What's new

Reccomend me a Mil-dot scope that will not empty my savings account

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So give me a few ideas. Can you get one that's any good under a $1000.

What magnification, FOV and glass are you looking for? Do you want a tactical set up or just sporting? these things will affect pricing along with the brand. But +1 on Randy's and Blary's suggestions.

What magnification, FOV and glass are you looking for? Do you want a tactical set up or just sporting? these things will affect pricing along with the brand. But +1 on Randy's and Blary's suggestions.
Sporting. Something with glas for under 500 yards.

Found this on ebay

Leupold 4-12x40 P5 Mil Dot Reticle Rifle Scope - 115392

for $409.

I have been a fan of Leupold scopes when I got my first back in 1963.

Anything with GOOD glass. Comparable Leupold, Burris, and Nikon beats Vortex hands down on image quality/resolution. The you hit the premium makers, Swarovski, Zeiss, and such, who you don't want to look through unless you have a great hold on your credit card. Vortex lives off their warranty, well ALL the quality major brand scope makers do lifetime warranties.

For a 500 yd Mil-Dot you have several scopes in the $500 range that are, but do not mail order unless you have looked through them elsewhere. Most stores have a stock you can mount 2-3 scopes on, shoulder them up, and compare side by side.

Anything with GOOD glass. Comparable Leupold, Burris, and Nikon beats Vortex hands down on image quality/resolution. The you hit the premium makers, Swarovski, Zeiss, and such, who you don't want to look through unless you have a great hold on your credit card. Vortex lives off their warranty, well ALL the quality major brand scope makers do lifetime warranties.

For a 500 yd Mil-Dot you have several scopes in the $500 range that are, but do not mail order unless you have looked through them elsewhere. Most stores have a stock you can mount 2-3 scopes on, shoulder them up, and compare side by side.
Thanks . Appreciate the information.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Bottom line is, the further you shoot, the more you appreciate (need) top quality optics. At intermediate ranges, any decent quality scope will do. But as you extend the distance, even some good quality scopes won't cut it, you'll need more magnification, better glass and "brighter" light gathering capability. Minor short comings that are not apparent at say, 200 yards are glaringly apparent at 600 yds. When I first bought my heavy .308 bolt gun, I wasn't expecting to shoot at more than say 300 yds. I initially equipped it with a Leupold 2.5-10 x 40 mildot scope and all was well. But when I decided to dabble in 600 yd F-class competition, that Leupold just would not cut it. I needed more magnification, more light gathering and more clarity to not only see the target, but to read mirage and other wind signs, in order to be competitive. The above mentioned Sightron put me in the game for a lot less than a NightForce, Steiner, USO, etc.

Great price. Was it new?

As best I can tell, the seller says limited quantity, but also says a couple of dozen sold. I have one, probably an older model on an AR 15, purchased from one of the major gun supply dealers and it's a fantastic scope. That looks like a good price on that scope, although I have not looked elsewhere, just thought I would look on e bay for fun after seeing this thread.

Somehow when I first posted about this it did not copy as a link, just copy and past those item numbers into ebay search and the item description will come up.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Bottom line is, the further you shoot, the more you appreciate (need) top quality optics. At intermediate ranges, any decent quality scope will do. But as you extend the distance, even some good quality scopes won't cut it, you'll need more magnification, better glass and "brighter" light gathering capability. Minor short comings that are not apparent at say, 200 yards are glaringly apparent at 600 yds. When I first bought my heavy .308 bolt gun, I wasn't expecting to shoot at more than say 300 yds. I initially equipped it with a Leupold 2.5-10 x 40 mildot scope and all was well. But when I decided to dabble in 600 yd F-class competition, that Leupold just would not cut it. I needed more magnification, more light gathering and more clarity to not only see the target, but to read mirage and other wind signs, in order to be competitive. The above mentioned Sightron put me in the game for a lot less than a NightForce, Steiner, USO, etc.

Great advice John. I spent the money and put a S&B on my 700 Police years ago, while it's capable of grouping at a 1000 clicks I'm just not. :)

Much as I look upon Vortex fanboys as a cult, their new stuff is starting to impress me. I had the pleasure of spending the day with the Vortex rep, we took numerous Vortex items out to play. The NEW, not even on the web yet, only couple out to reps for demo, 3-15x50 PST is gonna find a way to my safe. New PST has the illumination control concentric with the parallax knob, 1st focal plane, MOA or MilRad, 30mm tube, 4" eye relief, and extremely nice glass. Still not Swarovski, but probably giving Leupold VX-3 glass a hard run, I would love to get them side by side.

I have a CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel on order. I picked up a scope a couple of months ago for it, and got a Leupold vx3i 3.5x10 40mm for it. Glass looks to be very good. I used my older 527 in 22 horned to place a set of Warne qd rings on it last night. I decided to go the qd route so I could remove it easily for cleaning whenever needed.

I have had good luck with Vortex optics and could say they would be a reasonable choice...but I'm not here to sing their praises today. Years back I picked up a Redfield. Most impressed, so much that I later bought a set of their binoculars and they too have proven most worthy.
Overall quality I would compare to my Bushnell Elite. A Swarovski it ain't. Gets the job done at a reasonable cost.

IMG_0729.JPG

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Great advice John. I spent the money and put a S&B on my 700 Police years ago, while it's capable of grouping at a 1000 clicks I'm just not. :)

Same here, 1000 yds is a challenge I have yet to meet, I'm still struggling at 600yds!

I have four of these on various rifles. They compare well to my Meopta and Nikon Monarch scopes.

Amazon.com : Ade Advanced Optics 6-25X56 35mm Long Range Rifle Scope Illuminated Mildot Bar : Sports & Outdoors

They are re-branded and marketed under the Millett brand name.

You will have to source some 35mm rings. These have worked well for me.

Amazon.com: TAC Vector Optics Tactical Mark 35mm Riflescope Picatinny Mount Ring Fit NightForce Schmidt Bender Color Black (35 Centimeters): Sports & Outdoors

Regular Weaver bases won't work as the slots are too narrow. You need Burris XTR bases or a picatinny rail.

Bill.

Top Bottom