What's new

Blind Ink Review (May 2017)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Let's go for round 2! I want to give a few of the members of The Nib a chance to have a little fun and do a blind ink review. The review will be conducted as follows. I will have 4-6 different inks that I will label: A, B, C, etc. I will send each of the participants a 1-2ml sample of each of the inks. The participants will need to review the inks and tell us your objective findings and personal opinions of the inks. Pictures are always a plus, but not required as long as your assessments are descriptive and thorough. The point is to have fun trying some inks without any preconceived biases of the inks.

The requirements:
  • Please, if you signup, be committed to review the inks and post the reviews on this thread (or whichever thread I designate to do so in) within a week (or so) after receiving the samples.
  • You must be a member for at least 30 days and have at least 50 quality posts.
  • CONUS only. Sorry, but shipping internationally could get more expensive than I'm willing spend.
  • You must have at least one post in The Nib forum. Please, provide a link to a post that you've made.

I'm not sure yet what the participant cutoff number will be. Right now 6 is the magic number, but it all depends on how many members signup. If there are more members signed up than I am able to accommodate, I might switch things up a bit. More than likely, I'll randomly draw who gets to participate from the members who are signed up. Long story short, just because you're the first to signup, does not mean that you're guaranteed to participate.

I'll keep this signup going until at least the 19th.. The samples will tentatively be sent out sometime between the 20th and the 24th.

If you would like to familiarize yourself with the last BIR, here's a link:
Blind Ink Review

Copy and paste the signup list. Also provide a link to your post in The Nib:

0. Claudel Xerxes (example)

I'm not in, as I got to be able to participate in the first go around (and be tardy on a couple reviews iirc)

This was a lot of fun though...Erik does a real nice job with it, so if you are interested, you should sign up.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm not in, as I got to be able to participate in the first go around (and be tardy on a couple reviews iirc)

This was a lot of fun though...Erik does a real nice job with it, so if you are interested, you should sign up.

Thanks, Justin. It's fun to put this together. I just wish that I had more ink and disposable income to do this more often!

If there's an open spot by the end of next week and you still want to be in, then by all means, signup. :thumbup1:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
@jzuzphreek Jessy, I remember you expressing that you'd like to be part of the next Blind Ink Review after the first one launched. There's room for you if you want to get onboard for this one! :thumbup1:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Incase anyone is on the fence about participating, anyone is welcome! From experts to noobs, and from chicken-scratch to calligraphy, all are welcome to signup!

I have been looking through the other thread and am wondering if there is any specific format we should use. I noticed that some in the last thread have a section titled "Swabs" and are listed 1, 2 and 3. I take it that is the number of wipes with a inked qtip?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I have been looking through the other thread and am wondering if there is any specific format we should use. I noticed that some in the last thread have a section titled "Swabs" and are listed 1, 2 and 3. I take it that is the number of wipes with a inked qtip?

Use whatever type of format you feel is appropriate. I don't want anyone to feel that they have to meet a certain standard of objectivity. I would just like the reviews to be more objective than, "I liked it," or 'I didn't like it". The three swabs are good way to indicate shading properties. If the ink grows darker gradually throughout the 3 swabs, then it's a good indicator that the ink has shading properties.

Yes, the numbers indicate swipes from an inked Q-tip.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Just a little bump. If we don't get anymore members signing up by tomorrow, then I'll extend the deadline until Sunday evening. If we still don't have anyone else signing up, then I might tweak things a bit, depending on what the participating members are feeling.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
@MonoTiki & @DukeNDuke , could you please PM me your shipping information? @Heckle , I still have you address (assuming that you haven't moved in the past couple of months).

@Jut , since we didn't hit 6 participants, you are more than welcome to participate again, if you'd like.

If you folks are game, I was thinking about doing what I did last time and send each of you the same 6 inks labeled A-F. But, since we only have 3, possibly 4, participants, I was thinking about sending each of you 2 bonus samples. The bonus samples would all be different, and would still be unknown to everyone but me until the reviews are written.

I should be able to send the samples out tomorrow or Tuesday.

0. Claudel Xerxes (example)
1. Heckle
2. MonoTiki
3. DukeNDuke
4. Jut

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Top Bottom