What's new

Has anyone tried Altesse Triple Milled Shaving soap?

proxy.php

LINK

Yes, I have tried it. The scent was interesting but the shave was mediocre. I gave it away. Save your money. It reminds me of Arko.

I got these ingredients from a french shaving forum:

Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua, Palm Kernel Acid, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Kaolin, o-Tolyl Biguanide, Geraniol

The first ingredients look okay, but the kaolin is often characteristic of inferior soaps.

I had a cake of this a decade or so ago. It was awful. No protection, no slickness, just awful. The scent was nice though.

I'll note that the primary seller of this States' side has discontinued it. Gee, I wonder why?

That said I've seen glowing reviews for it in places and I can't understand why. Maybe I need to revisit it? Usually the French are pretty good at what they produce, I dunno.

Chris

Holy moly necro.

But a post got me curious, Kaolin Clay is usually a sign of an inferior product? Anybody care to elaborate if you think this is true?

I didn't know this was the case, I thought it was some sort of exotic skin moisturizing ingredient

Holy moly necro.

But a post got me curious, Kaolin Clay is usually a sign of an inferior product? Anybody care to elaborate if you think this is true?

I didn't know this was the case, I thought it was some sort of exotic skin moisturizing ingredient

Less knowledgeable soapmakers will add clay to a standard soap recipe and call it shaving soap. Clay improves slickness, but can't make up for an othewise insufficient formula. Clay is a drying agent. It has an ability to wick up oils as it dries, which is what you want in a mud mask, not so much in a shaving soap.

Less knowledgeable soapmakers will add clay to a standard soap recipe and call it shaving soap. Clay improves slickness, but can't make up for an othewise insufficient formula. Clay is a drying agent. It has an ability to wick up oils as it dries, which is what you want in a mud mask, not so much in a shaving soap.

Very interesting. If I see this in a soap, is it safe to assume it's subpar? The artisan added it as a quick fix?

Very interesting. If I see this in a soap, is it safe to assume it's subpar? The artisan added it as a quick fix?

I don't see it that way. There are some very well respected shaving soaps with clay. It's a bad sign when a manufacturer's shaving soap and bath soap have the same ingredients list, but for the additional clay.

Top Bottom