What's new

DONE WITH BUFFLEHEAD

How frustrating! I understand that there are quite a few issues in the world that are
more important than getting a shaving soap but........ Bufflehead sent out an email for an
8pm cst release of Fletcher soap. Last time I attempted to purchase the soap, it didn't even
get in my cart before it was sold out. And that was 2minutes after the release. Tonight,
I was ready with CC in hand 2 minutes before the release and kept refreshing the site until
boom; it was in my cart. I was pretty excited at that point, I was getting the ever elusive
BuffleHead soap. Well, NOT! put my info in and I get a "not in stock"; taken right out of my
cart. That's ok, ordering the new Wholley Kaw soap with donkey milk and a tub of L&L to ease
my frustration.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
lol, it must be good stuff! I reloaded the webpage every 4-seconds beginning @ 18:59 hrs (I'm in Colorado), reloaded it right when it went live & added 1 to my cart ... as I hit the link to Paypal @ 19:00, I was informed that they were out of stock. I've concluded that 20:00 CST comes much, much sooner for their pals -- that, or there were a total of what, 6 tins available?! Again, it must be great soap.

I managed to get one. Did the same thing as you guys. Refreshed page, had PayPal set up already. They were literally gone in one minute.

How frustrating! I understand that there are quite a few issues in the world that are
more important than getting a shaving soap but........ Bufflehead sent out an email for an
8pm cst release of Fletcher soap. Last time I attempted to purchase the soap, it didn't even
get in my cart before it was sold out. And that was 2minutes after the release. Tonight,
I was ready with CC in hand 2 minutes before the release and kept refreshing the site until
boom; it was in my cart. I was pretty excited at that point, I was getting the ever elusive
BuffleHead soap. Well, NOT! put my info in and I get a "not in stock"; taken right out of my
cart. That's ok, ordering the new Wholley Kaw soap with donkey milk and a tub of L&L to ease
my frustration.

Not surprised. He only had 50 soaps for sale. He makes soap for fun part-time and sells it to give to the community. You gotta be on top of it the second of the release, unfortunately. That new Wholly Kaw with donkey milk is probably the best base I've used so far, so you're not doing yourself a disservice there haha! With how close the "top" artisans are performance-wise, there's no real hard feelings when you can't land a Bufflehead anymore, anyway.

I'm tired of this marketing hype.

Don't sweat it. Enjoy your other soaps.

What marketing hype? If anything, it's hyped by the market. It's hard to keep up demand as a part-timer. He's only doing this as a hobby to give back to the community and isn't doing this as a full-time gig. He just coincidentally makes a good product that people trip over themselves to try and get. I also think that people buy the soap to flip on the secondary market, which sucks even more.

Bufflehead is sooooo good!

Agreed! Love the stamped cork on the tins, too.

That's the word anyway, doesn't matter how good it is if you can't get it. I've tried twice
and if it sells out within two minutes of availability I'm not going to chase it like a cabbage
patch doll or the latest coolest gizmo out there. I'll be completely content enjoying my other
quality soaps such as CRSW B&M,L&L,Mikes,etc.

I also think that people buy the soap to flip on the secondary market, which sucks even more.

I bought a tub of North York during the last offering and I'm not a bit coffee scented soap guy. So I was looking for some out there that someone was flipping just to see what was happening, you know ones that sold on EBay, etc and I really wasn't seeing that happening at all. I suspect by only allowing people to buy one he's likely limiting the reselling of it. I have seen a couple traded for other hard to find soaps but I don't see people cashing out. I think people are just buying it and keeping it.

I bought a tub of North York during the last offering and I'm not a bit coffee scented soap guy. So I was looking for some out there that someone was flipping just to see what was happening, you know ones that sold on EBay, etc and I really wasn't seeing that happening at all. I suspect by only allowing people to buy one he's likely limiting the reselling of it. I have seen a couple traded for other hard to find soaps but I don't see people cashing out. I think people are just buying it and keeping it.
I stand corrected, then. That's good to hear!

I tried getting some as well just for the neck of it. Had PayPal ready to go and everything and still nothing.
I'll just source the ingredients and make my own version to use at home.

That's the word anyway, doesn't matter how good it is if you can't get it. I've tried twice
and if it sells out within two minutes of availability I'm not going to chase it like a cabbage
patch doll or the latest coolest gizmo out there. I'll be completely content enjoying my other
quality soaps such as CRSW B&M,L&L,Mikes,etc.

So true. I don't understand chasing products that are hard to get. If they fall in your lap, fine. Otherwise, move on.

Heard if you stand outside just before schedule that guys are selling.

My wife & a closetful of handbags makes more sense than this.

Me as well. This is the 3rd time it has sold out from under me while in Paypal in less than 2 minutes and I already had paypal up.This time I even went as far as a stop watch and as soon as it went live I added, cart info, paypal and at 1:31 came back out of stock. Unsubscribed, done with them.

Just marketing, folks. This is how they keep interest in their stuff high.
Same as the BBS-1 razors and other crap that's going on.
Bwahahahaha!

As far as marketing goes just think of it this way. The vendor makes about 50 soaps at a time about every three months. So about 200 soaps a year. They sell for right around the $20 mark. So that's about $4000 in soap without removing the material expenses. The materials for soap making are pretty reasonable but then there's the nice tins, the cork, the ink logo stamped into the cork, the drawstring bag, etc. So figure about $10 for materials. So now the profit is about half or $2000 a year. This $2000 covers the time to make the soap and package it, deal with customer issues, maintain and pay for a web site as well as other social media. I'm guessing so maybe my math is off a bit but the point is that there's not that much money we're talking about here.

So while two grand is a lot of money it's certainly not going to cover all of the bills and support a family. I know that it would be nice to have an extra two grand a year but personally it's certainly not going to give me a substantially different lifestyle.

The demand is there because it's a limited quantity, you don't really benefit from keeping the demand high if you don't sell more soap to take advantage of it. It's not that the maker is such a smart businessman it's just that he has other responsibilities like small children and a much better paying day job that take up more of his time. This is just a hobby for him is all. Something that he enjoys doing until it's not enjoyable to do anymore.

Top Bottom