What's new

Skin changes

hello all,

Since I've made the switch to DE shaving my skin has changed, and not in a good way. I find my pores looking like minuscule bumps when looked at in the light, and I'm finding my stubble is a lot more coarse (which apparently is a myth). I'm wondering if DE shaving does indeed change the skin, or will this subside? My skin looks worse and not better, so I am worried that I am doing something very wrong and damaging my skin, or the perhaps DE shaving is not for me, thank you.

Can you give more details such as how long have youbeen shaving, what's your whole shave process and what gear do you use?

You've struggled with DE shaving. There is nothing that says you have to shave that way. If shaving another way worked, go back to that.

Hard to say, but you may be using an angle that is too steep. That is you are scraping more than shaving. Try lifting your razor so that you get more cap on your face.

As to hurting your skin. I don't think you can do that. Skin is constantly regenerating, so the skin you shave today is not the skin that you will be shaving in the future.

Hard to say, but you may be using an angle that is too steep. That is you are scraping more than shaving. Try lifting your razor so that you get more cap on your face.

As to hurting your skin. I don't think you can do that. Skin is constantly regenerating, so the skin you shave today is not the skin that you will be shaving in the future.
This^^ you may well be abrading your face with too much pressure or a wrong angle.

How long have you been DE shaving? Apart from how your skin is looking, are you experiencing irritation, i.e. soreness as well? Too much pressure and/or using the wrong angle can certainly cause problems. It takes some experimentation to find products that agree with you and your technique is also a big factor.

I'm not sure what to say, I'll have to wait and see. It's quite early in my DE usage therefore I'll have to work on technique and see what happens. Perhaps what I'm seeing is simply acne and not really ingrowns or bumps. My skin has been out of wack recently and I'm not sure why, I'm trying not to attribute it to DE shaving but it's easy to. Anyways, I'll work on everything and I'll give it some time.

I'm not sure what to say, I'll have to wait and see. It's quite early in my DE usage therefore I'll have to work on technique and see what happens. Perhaps what I'm seeing is simply acne and not really ingrowns or bumps. My skin has been out of wack recently and I'm not sure why, I'm trying not to attribute it to DE shaving but it's easy to. Anyways, I'll work on everything and I'll give it some time.

If the problem goes away 10-20min after you shave you probably have irritation. That will go away with technique. If you are experiencing acne, it is probably not from DE shaving. The whole wet shaving routine is good for controlling acne: washing beforehand, using a good quality soap or cream, the exfoliant action of the brush, and post shave with either witch hazel or alum. Even as an adult (I'm 46) I still get limited acne in a few spots. I've found the alum does a very good job of preventing it and controlling it when it does hit.

If the problem goes away 10-20min after you shave you probably have irritation. That will go away with technique. If you are experiencing acne, it is probably not from DE shaving. The whole wet shaving routine is good for controlling acne: washing beforehand, using a good quality soap or cream, the exfoliant action of the brush, and post shave with either witch hazel or alum. Even as an adult (I'm 46) I still get limited acne in a few spots. I've found the alum does a very good job of preventing it and controlling it when it does hit.
I have not implemented a post shave routine as of yet.. I will look into alum and/or witch hazel.

Top Bottom