went from good to awesome!
Congrats on fixing yours and enjoy the shaves!:thumbup:

Thanks! Cap is actually fixing a super adjustable for me right now!

Top Bottom