What's new

First Fountain Pen on the way

I've been lurking in this section of B&B for a while now and decided to see how I liked writing with a fountain pen. As I write this, a Pilot Metropolitan, converter, a bottle of ink, and a Rhodia pad are in transit! If I like it, I can definitely see myself buying a few nicer pens, but I didn't want to break the bank yet.

Once it comes in, it's time for me to start improving my handwriting!

And so it begins....

The Metro is an excellent first pen in my view. Now that you've got one that works, save your pennies for a better one, then one better than that. No need to stock up on pens in the Metro range.

A very good choice to start. I have found that I have no need to purchase anything other than my metropolitans. If I lose it, drop and trash the tip, or run over it (yeah I did that) just order another. If I get get bored there are many styles to choose from. Plus with as inexpensive as they are that leaves more room for ink. I have to exercise some serious self control when it comes to the ink.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Welcome to The Nib, James! A Metropolitan is a fine pen to start with. Don't hesitate to ask any questions that you may have.

What bottle of ink did you decide to get?

Welcome to The Nib, James! A Metropolitan is a fine pen to start with. Don't hesitate to ask any questions that you may have.

What bottle of ink did you decide to get?

I just got a bottle of Parker Quink - Black. It has some good reviews, so I hope it gets the job done. If I like writing with a fountain pen, I will be buying a lot more ink.

Two things you NEED to remember with a fountain pen (I know these from experience)

1-Use the pen. It is not a ball point that can sit for a year and still write. You don't use it it will dry in the nib and a clogged nib can be a PIA to clean. Sometimes it is just a matter of holding it under warm water. Sometimes though it requires a soak.

2-Make sure the cap is ON all the way and nib up in your pocket or bag. Don't just toss it into the bag. It will leak.

Two things you NEED to remember with a fountain pen (I know these from experience)

1-Use the pen. It is not a ball point that can sit for a year and still write. You don't use it it will dry in the nib and a clogged nib can be a PIA to clean. Sometimes it is just a matter of holding it under warm water. Sometimes though it requires a soak.

2-Make sure the cap is ON all the way and nib up in your pocket or bag. Don't just toss it into the bag. It will leak.

Yup...it happens
IMG_0836.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I have received the pen and first impressions are very good! It definitely feels different than my other pens, but I am quite enjoying it. Now to buy a few more ink colors!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I just got a bottle of Parker Quink - Black. It has some good reviews, so I hope it gets the job done. If I like writing with a fountain pen, I will be buying a lot more ink.
Well, I have received the pen and first impressions are very good! It definitely feels different than my other pens, but I am quite enjoying it. Now to buy a few more ink colors!

Quink was a fine choice. I have a bottle an have inked up a number of my pens with it. Glad to hear that you're liking the pen! For trying out inks, samples are the way to go. :thumbup:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If I like it, I can definitely see myself buying a few nicer pens, but I didn't want to break the bank yet.

Yeah ... there's always a chance you won't spend a boatload of money on pens and inks ...

proxy.php

Top Bottom