What's new

Another name that snake

Sorry pics are bad, killed this guy today, any ideas?
proxy.php
proxy.php

Body is blackish grey, belly is yellow and black?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am horrible at snake identification, so I am no help here. I will be getting better at it before I move South, but that is still several years away.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's hard to tell sometimes without seeing the shape of the head. I try not to kill non-poisonous snakes as they will eat a lot of pests like mice, rats, etc. I am sure someone else will come along and be able to identify.

Looks like a yellow bellied racer. They can grow up to an average of 4 feet or so. Eat insects, amphibians, other reptiles, and rodents.

Would have been better to move it than to kill it. Keeps the real pests down.

Edit: A freaking out Mrs. explains a lot. :laugh:

The head was rounded, not the triangular shape, I would've left him but the mrs. found him raking leaves and went all shovel samurai on him.

Nothings free around my house, you work for your keep. Well played sir.

Been married for 52 years. Worse fight we ever had was over a snake. Wife came running up & told me there was a snake tangled up in the bird netting protecting our tomato plants. My daughter & I went to see about it. It took us about 15 minutes to get that wriggling thing (big king snake) loose. We set him free unharmed in woods out back. Went in the house & told my wife what we did. She went bat crap crazy in about one tenth of a second. She expected me to kill it not rescue it!! She stayed mad a long time!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
^^should have brought it inside, that would have flipped her out..

:biggrin1:

SWMBO woke me up a few years ago and said "There's a snake in the house!"

One had apparently came in around the dryer vent that I didn't cover the hole in the wall very good with flashing. It was hiding under one of her potted plants and looked just like a cottonmouth. We pushed the entire potted plant into a box and I closed it, then I took it out by the pond and dumped it. When the snake looked at me I could finally see its head and eyes...kinda triangular head but the pupils of the eyes were round and not slit like the cat eyes of a venomous snake...it was a yellow bellied water snake...harmless and good pest catchers. It went back to the pond. They are famous for doing water moccasin impersonations. SWMBO freaks out over even a little grass snake.

As slim as that one is I'd also have to go with a racer type of one. Did you get a look at the pupils of the eyes...and what area of the country do you live in? I bet the pupils were round.

In other words...I have no clue. If it's not a rattlesnake, cottonmouth, coral snake, or copperhead it should be fine.

As far as the color of the bands on a banded snake goes there is the old saying...red on black friend of Jack...red on yellow will kill a fellow.

“Red and black, friend of Jack; red and yellow kill a fellow.”

Shame that you killed the snake. They are good hunters and generally don't want anything to do with you. Next time consider relocating the snake, or if you are worried call someone.

I didn't get a look at the eyes, the violence was over once I got to her to see why she was frantically tearing my yard up[emoji35]. Poor little fellow was under the wrong leaves at the wrong time.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Been married for 52 years. Worse fight we ever had was over a snake. Wife came running up & told me there was a snake tangled up in the bird netting protecting our tomato plants. My daughter & I went to see about it. It took us about 15 minutes to get that wriggling thing (big king snake) loose. We set him free unharmed in woods out back. Went in the house & told my wife what we did. She went bat crap crazy in about one tenth of a second. She expected me to kill it not rescue it!! She stayed mad a long time!

Rescue the snake . The guy from Baton Rouge wanted to rescue it.

Top Bottom