What's new

For Old Spice Lovers

For those of you who enjoy the scent of Old Spice, I suggest you try a tube of Old Spice Lather Cream from India. It comes in regular and lime scents. You can buy it here www.desistores.net. I got 8 tubes for $40.00 delivered to U.S. IMO the cream lathers very well and gives a pretty good shave.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, hell, Old Spice shaving cream was a favorite of mine for a while. I used to enjoy shaving with it, as well as with the soap.

Jeff

My review of the original Old Spice Lather Cream is as follows:

5 BEING THE BEST.

LATHER: (4+ ) Easy to whip into a very nice lather using Vulfix 2236, as well as my T&H turnback travel brush.

LUBRICATION: (4-) Not the best, but still very good for a three pass shave.

SCENT: (5) Hey, I like Old Spice. If you don't particularly like this scent, you might want to pass.

PRICE: (4+) At the quantities I purchased, it was less than $5.00 per tube. This is hard to beat.

OVERALL SHAVE EXPIRIENCE: (4+) I have used, and continue to use many of the high end shave creams and soaps. IMO, the Old Spice more than holds its own. The fact that I like the Old Spice scent definitely adds a bias to my opinion, therefore YMMV.

Mike, there's no doubt Old Spice is good stuff, now I'm considering to buy it again, along with the Denim cream. India has a reputation of putting out some very good shaving products.

Jeff

How similar are the scents to US Old Spice?
It's similar to the vintage Shulton version. Not exactly the same, but close. If your question is about current Old Spice, this smells slightly sweeter IMHO.

Btw, this thread is 11 years old.:jump:

It's similar to the vintage Shulton version. Not exactly the same, but close. If your question is about current Old Spice, this smells slightly sweeter IMHO.

Btw, this thread is 11 years old.:jump:
Holy Bat thread revivals!!! Can this be considered ancient history?? :001_tongu:001_302:
On a serious note, the O/S products that are made in India are considerably closer in scents and performance to the Original Shulton than the Proctor & Gamble mess....

It's an old (ancient) thread - but it caught my interest. (Okay, I admit, my sub-hobby is fishing through old threads looking for ones that get my attention.)

More to the point, I think I'll order some based on the responses and see how it goes. I loved (LOVED) growing up with my dad leaving his (Old) Old Spice stuff out - nostalgic smells. Amazing how the scent memory in humans is one of the sharpest.

The new stuff from India was not even close to old spice in scent. It was ok, but very subtle and not at all like os aftershave to me anyhow. It was also sub par in every other category for me as well.

The new stuff from India was not even close to old spice in scent. It was ok, but very subtle and not at all like os aftershave to me anyhow. It was also sub par in every other category for me as well.
Well, if you're interested in something similar, Dollar Store Spice has a bit of resemblance if you care to try it.
But I would have to respectfully disagree with your assesment on India O/S and the Original Shulton formula produced in Clifton NJ way back when. They are similar to the original, not exact. I should know, my Old Man worked there for over 30 years. Plus, I still carry some of the Original New Old Stock like O/S Burley, Original, Leather, Musk and Lime. All made between 1966 - 1973. And to my sniffer, India scents are close. Not exact, but close...

os.jpg
Old Spice shaving cream from India smells nothing like any incarnation of Old Spice ever. Its a generic chemical shave cream smell; not offensive, but it doesn't smell like OS at all. I'm talking about the tubes that look like this- there was apparently an older Indian OS that had a sailboat on the box & the label read "Lather Cream." But this? Uh uh.

I apologize Gents. I did not follow the OP's original thought concerning the Old Spice shaving cream/lather. I got lost in the thread and was comparing the aftershave and cologne scents of the Original O/S to those made in India. Nothing to do with the shaving aspect. My apologies.....

Well, if you're interested in something similar, Dollar Store Spice has a bit of resemblance if you care to try it.
But I would have to respectfully disagree with your assesment on India O/S and the Original Shulton formula produced in Clifton NJ way back when. They are similar to the original, not exact. I should know, my Old Man worked there for over 30 years. Plus, I still carry some of the Original New Old Stock like O/S Burley, Original, Leather, Musk and Lime. All made between 1966 - 1973. And to my sniffer, India scents are close. Not exact, but close...
I agree on the splash. I buy the Indian version. I have vintage as well. The biggest difference is that the vintage is sweeter and more potent to my nose, otherwise quite close. Buying vintage is too expensive for me. The dollar store version is also nice and is my travel splash. Regards.

I agree on the splash. I buy the Indian version. I have vintage as well. The biggest difference is that the vintage is sweeter and more potent to my nose, otherwise quite close. Buying vintage is too expensive for me. The dollar store version is also nice and is my travel splash. Regards.
+1 Agreed.

A close friend of mine is Indian. He told me the present versions of Old Spice cream are nothing like the original. He brought me a tube of the original Shulton one several years ago which I think smells great. He said to me "you would hate the newer versions so I wouldn't dare bring you any of them!" He also has a vintage Old Spice soap bowl which he says is the embodiment of shaving soaps.

Tried some of the original cream today. Thought it was pretty good cream and got a good shave, better in fact than with Proraso.

Not as easy on the skin as some of my higher priced stuff, but worth a try for those that like Old Spice.

When this thread was first started in 2006, the Old Spice creams were produced in India by MCPL and Wonder Products using the Shulton formula under license from P&G. That lasted until the year 2012 when the old distribution agreement with MCPL expired. The tube design was changed to the current checkered tube design and P&G transferred the license for manufacturing aftershaves and shaving creams to Rubicon using a different formula.

I bought the newer Old Spice Original, Musk and Lime creams in the checkered tubes and to say I was disappointed was to put it mildly. They smell almost indistinguishable. P&G totally ruined the scent of those creams. You would have to be very lucky to find anyone who still has the MCPL/Wonder Products creams left.

The ingredients of the P&G OS cream are very similar to the Gillette shaving cream in the tube that's made in India. Both are, of course owned by Proctor and Gamble. The MCPL/Wonder Products version has much better ingredients. Note that they're not adding triethanolamine like P&G does, nor is MCPL adding the delicious preservative, methylisothiazolinone, like P&G does.

Here's the article that appeared when P&G licensed the brand for manufacture in India to MCPL in 2002 (the old cream): P&G licenses marketing rights of Old Spice to Menezes Cosmetics

Another article announcing P&G terminating the relation with MCPL (which was associated with Shulton for 5 decades and probably used the original formula for the creams and aftershaves. I should have bought cases of it!): Procter & Gamble to market Old Spice, ends 10-year deal with Goa-based Menezes

Most feel that the current Original Old Spice aftershave made in India by Rubicon is also different from the previous version by MCPL which smelled more like vintage Old Spice. There's an extensive thread about it on B&B. I'm not certain if they changed the Musk and Lime aftershaves, although I really like the current Old Spice Musk made by Rubicon.

Where do you carry the vintage Old Spice varieties? Have you compared the current Old Spice Musk aftershave from India to the vintage one?

Top Bottom